What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1.8 litre - gearbox rattle - nclpilot
Hi

I have a rattle from my engine/gearbox when accelerating and putting the engine under 'strain'. This only lasts for a short time but am not sure if it is a gearbox or engine rattle.
The noise only happens when the car is in gear.

Any ideas?

{Engine details added to header from a forum search of past questions. Please inform if incorrect - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/10/2007 at 13:44

gearbox rattle - bell boy
could it be the plugs
gearbox rattle - Saltrampen
Could be the Dual mass flywheel. With lights and screen heater on, turn wheel side to side on the flat when stationary and see if you get the same rattle.
Does putting clutch in and out make a difference?

gearbox rattle - RichardW
Sounds like good old pinking to me - does only do it at low revs / high load situation? If so, change down and stop labouring the engine....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
gearbox rattle - nclpilot
Saltrampen - the rattle only happens when driving and in gear.

RichardW - what is pinking? The car is not under stress - it is when driving normally but it only occurs at times.
gearbox rattle - kithmo
Could be the intake manifold butterfly valves, new manifold required.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
Hi again,

Now having further problems. I went to start the car this morning and the car was turning over but not firing. This has happened intermittently over the last few weeks but it normally starts in the end. However, today the car wont start and has now completely died. When I put the key into the ignition, all the dials swing around to the end then when I try and start they go back to normal.
It is turning over but then when it dies, it does nothing. I left it for an hour or so and went back and the same has happened again.
Starting to think the car wasnt such a good buy!

gearbox rattle - Screwloose

Have you got a spark at the HT leads? Can you hear the fuel-pump run for a few seconds at key-on?
Yes I can hear the fuel pump run but no spark. This only happens intermittent and when it starts normally, it does so very brightly and without problem.
Just concerned with the dials throwing a wobbler!

That's the pod doing a self-test; it's usually because the voltage has dropped a bit.

Does the rev-counter read anything when it's cranking?
Just a little like its trying. The engine almost starts then dies off.

Could be many things; have you tried another key?
gearbox rattle - matt79
I had the same thing happen with my T reg Focus 1600 (difficult to start / dials sweeping across the instruments on startup) I changed the battery for a new 1 & its been fine ever since.
Incidently I now have a 51 reg Mondeo 1800 Zetec with the same problems as described above (rattling noise, difficult to start sometimes) so I will be changing the battery & hopefully that will cure the starting problem......