What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - nb857
My exhaust pipe had broken where the back section meets the centre section on my 1998 Swindon Civic. I want a genuine one.

The problem is I am very busy at work for at least the next month and don't have time to go to my friendly Honda emporium. The car won't be used much between now and then.

Apart from sounding like a prat am I doing any harm, nipping to the shops and such like?

As a side issue, why do exhaust pipe fail so often?

....and why when manufacturers spend money jumping through legislative hoops on bystander noise can some yoof stick a noisy pipe on his hatchback/sports bike and pass an MOT?
s
Causing any damage using it until I get a new one? - Number_Cruncher
You might not be doing the car any harm, but if any leaking fumes get into the car, you'll be doing yourself and your passengers some harm!

At 9 years old, it might be overkill to insist on an original exhaust - an aftermarket one will be significantly cheaper, both to buy, and to fit if you use an independent.

Or, if you are dead set on using your Honda garage, see if you can hire a car for a day, to satisy the demands of your modern busy lifestyle.

:-)

Number_Cruncher
Causing any damage using it until I get a new one? - Altea Ego
Plus any old bill you pass will be after you like flies to dog poo.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Causing any damage using it until I get a new one? - martint123
I don't know the layout of your car, but have known people melt rear plastic bumpers with a leaking pipe.
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - GregSwain
Apart from sounding like a prat am I doing any harm nipping to the shops
and such like?

No.
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - Falkirk Bairn
1998 Swindon Civic. I want a genuine one.
The problem is I am very busy at work for at least the next month
and don't have time to go to my friendly Honda emporium. The car won't be
used much between now and then.

Too busy for a month!! (Are you running the British Army or the Royal Bank of Scotland?)

Get someone else to take it or pop into a fast-fit place and get a 3rd party one. A 1998 car might not last longer than an exhaust.

My genuine Honda exhaust in 2004 (replaced under warranty) had UNIPART written all over it and it lasted only 18 mths - 18 mths on its pattern part replacement is still running OK and it was 50% of the Genuine Honda / UNIPART one!
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - J1mbo
An Indy could get you an OEM exhaust and it will work out a bit cheaper. Best of both worlds.
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - Bill Payer
>> My genuine Honda exhaust in 2004 (replaced under warranty) had UNIPART written all over it

I wonder if that's because the exhausts fitted when the car is built are often in one piece so rather than have to make 'genuine' spare parts, Honda find it more cost effective to buy in pattern ones?
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - mike hannon
>Too busy for a month!! (Are you running the British Army or the Royal Bank of Scotland?)<

No, he's working behind the counter at Northern Rock...

PS: Doing nothing but running to and fro to the shops etc is what does for exhaust systems quickly.
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - expatmanc
Aftermarket - some even do a guarantee/loyalty thing that after warranty expiry they replace it for a reduced price. Attractive proposition if this is failing semi-regularly?
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - injection doc
If it it using more fuel it will mean its running richer which in turn could iether shorten the life of the cat or damage it requiring a replacement!
Normally when an exhaust is blowing it upsets the emissions, if your unlucky to get stopped in a VOSA road side emission check ( which there are plenty about) you might have some explaining
Doc
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - Mikey Jay
ATS offer aftermarket exhausts with a three year warranty. Honda offer 2 years. I rest my case me lud.
Mike.
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - normd2
the exhaust on my Rover 214 (aka Honda Concerto) gave way in a similiar sounding place (one of the 90 degree bends) last weekend. National in Dunfermline took 25 minutes from me driving in to driving out to replace the centre and rear sections with a three year warranty one.
Will using with blowing exhaust cause any damage? - jc2
Kwik-Fit used to offer exhausts with one,two or three year warranty;exhausts were all the same-you just paid more to cover their costs if you ever came back.