What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - autumnboy
Having just returned from Canada, it was such a joy to drive over there doing some 1500 miles.

No Big Brother Cameras, Passing either side, Giving way to each other to merge, Just indicate to change lanes (No problem), Who cares about speed limits and Pedestrians having the right of way crossing a road on a green. Low injury/accident rates (ref. media reports)

Also the Blue Parking Permit issue: They have to pay the same as a normal driver and only have areas marked in car parks for Disabled Parking. (Which is adhered by, by leaving spaces empty for them.)

Complete opposite to the UK.

s
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - Pugugly {P}
Same thoughts after a dash to France and Belgium last weekend. The only truly bad driving I saw was mine (when I inadvertently pulled onto the wrong side of the road after doing an U turn on a quiet rural road), but I love travelling there, roads in Belgium were wet and very slippery but failed to upset 272 rear driven horsepower. UK Motorways on Saturday evening were uncrowded and allowed proper lane swopping. The BMW pulled in over 40 to the gallon with long cruises near the speed limit....
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - John S
Funnily enough, just got back from there myself - Ontario. Similar mileage too. Couldn't agree more. Quebec a bit more aggressive (and you can't turn right on red!), but still a delight. Relatively low speed limits, but so little congestion drivers don't seem to feel pressurised to make up time.

JS
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - spikeyhead {p}
It's what happens when you've got the population of SE England spread over an area comparable with China.

Frost damaged roads are common though, potholes slightly smaller than a smart car are allowed to remain for months.

It's been five years or so since I was last over there, generally very coerteous driving. The reason for pedestrians having priority is to stop them contracting hypothermia / being eaten by the insects!
--
I read often, only post occasionally
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - movilogo
Where in Canada have you been?

Vancouver to Calgary Trans Canada Highway is quite narrow compared to UK Motorways!
Sometimes its single carriage way - with passing lanes frequently to overtake lorries!

There's isn't always a hard shoulder on highways.

Regarding speed cameras, yes, it's a joy to drive :) But distances between cities are astronomical - has to be because Canada is a jumbo size country.
Been in and around Vancouver, Vancouver Island and as you to Banff area then onto Calgary.

As you say, it can be narrow in places but still wider than our A class roads. Had no problems in passing. But as we've said its a bliss to drive over there I had no problems in waiting for a passing lane to pass the long lorries.

The main thing I would warn anyone taking a long journey as this, is keep at least a minium of a quarter tank of fuel when passing through the Rockies. There ain't many places to get fuel.!!!!!!

But saying that I'd go back tomorrow if I had the chance.
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - normd2
I was in Calgary a couple of years or so ago and reckon I know one reason the driving standards are high. Heading into town I noted a vehicle in familiar colours in the distance on getting closer it transpired to be a tank (military, for the use of) in police colours!
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - FotheringtonThomas
generally very coerteous driving.

But, unless things have changed, we in the UK seem far safer on the roads:

Canada - 1997: 3,064 fatalites. Population: 30 million.
Great Britain - 1997: 3,599 fatalities. Population: 60 million.
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - Lud
Canada - 1997: 3 064 fatalites. Population: 30 million.
Great Britain - 1997: 3 599 fatalities. Population: 60 million.

But they have weather with a capital W in Canada. We hardly do although we go on about it all the time. I imagine a lot of the bad accidents are to do with ice and snow.
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - Marc4Six
More recent figures show the Canadians road safety improving quickly, while in the UK...

Canada - 2003: 2778 fatalities -9.3% on 1997
UK - 2003: 3508 fatalities -2.5% on 1997

You see most vehicles with the headlamps on, whether you want to or not but not the rear lamps.

There's a Topic running about " Headlights on during the day". I expect most have not driven abroad or are worried about their Carbon Footprint rather than the safety of others in good or poor conditions.

Another Point I never once saw anyone in wet conditions use the rear fog lights to blind whoever was behind.!!!!!!!!!

Someone mentioned about frost damage etc. OK they have far more snow and frost deeper than us. But they are repaired in all weathers and not having 100's of cones and speed camera's. Just a few signs to say "Construction Ahead - Slow" and they do adhere to that warning, like us if you speed you get done, but how how many of us take note of the speed????

We could go on about this till the cows come home, but I personally would wish we could learn from this type driving manner and improve our attitude to others.

UK driving vs Candian Standards. - carl_a
Well they are smarter over there, just look at the number of Toyota's, Honda's and Hyundai's they drive :)

I didn't spend much time on the roads in Quebec and Ontario, used their fantastic public transport. Although if your going out into the sticks there is no option.
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - TonyJ
In Nova Scotia this summer we came across roadworks requiring a single lane on the main highway south from Halifax for Mahone Bay & Lunenberg. Traffic through the works was controlled by Stop/Go boards & tailbacks at each side must have been 2-3 miles. There appeared to be complete acceptance of this & everybody waited for their turn with no obvious cutting in or diving to the head of the queue.
We could go on about this till the cows come home but I personally would
wish we could learn from this type driving manner and improve our attitude to others.

Then perhaps we'd become far better drivers than "them"[1], rather than just a lot better!

[1] where "them" is almost anyone else.
There's a Topic running about " Headlights on during the day". I expect most have
not driven abroad or are worried about their Carbon Footprint rather than the safety of
others in good or poor conditions.

I occasionally switch on my car lights when it seems to be a good idea - but not as routine. Psssht! to the "carbon footprint". Have you anything to say about the EC dropping their plan to make Daytime Running Lights compulsory, on the grounds that safety standards would be lowered?
UK driving vs Candian Standards. - ukbeefy
Another Point I never once saw anyone in wet conditions use the rear fog lights
to blind whoever was behind.!!!!!!!!!

that's because North American cars do not have rear fog lights - it's not required. If you see a US model limo or left hooker here in the UK you'll see a little aftermarket fog light stuck on to comply. I remember once being on a freeway in Miami in torrential rain with appalling visibility and finding the normal rear lights very hard to see. For once I wanted rear fogs..