What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Zetec Sports Pack? - Jase
Hello,

Post on behalf of internet shy friend.

Friend wants a new Mondeo and local dealer is offering to throw in a suspension pack (guess this is the Zetec Sports Pack of sports suspension, 17? alloys, rear spoiler (Zetec) £500 - taken from recent HJ roadtest ) .

Friend is concerned this will make the ride too hard and crashy, but like the appeal of the bigger wheels and the spoiler - standard dilemma!

Has anyone driven the new Mondeo with and without the sports suspension and can comment?

Thanks

Zetec Sports Pack? - Carse
Hi Jase,

Sorry I do not have any personal knowledge of the said vehicle but surely if the dealer is offering such an option your friend should ask to test drive the vehicle or a similar spec with the options they are concerned about.

The reason for making this possibly obvious point is everyone's perceptions are different as I currently have a ST Mondeo with 18" wheels and lots of people have stinging views on such large alloys with such low profile tyres but I find the ride very bearable and the seats are superb

Carse
Zetec Sports Pack? - kithmo
Although the bigger wheels and spoiler are free, remember that insurers will add a premium for anything that is not "standard" and the 18" tyres are going to be more expensive to replace. My previous 2001 Mk3 Ghia X had 17" wheels and the ride was fine (50 profile tyres), my current 2005 Zetec has 16" (55 profile) tyres and I wouldn't say the ride is any softer.
2005 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 130ps
Zetec Sports Pack? - Dunclane
Kith - If extras are factory / standard dealer fit then you will not incur additional insurance costs. I would personally opt for the sports suspension as I have a 04 Zetec and when I drive a colleagues 05 Ghia I find it noticeably softer. I suppose its personal preference in the end.
Zetec Sports Pack? - rtj70
If you have the Zetec sports pack then declare to insurer. It may cost nothing extra but at least you're covered. If it does then it probably is not much.

Replacing wheels with larger ones than the standard model, even if doen at the dealer, is still a modification.