What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any advice, review? - A2B
Anyone have any advice about owning a Honda Prelude? Which are best and are the ok for high mileage?

Are parts availbale for reasonilble money? Are they a "good drive"?

Thanks
Any advice, review? - mike hannon
I've had a late 80s 2 litre twin cam and now drive a 2.2 Vtec.
I don't think they are as solidly put together as Accords but I've loved both.
Very rewarding drive - esp with 4-wheel steer - and both have given 35-odd mpg when driven fairly hard. Sound nice too, esp above the 5300 rpm Vtec switch-over point.
If you only need a two-seater but want something civilised and reliable they must be hard to beat - not much money either in the UK.
I seem to remember What Car describing them as 'grossly under-rated'. I wouldn't disagree with that.
Because of the 'bang for your buck' factor they have traditionally fallen into the hands of the boyracers as they get older - see numerous websites and forums.
No Honda parts are ever 'reasonable money' but you shouldn't need them very often and things like exhausts and filters are often about the same or not much dearer than pattern parts.
There's at least one UK Honda dealer who discounts parts and provides very good service (at least there was a couple of years ago, the last time I needed them).
Good luck if you go for it - avoid the ordinary! ;-)
Any advice, review? - A2B
Thanks,

I was thinking this or an accord 3 litre coupe.

Not driven either so would need to compare, like the looks of both.
Any advice, review? - Tornadorot
Leonard Setright used to swear by them. Owned several, I believe. And that's a man who knew his motors :-).
Any advice, review? - billy25
Owned and drove an "imported" 2.2v-tec 4w/s (shark-nose) since it was three yrs old (95) through until i sold it two years ago (05) that made it 15yrs old, still got a Grand for it!.
One of the best and most satisfying smile-inducing cars it has been my pleasure to own!. In the ten years i had it, apart from usual wear and tear replacement eg tyres/brake pads etc, it only ever broke-down once, (distributer packed up, apparently a well known fault on this model). Other points to watch: on "Auto's" worth having the auto-fluid changed and the strainer cleaned, if you have an auto, you will know when this needs doing when the "sport-light" starts flashing, if you leave it too long after this it gets to the stage when it wont start until the pressure has dissipated off the valves, this was up to 30mins on mine sometimes ;-(, doing the above,after taking advice from this site cured it.
The only other bit of advice is too get a s/s exhaust, inc front-pipe put on it asap, ok, quite expensive initial out lay, but a front pipe alone for mine was going to be £200 shipped over from Belgium, a full s/s system cost me £360, and i've never needed worry about it since! None of the British variants fit, the lower plate is different, I suppose you could cut if off and weld it on the new pipe if you wanted, but its just a faf in my opinion.

Billy
Any advice, review? - R75
We had one in the family from new, K reg - we ran it up to 185k miles, rear wheel arches rust, had them done 3 times, apart from that it was a fantastic car - great to drive and reliable over all.
Any advice, review? - mike hannon
I forgot to say, the 2 litre is ok, too, if not as lively.
My 2.2 Vtec has the autobox with sequential shift and I like it very much, though I have taken note of comments that it isn't very strong and it's a good idea to keep the fluid clean.
If you fancy the 3-litre Accord coupe I can only say I would be tempted too - drove one a few years ago and was very taken with it, nearly as good as my old Legend coupe. They are like hens' teeth here in France, though.