What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
yr 1999 - remote key - battery change - dipsomaniac
just changed the battery on remote key - 1999 focus. can someone explain the procedure for sync'ing (can't spell synchronising) the key? have tried searching the forum but couldn't find the answer although i am sure it is on here somewhere.

is it normal for all doors apart from the passenger door to open when manually unlocking car using the key in drivers door?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/10/2007 at 20:15

remote key - battery change - dipsomaniac
i have tried switching ingnition from position I to II four times, return to postition I and hold a button until a chime is heard.

i get a chime after four turns but not when i hold a button. remote doesn't work. has anyone any idea why?
have just tested the old battery and it is reading 3.1V so it looks like it the battery wasn't the reason remote has stopped working.
remote key - battery change - Dynamic Dave
See if the following helps:-

www.mirez.co.uk/KeyProg.htm

i have tried to programme several times but the remote still doesn't work.
remote key - battery change - mikej
The remote for my 1999 Focus Zetec also stopped working a few years ago. There are quite a few causes for this problem and it's usually a case of starting with the cheapest so like you I changed the battery first, but that made no difference.

Other causes ? The remote itself might be defective (my buttons certainly don't feel as positive as they used to), the key might need reprogramming or there may be a problem with the receiving module or one of the central locking door motors or mechanism etc etc

Incidently - you do know you can change the battery in the keyfob without any reprogramming needed ?

If you need some pointers, there are some key-reprogramming instructions here :

www.focusowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22849&hi...g

As for the problem with your passenger door - no, it should open with all the rest when you turn the key manually. This might even be a pointer to the cause of your problem - ie. if the mechanism is jammed or the motor broken, then perhaps that would cause the remote central locking to fail ?
thanks for your replies - i will post an update when i find the problem.