What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
306 d turbo starting problems - nafmughal123
hiya guys

I have a problem with my 306 d turbo on S 98. The car has no glow plug light displayed on the dash at all. It has a major starting problem in mornings it just wont turn over. the starter is running but engine just wont tick over. I usually add this diesel starter spray i add in to the air intake at the front of the grill and it fires up, but a puff of white and blue smoke does burn from exhaust when it does start. i don't know what the problem is i have just done a full service on the car today as well changed the glow plugs oil air filter oil filter fuel filter as well. it just will not tick over at all if the car is cold. it does start later in the day without the spray being added but it does struggle to start usually takes 10secs. there also seems to be turbo lag on the car as well as well i have owned 2 other 306 d turbos and they seemed to be fine and pick up speed fine but this 1 has turbo lag and u really have to put the pedal to the metal to get it going, please help me guys thanks
306 d turbo starting problems - RichardW
apparentlywehavepunctuationspacesandcaptiallettersintheenglishlanguage :-))

Sounds like the glow plug relay is faulty. It's a big blue jobbie, usually bolted to the N/S inner wing. Need to check connections for corrosion and see if the unit is getting power. Most likely it has gone faulty (they do from time to time) and will need to be replaced. Try and get it fixed and avoid using easy start - this can wreck the engine.

You're not really describing turbo lag, just a general lack of power - check that the pipe from the intercooler to the injection pump is in place and not split, and that the throttle cable is properly adjusted (there should be no slack in the serrated black plastic adjuster).

Of course the 2 could be connected, and a lack of compression might be giving poor starting and performance, but the lack of GP light suggests an electrical fault for the starting first off.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
thanks mate ill have a look at this relay.

well ur right its not turbo lag but loss of power the turbo is not performing as it should be. ill stop using easy start.

thanks for your help i will kepp you updated.
sorted the starting problem. it was the relay and the wiring loom from the relay to starter that was burnt out. but i still have problem with the lack of power, i get power when i touch the petal to the floor, turbo is wrking but has lack of power could it be the accelator pedal itself?

thanks guys.

306 d turbo starting problems - GregSwain
Check the pump-end of the accelerator cable - if it's slack, tauten it a bit (obviously not so much that the idle speed is raised). If it's really slack, get a new cable as it's obviously stretched and will no doubt snap at the most inconvenient time.
thanks guys sorted it today, but now the steering rack has gone faulty on the car and i need to fit a new 1 in, im not having any luck with the car only bought it 3 days ago from an auction, its taught me a lesson!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for all ur help guys

i sorted the starting and lack of power problem.

thanks agn