What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
98 T-sport Brake light problem-tracing? - mattieboy
Hi all

I've finally figured out why I was getting flashed by other drivers - the brake lights aren't working.

I've checked fuses and bulbs (didn't think it would be a bulb as all 3 lights are out and there's no warning signal on the dash). I suspect switch, but would like to make sure there's nothing else I should check or try prior to getting and fitting. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Also, is fitting a relatively simple process? I haven't yet got a haynes but that will be bought along with the switch. I'm looking at GSF for the switch unless there are any better palces other know about - again, all comments welcome.

Thanks in advance.
s
98 Audi A3 T-sport Brake light problem-tracing? - Screwloose

Brake pedal position sensors are a ludicrously common failure on all VAG cars. [You have checked the fuse?]

They are also very tricky to fit without breaking the laughably flimsy switch - I always buy two. A tech in a VW dealership holds the record for breaking seven before one finally clicked round and worked.

They're only about £7 from the dealers; so why you'd want a cheap pattern copy...?
98 Audi A3 T-sport Brake light problem-tracing? - mattieboy
Cheers screwloose, exactly what I needed to know.

And yep, replaced fuse with known good one and still no lights.

Any ideas how long/difficult the job is? I've yet to get stuck in, be interested to hear how much time I should put aside for it.
98 Audi A3 T-sport Brake light problem-tracing? - Screwloose

Book time - 10 minutes. Drop the lower dash [a few screws] and you're looking at it - beside the clutch pedal one.

Probably got four wires on it [two for the engine management of whatever engine you've got.] Black, brown or purple in colour - all failed "cures."

It just fits into it's hole and twists to lock - simple, any fool could design a switch to do that......

[The trouble is - just any fool wasn't good enough; they brought in a fully paid-up moron!]
98 Audi A3 T-sport Brake light problem-tracing? - mattieboy
Thanks again Screwloose, missus is (hopefully) collecting the switch from audi dealer tomorrow, was worried it would be one of those fiddly jobs that take up a whole afternoon!