What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Amortising Diesel Costs - Happy Blue!
In HJ's update to the Hyundai I-30 test he states that...

"..Do the sums and at £2,000 cheaper than the 1.6 CRDI and £200 less fuel cost per 10,000 miles it?s going to take 100,000 miles to make up the difference in purchase price..."

In other words at present fuel prices, the increased fuel consumption of the petrol car is offset by its lower purchase price such that until you get to 100,000 the actual saving to you if you buy the diesel is nil. OK I can accept that, but...

If you bought one one each, and drive them identically for say 50,000 over three years, would you get more money for the diesel and would this not overcome the difference in the purchase price? If the answer is no, would you pay £2,000 for a car that may have more enjoyable driving characteristics, or would you buy a different model entirely on that basis.?
Amortising Diesel Costs - Paul I
Having worked in fleet underwriting typically a Diesel car will outperform a petrol car for the majority of it's life i.e. the residual price of a Golf 1.6 petrol after 3 years will achive £4375 (de-fleet) at sale where as a Golf 1.9 tdi will make £4750 I have used presentation figures but in very few cases does a petrol ever make as much as a diesel even with the higher intial purchase price.

Colour and Condition have an effect but more than likely it is a combination of spec, colour, condition and driveline which have the biggest effect.

paul
Amortising Diesel Costs - boxsterboy
And how can you put a value on either the added torque and flexibility of the diesel (if you prefer them) or the extra smoothness and no oily-hands-at-fill-up time (if you're a petrol head)?
Amortising Diesel Costs - madf
"oily-hands-at-fill-up time "

You must live in a different country.. not had that for 10 years +
madf
No, nor do I. But many petrol-heads will insist it still happens!
Amortising Diesel Costs - nick62
"oily-hands-at-fill-up time "
You must live in a different country.. not had that for 10 years +
madf

You obviously don't live in Liverpool, there are NEVER gloves on the forecourts and its always blamed on the taxi drivers apparently!!! Its the look from the dozy cashiers when you ask for some that drives me mad, its as if you have asked them for free fuel. I cannot think of anything worse than driving for 4+ hours with diesel on my hands. Its one of the benefits of having a petrol car for the first time in 12 years.

On a slightly different topic has anyone managed to get served by a cashier that's busy talking on their mobile phone or watching "Eastenders" on their 14" portable. It amazes me how they manage to serve you without speaking or looking at you at all.
Amortising Diesel Costs - Pugugly {P}
Carry some wipes in the car (or a few pairs of latex/plastic gloves) - never seen it as a problem myself.
Amortising Diesel Costs - madf
Certain fast food restaurants provide foc napkins and handwipes. I always have a few.

As for Liverpool filling stations: I lived there.. typical sloppy service from a people who could not care less . Not much changes I find ....
madf
Amortising Diesel Costs - bathtub tom
I found that you often inadvertently pulled out more than one glove, and you try pushing 'em back, so the rest went in the door pocket, for next time.
Amortising Diesel Costs - OldSkoOL
Higher purchase price and fuel costs has never even crossed my mind. I'm on my first diesel car atm; infact i replaced both cars this year i like them so much.

Doesn't bother me if they cost more as long as they are within my budget and the fuel price difference is nothing (in fact i fill up my diesel with V-Power diesel at 1.01p/l), a few quid extra, you spend that on a beer. I suppose some may call me naive, depreciation and running costs dont bother me as long as i can afford it. I have nothing else to spend my money on and the way i see is, my 180bhp diesel does more miles in a tank which wipes out slightly higher fuel bills than my previous 1.6 petrol car but its literally 10x faster and 10x more enjoyable.

If i could buy an Audi RS4 i would as long as you can afford it who cares - enjoy it :) ... just my opinion

I cannot think of anything worse than driving for 4+ hours with
diesel on my hands. Its one of the benefits of having a petrol car for
the first time in 12 years.

I rest my case!!
Amortising Diesel Costs - Bill Payer
but in very few cases does a petrol
ever make as much as a diesel even with the higher intial purchase price.

Sorry if I'm reading that wrong, but isn't the point that the diesel car costs more when new?
Amortising Diesel Costs - daveyjp
"On a slightly different topic has anyone managed to get served by a cashier that's busy talking on their mobile phone or watching "Eastenders" on their 14" portable. It amazes me how they manage to serve you without speaking or looking at you at all."

Another reason I use a local Shell staiton - they now have pay at pump. So much easier than having to communicate with someone too busy doing anything but their job. I get tired of asking for VAT receipts three times! Pay at Pump gives you a VAT receipt automatically.

Shell also have paper towels which I use to cover the pumps when filling - easier than using the flimsy plastic gloves - which they also provide.
Amortising Diesel Costs - RichardW
I've just bought a Xantia Hdi. Anybody that tells you the difference in cost new will evaporate after a few years is in cloud cuckoo land - I paid £3k for the diesel - an 'equivalent' petrol would have been less than 1/2 that. However, since I do 25k miles a year, and the petrol would manage say 35 mpg (being generous) vs the 50mpg the diesel is doing, I am saving around £850 a year. At a more realistic 30 mpg, I am saving £1350. So the first year pays the difference in purchase price, the second year pays for the new HP pump I hope I won't need, years 3 and 4 save the £3k for the next car. I like the way they drive too.

Still looking for a drawback to diesel motoring after 200k miles.....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Amortising Diesel Costs - PhilW
"Xantia Hdi-I like the way they drive too."

They are a much under-rated car Richard - we have had ours for for 4 years now (bought second hand)and it has now done 95k. It still feels good to us, a superbly reponsive engine, brilliant ride and good handling for "normal" driving. It also has all the "bits and bobs" - leather, climate control, sunroof,electric seats etc. Like yours, ours does 50mpg and even does over 35mpg towing a caravan. OK, a few things go wrong (new electro valve at £75, and some bushes on front suspension this year) but otherwise it's normal wear and tear. I suppose it costs about £200 - £300 per year in servicing and MOT costs and if necessary I could save on that by changing oil, filters, pads etc myself. Ours is still on original spheres - don't know how that works!
Such a pity Cit didn't just keep updating it rather than going to the ugly C5. I think they still look good.
Incidentally, I did a search for a "low" mileage one recently - there are not many about - hope you got a good'un!
Phil

--
Phil