What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1.8 Zetec, engine cuts out when revs drop. - xxbarbsxx
Hi

Ive been reading your posts on VSS and wondered if you think that my problem if the caused by this??????

Car: Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec

Faults:

Speedo drops to O any time it likes
When it does drop to 0 and you drop down gears and speed at junction or roundabout the engine cuts out and the car dies. The battery, oil and engine light comes on and you have to re-start the car. It ok when you going along only when you slow down dies. This problem has gone from rare to every time driven near enough!!!!!
Have had tracking light come on on a couple of occasions and WILL NOT turn off until car restarted.
Have had digital speedo and miles disappear on a couple of occasions.

As you can imagine I am vary weary of driving it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have had the car hooked up and had the engine management checked as was told could be this - NO Problems found.

Also Told :

Could be the wire to the battery????
Could be fuel pump????

Please anyone who has had this and could tell me yes its defently this or that would be a STAR...as cant afford to keep taking it backwards and forwards to garage thats why i drive it as is!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in hope

Barb

slight tweak to subject line - PU
1.8 Zetec, engine cuts out when revs drop. - Screwloose
Barb

I've a feeling that this will turn out to be a failing display pod. It's an uncommon effect; but these dashpods do fail and I've certainly heard of broadly similar faults.

If this was just the common vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox failing, you wouldn't lose the mileage and trip display.

A power feed or earth fault could also be at the root of it; but I'd consider getting the dashboard [not just the engine] fault-codes read first.

Would this cause it to die though????

Yes i can hear you saying it I am woman and just put the key in and drive lol

Can i get this done (dashboard check) at any garage or will i have to take to ford do you know and any ideas on prices??????

Yes im also full of questions lol

Thanks

Barb
1.8 Zetec, engine cuts out when revs drop. - Screwloose
Barb

Yes; they can cause stalling faults, although it's rare.

Any well-equipped local garage that does diagnostics should be able to talk to the dashpod and read the codes and datastream. Prices vary - £30 upwards?
Screwloose

Thank you i will try

Barb