What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Will a sofa fit in the car, or do I need a van? - Lou_O
Hi,

Looking at a 2nd hand sofa in the next couple of days and I was wondering if I'll be able to fit it in a car or rent a van.

The sofa is:

Length: 153 cm, Width: 88 cm, Height: 75 cm

Will this go into my 1999 Accord hatchback, my mate's 1994 Mondeo hatch or will I need something bigger?

TIA,

Lou

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2007 at 18:17

Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - horatio
Well get your tape measure and find out.
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Lou_O
Thanks for your valuable input.

Next time why not go and make a cup of tea and kick your dog instead?

L
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Happy Blue!
Your problem will be the sloping sides and rear of the load area. The load area dimensions may be fine, but the 'tumblehome' could scupper you. As the first respondent said - get the tape measure out! but measure around the base of the window not the floor and allow a couple of inches at elast in all dimensions.
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - adverse camber
you are the one with the cars and the sofa. And unless it is square then the orientation of the sofa to the internal shape of the car boot makes a difference.

The size of the boot opening or the internal layout could be the limiting factor, how do you expect anyone else to answer the question?

It is *far* easier for you to measure and judge yourself rather than ask us.

It would go in either of my cars ok if that helps.
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Mapmaker
I presume this is a wind up as we don't know what shape the sofa is?

Just in case it is serious, try hiring a man and van. They're about £10-£15 an hour round here (Poles with elderly Transits who provide a superb service).

Edited by Mapmaker on 16/10/2007 at 16:24

Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Stuartli
>>Next time why not go and make a cup of tea and kick your dog instead?>>

Well it is a bit of a silly question...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Lud
kick your dog
instead?>>

Or better still your cat, but not too hard of course although they are surprisingly resilient animals.

Basically kicking a small domestic animal is far nobler than, er, whatever else you might do if you weren't doing that. At least it is if the thing you are doing other than kicking a small domestic animal is rather carp.

Best of all though, stuff an enormous piece of furniture up the jaxie of an unsuitably tiny car.

That'll learn them.

Edited by Lud on 17/10/2007 at 01:47

Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - R75
Just a word of warning (learned the hard way) the opening in the accord is tapered, I found this out when picking up a table, hence it would not fit in the way I had planned and would not go in any other way!!! But I can tell you that you can get a full bathroom suite including bath, toilet and sink in the accord with the rear seats down and the boot will shut :o)

I am assuming here you have the Aerodeck when you say hatchback? (estate)

Edited by TU on 16/10/2007 at 16:24

Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - bell boy
will it not go on the roof held with some twangy straps?
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - OldSock
Great minds think alike BB!
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - OldSock
Just do what many others do - rope it to the roof and tank down the motorway @ 80mph :-)
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Lud
Anyone ever seen a piano on top of a fifties upright Ford Popular?

I have. The car didn't fall over, but it did take a very long time to return to a more or less upright position after any sort of bend.

:o{
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - bell boy
i once went through a vaulted archway in a transit luton loaded ,unloaded the luton and then couldnt get the van out,5 of us had to reload everything back on the van and all sit on the tailgate to get the van out,there were some lights in the vaulted ceiling on arrival ,guess what was there when i got the van out.

happy days :-(
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Mapmaker
Like Bellboy, I once took a Hilux into a garage with about a ton of feed on board. (It was probably overladen but hadn't been on a public road.) After unloading, I had to reload it to get it out again...

I once hired a Luton van. Drove into a carpark, under the height barrier - people take Lutons in there all the time, so didn't give it a second thought. When i drove out again, I did notice the bar, so I went very slowly and stopped just before it would hit. The bar bumped gently along the top of the van. Ouch - but how else to get out?
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - normd2
if you do get it in be careful if you try shutting the tailgate - it takes ages to clear up all the glass if it's just half-an-inch too big... seen it done, it's not pretty
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Gromit {P}
If you haven't got access to the car to measure it, have a look at the AA car test for each car. Except for the recent ones (no idea why), these include plan and elevation drawings of the car with the important dimensions - boot size at the tightest points, hatch size, legroom etc. marked out.

That said, do double-check with your tape measure before collecting the sofa, especially if you have a long drive ahead of you!
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - George Porge
Forget the sofa and just buy bean bags, you'll get 4 and a half in the back of your honda so take a stanley knife with you

;o)
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - helicopter
Who needs a car or van?

In Beijing a couple of years ago I saw a sofa , plus wardrobes and other furniture roped to a trailer was being pulled along by a tiny guy on a bicycle .... This is the Chinese equivalent of the white van.

He was on one of the M25 type ring roads around the city, he went down an underpass no problem but getting up the other side was a bit of a struggle.. but he managed it - amazing.

Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - Big Bad Dave
I managed this in the early 90s. I squeezed a small sofa bed onto the back seat of a Peugeot 605 saloon. I don't know how I did it, but it took the best part of an hour and a lot of cursing.

I was taking it from my house in London to my sister's in Oldham and I stopped in a service station on the M6. I dutifully fitting the handbrake crooklock thingy and went for a burger. It was only after starting the car on my return, that I remembered I kept the key for the crook lock in the ashtray in front of the rear seats which was now completely unaccessible. My only option was to remove the sofa. But I couldn't open the rear doors because I was parked between two cars, and I couldn't roll it forward because the crooklock holds the gear selector in the park position.

Can't remember how long I waited for someone to return to the car next to mine so that I could wrestle that damn sofa out again, but I don't think I've ever been quite so irritated with myself.
Will it fin in the car or do I need a van? - PhilW
I bet it would go in a Berlingo!
--
Phil
Will a sofa fit in the car, or do I need a van? - Kevin
>Looking at a 2nd hand sofa in the next couple of days and I was wondering if I'll be able to
>fit it in a car or rent a van.

If your existing seats are so uncomfortable why not buy a Jaguar XJ. The seats in mine are as comfy as a sofa and the options list includes a drinks cabinet and seatback tables on the Daimler models.

Kevin...