Assigning a private number plate - hot-diga-dee
Hi,

My wife has just bought a used car. We had a few weeks ago put her private plate on retention so we could sell her old car. Having never done it before how do we go about putting the plate on the new car? Do we have to wait until we get the logbook back from DVLA before we can asign the plate to the car.

Thanks,

Pete.
Assigning a private number plate - Doc
You will need to apply to your local DVLA office to assign the registration to your vehicle.
You can apply by post or in person and you will need your Certificate of Entitlement or Retention Certificate, V5c logbook, a photocopy of your tax disc and you MOT certificate if applicable.
The reverse of your retention certificate has detailed instructions on the entire process.

Also remember to inform your insurance company of the change of details.

Assigning a private number plate - FotheringtonThomas
What is a "private" number plate? Is it a "Q" plate, or a "personalised" one? Don't tell me it's something to do with the army, please!
Assigning a private number plate - Doc
What is a "private" number plate? I

It is a personalised or "cherished" number.

'Q' plates cannot be transferred.
Assigning a private number plate - rtj70
And you never own a personalised/cherished plate either regardless of how much you pay. Possible to lose it.

If it's post 2001 vehicle then I hope it's properly spaced, in the right size and typeface, has the postcode and name of the plate supplier and has the necessary BS standard mark. Or you'll have to have them remade to pass any MOT and remain legal.
Assigning a private number plate - hbosken
Nah - you get one set made properly, and another with the spacing and fonts completely wrong. On the day of the MOT, you simply stick the pukka plates on top of the wrong ones.

At least that's what people around here tend to do.

Myself, I have a standard reg number - but at least it's personal - no one else has the same number (unless they've cloned it!)
Assigning a private number plate - tr7v8
>>> If it's post 2001 vehicle then I hope it's properly spaced in the right size
and typeface has the postcode and name of the plate supplier and has the necessary
BS standard mark. Or you'll have to have them remade to pass any MOT and
remain legal.

And why wouldn't it be. This is the sort of pompous comment that this forum suffers from!
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8
Assigning a private number plate - FotheringtonThomas
pompous comment

I read rtj70's post as a tongue-in-cheek comment denigrating the new regulations about number plates, rather than a "pompous comment" (cf.).