What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - RB
What a good looking car. First time I've seen one in the flesh.

Despite Ford's intention of trying to get it "up market", the one I saw today was a true workhorse already - ladders on the roof rail/rack, filthy paintwork, and alloys covered in brake dust.

So maybe there is hope that as they start to appear, in a year or two's time, the prices will be "reasonable" for the used market after all!
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Roly93
I have to say that the new Mondeo has impressed me more than any new car for years ! Bearing in mind I have been an Audi and formerly BMW driver for 12 years, all I can say is that the pendulum is starting to swing in Fords direction on this one. The old Mondeo was a good car, but still had some elements of Ford cheapness about it, this seems to have been largely remedied on the new Mondy.
If I was Director of product development for BMW 3 series or Audi A4, I would have difficulty sleeping nights now !
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - GregSwain
If I was Director of product development for BMW 3 series or Audi A4 I
would have difficulty sleeping nights now !

The new Mondeo's a very large car compared to the original 1993 model - more like a 5 series or A6! Am equally impressed (I hate to admit), but it's one of the nicest looking cars anyone's made recently.
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - ForumNeedsModerating
Above views seconded. I've seen a couple now, saloon/estate & close-up. They are big, but don't, to my eye, look at all lummoxy, they verge on the svelte even. I'd be very interested in the new 2.2 170bhp(?) diesel engine that's been mooted, in an estate body - would 6-sp. auto be applied to it?
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - rtj70
I was very tempted by the new Mondeo but I think they've made it too wide for everyday driving. Two scenarios are some car parks I use in Manchester and driving on narrow roads in the Lakes.

What will I do in October 2011 when I get the next new car?
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Pugugly {P}
Very true. Its wider then a 5 series !, I was up in the lake in ours last week and I can assure you it was plenty wide enough ! The traffic was horrendous there, for the first time and the last time we went up in school hols time...

I was following an Issigonis Mini back from the pie shop just now and it was shockingly narrow. Cars have become bloated. I'm with this month's Bike magazine, introduce a width tax.

Trivia:

The Mk3 Cortina was "reduced" in width for the Japanese market where it sold in twos and threes ! (they had/have a width related tax)
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Chris White
Some stats for those interested (they should be accurate.ish)

Sierra

Length 4430 mm----Width 1700 mm----Height 1370 mm----Weight 1015 kg

Mondeo 96-99

Length 4556 mm----Width 1749 mm----Height 1372 mm----Weight 1283 kg

Mondeo 00-07

Length 4731 mm----Width 1812 mm----Height 1429 mm----Weight 1384 kg

Mondeo 2007 on

Length 4778 mm----Width 1886 mm----Height 1500 mm----Weight 1477 kg

Vauxhall Vectra (current)

Length 4611 mm----Width 1798 mm----Height 1460 mm----Weight 1335 kg

BMW 5-Series (current)

Length 4841 mm----Width 1846 mm----Height 1468 mm----Weight 1500 kg

Mercedes E-Class (current)

Length 4818 mm----Width 1822 mm----Height 1452 mm----Weight 1570 kg
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Lud
So a mint, tweaked 99 V6 is the one to have :o)
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - ukbeefy
That weight increase from Sierra to current Mondeo is an incredible 50%. I remember that my Dad's 1979 Peugeot 504 GLD weighed a whopping 1275kg and that was a decent solid car with a heavy engine. Now that would be a fairly lightish Focus type car I think...

That weight increase from Sierra to current Mondeo is an incredible 50%.

And the current base Mondeo is a 1.6litre engine. I don't know anything about the engine but I would have thought a 1.6 would struggle with that weight?
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - TurboD
Interesting, what are the comparative economy figures, and prices of course?
A lot of weight must be the 'toys' we all consider essential, and the safety devices that let us drive at 'rocket' speeds with seeming impunity( until one hits 44 tonne lorry, or vice versa)
That weight increase from Sierra to current Mondeo is an incredible 50%.

Sierras were made of tin-foil that rusted unbelievably fast though! I daresay a current model Mondeo would be a bit more substantial. Cars are bloated - I'd be very interested to see the dimensions of a current model Clio in comparison to a 1995 Astra.
Cars are bloated - I'd be very interested
to see the dimensions of a current model Clio in comparison to a 1995 Astra.

Your wish ;-)

Renault Clio 1.4 (current model)

Length 3986 mm----Width 1707 mm----Height 1496 mm----Weight 1135 kg

Engine 1390 cc----0-60 mph 10.9 s----Power Output 96 bhp----Top Speed 114 mph

Vauxhall Astra 1.4 (production 1 Oct 1991 to 19 Feb 1998)

Length 4051 mm----Width 1696 mm----Height 1410 mm----Weight 1008 kg

Engine 1389 cc----0-60 mph 15.5 s----Power Output 59 bhp----Top Speed 99 mph
Thanks CW, there's not much in it, is there?! The Clio is wider and taller than an old Astra, and less than 3 inches shorter. It also weighs more!
Thanks CW there's not much in it is there?!

I think it shows how engine technology has progressed in 10 years. The Clio's heavier but it's 1.4 engine is 35bhp more powerful and the Astra takes neraly 5 seconds more to get to 60.

I got my info from here - tinyurl.com/39ohru - use the Technical Data section on the right hand side. That's why I say accurate-ish. I'm assuming that the dimenions they quote are what was quoted by the manufacturer.
I think it shows how engine technology has progressed in 10 years. The Clio's heavier
but it's 1.4 engine is 35bhp more powerful and the Astra takes neraly 5 seconds
more to get to 60.

True, but the Clio's is a 16 valve, and that Astra would've started off with an 8v SPI engine (they were more torquey than powerful). 59bhp is dire for a 1.4 litre engine, as is the 0-60 figure! I'd expect most to be around 70-80bhp even back then. For comparison, the Nissan Sunny 1.4 16v in 1995 had 87bhp and did 0-60 in 12 secs. So the advances aren't huge when you compare like with like.
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - sony
59bhp is dire for a
1.4 litre engine as is the 0-60 figure! I'd expect most to be around 70-80bhp
even back then. >>

Try 90 bhp for a 1.8!! My old golf was a 1.8 SE and drunk so much petrol for a rubbish 90 bhp. Bear in mind VW were still selling the mk3 golf 1.8 with 90 bhp in 1998!!
I had an Astra on an M plate with a 1.4 engine. It had 90bhp. Think it was the multi-point injection version but it was not 16v.

That was too small in that car in my opinion so the slightly more powerful but heavier Clio won't be great either.
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - cheddar
Some stats for those interested (they should be accurate.ish)

To be clear are all those with or without mirrors, i.e. like for like?
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - craig-pd130
Having test-driven one, it really doesn't feel wide on the road, even if the width does look intimidating from the outside.

Goes, rides & handles very well indeed, and refinement / body control / noise suppression is excellent.
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - tyro
To be clear are all those with or without mirrors i.e. like for like?

& another question for Chris - I can see the bhp & 0-60 etc figures on the Parkers site, but I can't find the dimensions. Where does one find them?
& another question for Chris - I can see the bhp & 0-60 etc figures
on the Parkers site but I can't find the dimensions. Where does one find them?

There's a clickable link under the Engine & Trim section for each model name which opens up a new windows with more detailed info.

As for width with or without mirrors, not sure?
Thanks Chris. How could I have missed it? Must have been too early on Monday morning!
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - The Purifier
For what it's worth I think it's a quite a boring car to look at if you compare it to the Iosis concept to which its loosely based on. To be honest I'm not really a Mondeo fan I think in terms of ride and handling they are outstanding for a family saloon but they just lack a sense of occasion in my opinion
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Boggy
I agree with adatto, I prefer my "previous" shape. Instantly recognisable, quirky design rear light cluster (with the red circle when you brake), nice curves over the wheelarches - I think the new one looks too Laguna-ish.
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Brian Tryzers
I had one of those Astras (1993 L) with the 82 bhp 1.4 engine. It was a bad buy in so many ways - not least because I didn't really fit into it - but I always thought the engine was its best part. It was relaxed, sweet-sounding and usefully torquey at low speeds - much nicer, in fact, than the more powerful 16v 1.4 in the then-future Mrs Beest's Rover 214, off which you had to rev the pants to make any progress at all, and whose low gearing made it abominably noisy on the motorway.

I barely fitted at all in the Rover, and the Sierra wasn't much better, although I never had one; I didn't really get comfortable until I discovered Swedish cars a couple of years later. The extra height of modern cars is something I very much appreciate - that and the demise of the fatuous 1990s sunroof fad. }:---)
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - DP
So based on trends in the last 25 years, we are seeing a doubling of the weight of family saloons every 50 years or so, and the breaching of the two tonne mark for a family saloon sometime around 2032.

I understand why this bloating has happened, but it's a shame that nobody seems to publicise it in these environmentally conscious times. I consider it one of the few true failings of modern car design, and surely its only engine efficiency increases that have allowed manufacturers to get away with it for so long.

Low kerbweights automatically improve performance, handling, economy and emissions. Take a Lotus Elise S1 - A lowly 1.8 K-series engine from the early 90's, but in 550kg of car. Will leave 99% of other cars standing off the line or within semi-legal speeds, and return 45 mpg in daily use.

I would love to know what an 80's family car like a Sierra would be like with a bang up to date 150 bhp ish common rail diesel in it. What do you reckon, 0-60 in 7. something seconds and 75 mpg in real world use? 320 Nm in 1050 kg would be entertaining as well.

But we obsess about crashing.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Lou_O
But we obsess about crashing.
Cheers
DP

With around 3000 people killed each year on the roads it's probably worth obsessing over, all the small improvements that go into making cars safer have a cumulative affect.

I don't think it's in question that cars, especially in the super-mini category, are safer now than they were 15 or 20 years ago.

Lou

With around 3000 people killed each year on the roads it's probably worth obsessing over
all the small improvements that go into making cars safer have a cumulative affect.

That's under 10 a day, out of a population of 60-odd million. That gives you a 0.005% chance of being killed on the roads.
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Lou_O
That's under 10 a day out of a population of 60-odd million. That gives you
a 0.005% chance of being killed on the roads.

That's a very facile way of looking at it.

Lou
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Lud
That gives
you
>> a 0.005% chance of being killed on the roads.
>>

Even less if you are a car driver. A third at least of road accident deaths are pedestrians (often drunk), cyclists and bikers.

It's a very straight-forward, logical way of looking at it. That 0.005% figure is per year, so on a daily basis, you'd have to divide that by 365, meaning the chances of me being killed on the road today are one in 7.3 million. I won't be losing any sleep tonight.
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Altea Ego

There are over 100,000 deaths each year caused by cancer. 4000 people die at home in accidents each year. DIY is more dangerous than roads.
Given the number of people driving, walking, cycling in our roads and the billions of motoring miles done each year, 3000 deaths is nothing more than statistical noise.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Saltrampen
Bloated cars -
Car driveways and parking spaces are not growing in size, so when I come to buy another car,
I will jump down a category from mondeo size to focus size. I am pretty sure the Mk3 (00-07) mondeo has a similar width to the mk 2 Focus (05on) now anyway. The Mk 3 Focus will probably have the same boot size as the Mark 3 Mondeo when it eventually appears. This will mean that Families will turn away from these (small exec?) size cars even more so in the future.
As implied by DP in years to come, a supermini will be really a mini, a small car a family car, and a family car a large exec car etc..
It's a very straight-forward logical way of looking at it ..... meaning the
chances of me being killed on the road today are one in 7.3 million .......

Havent checked the stats though the odds are good, nevertheless it makes sense making cars ever safer, reduces injuries in non-fatals etc.

However gov road policy is not keeping pace with NCAP / manu lead initiatives, poor road surfaces, speed enforcement increasing congestion etc etc.
However gov road policy is not keeping pace with NCAP / manu lead initiatives poor
road surfaces speed enforcement increasing congestion etc etc.

No, I'll agree with that. No car can be as safe as its manufacturer intended when the moon has a flatter surface than some of the roads around here.
Saltrampen, that's exactly what I am now thinking for the car after next in late 2011 - Mazda6 in October. The Focus Mk III class of car will be near the outgoing Mondeo Mk III in size.
Bloated cars - ... I am pretty sure the Mk3 (00-07) mondeo has a similar width to the mk 2 Focus (05on) now anyway.

According to Parker's,
Focus Mk1-- 1702 mm
Focus Mk2 -- 1840 mm

Now that is an incredible increase in bloating. The current Astra is given as 1753, the current Golf as 1759, and the outgoing Mondeo 1812.

Can that figure of 1840 be correct? (It appears in HJ's test on this site, so I assume that it is.)

And why is the Focus so wide then?
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Stuartli
The new Mondeo, seeing that it was launched in June, seems as rare as hen's teeth in my area - not seen one yet...:-(

Even more puzzling is that Ford dealership adverts don't mention the new model, only that one is on view in each showroom.

Seems like a missed opportunity to me sales wise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
and the outgoing Mondeo 1812.

Is that what you call an 1812 Overture?

;-)
Saw my first new Mondeo estate on the road today - Mad Maxy
Is that what you call an 1812 Overture?

I think not, because an overture 'opens' a bigger piece/suite of music. This must be an 1812 requiem, or something. Doesn't quite hang together in the same way, does it? Pity.
I think not because an overture 'opens' a bigger piece/suite of music. This must be
an 1812 requiem or something. >>

Ah but to extrapolate the analogy perhaps the bigger piece / suite in the Mondeo IV ;-)