A160 cdi, swb fuel filter?? - piston power
hello, is this filter self bleeding? do i just fit the filter turn on the ignition wait till it fill's up?, more used to the good old primer pump & bleed screw! many thanks..
Merc A160 cdi, swb fuel filter?? - 659FBE
This is an engine which, mercifully I've not yet met. Most systems will re-start and run without trouble if you fill the new filter with fuel before fitting. Use clean fuel and fill it by the inlet port.

Merc A160 cdi, swb fuel filter?? - piston power
ha thats not that easy do i have to fill it manually or does the system fill itself? i understand what you mean but other than buying a can of diesel & putting the rest in the tank its a pfaff!!
The new filter has 3 fittings, 1x fuel in at the top,1x centre fitting is this for air? & 1x at the bottom is this the return? many thanks..
The bottom one will be the water drain.

Filling the new filter is not that hard. If you're desperate, fill the new filter with the contents of the old one, making sure that you tip the fuel from the outlet of the old filter (so the muck stays inside it) and that you fill the new filter at its inlet (so only filtered fuel reaches the pump). On my VAG engine, all you need to do this is a piece of hose - prop the new one up at a higher level and have a cup of tea whilst it fills (some fuel is left absorbed by the element).

You can't do this job without a certain degree of mess/diesel smell and I appreciate that the access on the A class is a contortionist's dream. You should save some money though...

Merc A160 cdi, swb fuel filter?? - madf
Surely there must be a rubber button you push to remove the air from the fuel lines and fill the filter. Much easier and less messy than filling the ilter. All diesels I have worked on have a rubber button.
madf
no button wish there was! looks like im filling the filter with some clean fuel surley there's a better way!!
I'm afraid hand priming pumps have all but disappeared on modern diesels - my VAG PD diesel doesn't have one.

Replaced the filter today all ok, air filter was black!! not been done for some time i guess, but running all nice and sweet.. thanks all..
Well done. This non-replacement of air cleaner elements by dealers seems to be a developing trend (presumably to increase their profits at the expense of our running costs). My VAG PD has a full dealer service history - the air cleaner was choked solid with muck at 25k miles and ran a lot better with a replacement. Once you've opened the housing it's far less trouble to change the element than to argue the toss with the dealer. I've kept the old element so it can go back in if I have a warranty claim.

Does your MB have a full service history?

Merc A160 cdi, swb fuel filter?? - jc2
Rubber buttons were only on Lucas/CAV/Rotodiesel filters ;never on Bosch and not on CR or similar.
The Bosch IDI fuel system on my partner's Peugeot 106D has a "squeezy hand grenade" primer pump in place of the rubber button type.

The reason that most later diesel systems don't have the manual primer is that they use an electric lift pump which is self-priming. The VAG PD system is the exception - the lift pump is one half of the (mechanical) tandem pump. Bosch claim it to be self-priming; I'm not going to test this.

Yes it's showing full history but the book is a duplicate? not sure if thats bad or not the air filter was a merc part & bosch fuel filter,
This car belongs to my grandad who dosen't do big mileage but he wanted a merc! so he got one and a nice car to drive it is 52,000mls on the clock good underneath original exhaust should be ok for a few years yet!
The issue with the filter is stupid what if some drivers are in large city's where there's lots of building work been done the car sucks all this crap up & 24,000mls is just daft in my opinion!!