What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
00 1.8 turbo,whining noise from fan/cambelt pulley - clachnacudden
Hi Again..

Hope you can help.

I have noticed (when I am sitting in the car) a whinning noise, which seems to be coming from a fan/cambelt pulley. I thought for a while that it may be the bushes on the pulley had gone, and that I may have to get them replaced, but now I am not too sure.

Anyway, i tried to identify exactly where the noise was coming from but on the Audi there is so many pulleys...Then I tried changing gear (I have an Automatic), the tone changes significantly when I move from park, neutral etc. Would this indicate one of the pulleys/bushes in the cambelt? The noise definitely comes from the front of the car, but is most noticable when you are in the car itself..especially when sitting at, say, the traffic lights?!!

I had the cambelt, dampner, waterpump etc, changed at the Audi dealer 3000K ago (3 months)....Help, please?

Best, Craig
s
Anyone...?
00 1.8 turbo,whining noise from fan/cambelt pulley - Screwloose
craig

Use a long screwdriver or similar, held against your ear, to listen to each component individually.

I've seen fan belt tensioners and alternator bearings do this on the 1.8t - but the consequences of a cam-belt tensioner failure are so catastrophic on this engine that this needs attention fast.
Thanks for your reply...

but I am not quite with you in relation to the screwdriver idea...(i.e. holding a screwdriver next to a fast spinning component)?

Can you enlighten me?
00 1.8 turbo,whining noise from fan/cambelt pulley - Screwloose

That's what adds the spice; the element of danger.....

A proper mechanic's stethoscope is better than a flying screwdriver.....
Surely the Audi dealer would have noticed the bad bushes/bearings when they changed the belt, etc....

well maybe not!!!?