What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MK 3 (1100cc) difficulty starting with hot engine. - milkyjoe
hi i have a pal who like me has a mk 3 fiesta but he is having trouble re-starting his engine especially if its still hot (running temp) ive never had this problem with mine so i cant really advise him... any ideas? thanks milky

what engine has your pal got ? - changes to subject line - PU
MK 3 difficulty starting with hot engine. - injection doc
Diesel petrol LPG ??? Engine size??? It all helps
MK 3 difficulty starting with hot engine. - bell boy
my crystal ball says 1100hcs
many miles on it but the odometer likes to tell porkies
the thesis on bad starting especially when hot?
its breathing badly and dying on its own crankcase fumes,very common on this engine
the signs? pull oil filler cap off when warm and see a good chuffer,in real bad cases these even chuff out of the dip stick as can be seen by oil all up the back of the bulkhead after a period of time
good old ford still making this engine till lately and harking back to 1953 ish

of course i could be wrong but "it would all be in the best possible taste"
MK 3 difficulty starting with hot engine. - injection doc
Yep I would go aslong with that too, cause they do suffer with the old compression problem, tired valves etc.
Rgds Doc
MK 3 difficulty starting with hot engine. - mfarrow
Stab in the dark, but maybe try replacing the emission control valve (red rubber mushroom) that sits in the air filter housing.

These are meant to limit the amount of crankcase fumes coming through on idle, but can turn themselves inside out with age, effectively leaving them open. About £4 from Ford.

--------------
Mike Farrow
MK 3 difficulty starting with hot engine. - milkyjoe
thanks all, it is the 1.1 ohv i will get him to clean out the breather pipes and to check the mushroom valve under the airbox
the fiesta packed up altogether today, friend rang for a lift back , whilst at the scene i asked him to pop the bonnet so i could have a look ..we turned the engine over but no spark at the plugs .... so checked ht leads werent loose, they werent i traced the wiring back to the crank sensor and noticed the sensor was loose so undid the torx bolt holding it in and half the sensor came away but the other half is stuck in the flywheel housing, theres nothing to grip to pull out the stuck part , any ideas would be appreciated

Edited by milkyjoe on 15/10/2007 at 21:12

MK 3 difficulty starting with hot engine. - Screwloose
mj

That's a first; I've had them where someone fitted the longer one and it was sheared off and jammed; but one broken, without someone trying to remove it, is new.

Screw a self-tapping screw into it and pull; they can rust in a bit, so some squirt might help...
thanks screwloose, will try the self tapper idea in the morning, the annoying thing is i have a spare sensor in my toolbox as i have the same model as this one and mine failed a couple of years ago so i accumulated small parts from the scrapyards over time, as you do! thanks again....
MK 3 difficulty starting with hot engine. - bell boy
id be tempted to smash what was left in there and hope it falls to the bottom of the gearbox and then fit my s/h one
last resort obviously though
hi, managed to drill and smash the sensor out and catch the bits through the starter motor aperture, fitted the new one and it fired first time , thanks for the help chaps