What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - daveyjp
HJ Quote:

"Every week I get around 20 e-mails asking for a Ford Focus size diesel automatic.
And I have to tell the reader sorry, apart from the Mercedes A and B Class there aren?t any."

What about the VAG DSG options?

Tweak to subject line..PU
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - Ruperts Trooper
Isn't the Vauxhall Astra 1.9CDTi available with auto transmission?

Ford are now starting to use the Aisin-Warner (division of Toyota) autobox for their front-wheel drive diesels, like Vauxhall and Volvo have done for many years.
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - Nickdm
Volvo S40/V50 has offered the D5 diesel with autobox for the past 12 months. Bit pricier than the Hyundai mind...
HJ's Latest Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - Dynamic Dave
Isn't the Vauxhall Astra 1.9CDTi available with auto transmission?

Only the 120PS version. Don't know why it isn't available for the 150PS engine though - when it is available in the Vectra.
HJ's Latest Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - Aprilia
I've driven a Vectra 1.9D with the 5-speed auto. Superb for m/way and long distance A-road driving. Very poor around town - turbo lag + shift lag and then a great rush of power. Makes pulling out of a junction feel like a fairground ride.
HJ's Latest Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - Bill Payer
turbo lag + shift lag and then a great rush of power. Makes pulling out of a junction feel like a
fairground ride.

The previous Mondeo TDCi Auto was like that - bordering on ridiculous. It's a good job is was auto, because you needed to hold the wheel with both hands when it did eventually get going. I had one on test for a few days and ended up spooling the engine up while holding it on the brake at roundabout & junctions.
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - Avant
Aprilia's comments about the Vectra apply also, not surprisingly, to the Saab 9-3. The auto is hopeless, and the manual not great either, although to some extent you can control the revs. I've just tried a 9-3 - I came up to a roundabout - no need to stop but need to move quickly - into second - FLOP. I made it but someone else probably had to brake.
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - cheddar
With a manual car the driver is able to compensate for what he might initially perceive on a test drive as a little lag when pulling away to the extent that he does not notice it after a while however with an auto this of course is not possible.
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - bazza
What is most interesting is the speed that the Korean manufacturers have caught up and matched the European makes in terms of overall build and dynamics. It's only a few years since Hyundai and co were perceived very much as a cheap budget make, offering cheap, budget cars. Now we have a product that appears to be competing on the same level as the established makes. I do wonder if GM and Ford etc will be around in 10 years in this market.
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - cheddar
What is most interesting is the speed that the Korean manufacturers have caught up and
matched the European makes in terms of overall build and dynamics.>>

I dont beleive they have, the whole market has moved on, the gap is still there.

I do wonder if GM and Ford etc will be around in 10 years in this market.

With Ford drawing universal praise for the S-Max, Galaxy and Mondeo matching MB, Audi and BMW quality I cant see that they are under threat from Hyundai yet.
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
I dont beleive they have the whole market has moved on the gap is still
there.

Lets hope that the European manufacturers take the Korean threat slightly more seriously. From what I have read, I don't see where the Koreans are lagging behind in terms of build and dynamics.
With Ford drawing universal praise for the S-Max Galaxy and Mondeo matching MB Audi and
BMW quality I cant see that they are under threat from Hyundai yet.

Matching (recent) MB and Audi quality isn't much to shout about.

Mondeos have been drawing universal praise for years, hasn't stopped the market share from shrinking. As an ex-Mondeo owner I hope Ford do well, but personally I don't want a car the size of a 5-series - and if I did it would be a 5 series or A6 that would be on my list, not the Mondy. The latter point being purely about looks, both inside and out, rather than how they drive.
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - GregSwain
Lets hope that the European manufacturers take the Korean threat slightly more seriously. From what
I have read I don't see where the Koreans are lagging behind in terms of
build and dynamics.

They're not, it's pure badge snobbery. As someone who's driven a few Kias and Hyundais, my only criticism is the indicators are on the "wrong" side (only a problem if you have another car with them on the "normal" side). Compared to my ex's 2003 Renault Clio, a Kia Rio is posively luxurious. Seen a few Ceeds around lately too, so people are slowly beginning to realise that Korean cars can hold their own against Euroboxes. Of course the badge snobs will all view this post as very one-sided, especially as I've criticised the quality of a European car.

If I wanted a medium sized diesel auto, it'd be the Hyundai for me. Their recent diesels are really quite good, far better than the Clio's DCi unit.
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - Altea Ego
caught up and matched the European makes in terms of overall build and dynamics.

Nope. A skoda octavia knocks spots off them.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I don't believe they have, the whole market has moved on, the gap is still there.
I guess that's what my point is, maybe there is still a gap, but it's a lot smaller than it used to be. 10 years ago, anything Korean was considered as a bit of a joke really wasn't it, now the Cee'd and this latest Hyundai model is being seriously compared with the traditional opposition. Not forgetting the 5 year warranty and lower price.
Incidentally, I drive a Focus and an Octavia. Agree the Octavia is a decent motor, though the Focus is vastly over-rated! I can't comment on the new Mondeo as I still haven't seen one!
Cheers

Apologies for the italics, no idea what happened there!

sorted it I think it may have been the <<<<< things binned them and the text returned to normal - PU
HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - ukbeefy
I think the key thing is that the private car market is one where the Koreans may well make distinct headway. Warranty and perceived reliability may well count there if they slowly but surely establish a norm that a car could have a 5-7 year warranty. That would change the game and make alot of the European makes work alot harder on day to day reliability. I wonder how profitable some european makes would be funding 5-7 years of warranty claims especially on more expensive items like ongoing electrical gremlins and auto box problems etc.

Also I wonder if in the mass market segment if most makes are all now at a "good enough" level that you don't necessarily need to spend the full price of a Golf for example. Is the car market at least in the middle becoming squeezed between those buying a car and wanting cheap as possible as a general commodity where all are much of a muchness (like buying a PC) and those only looking at a premium make for (perhaps misplaced) perception of brand/quality.

I wonder how much longer alot of the Europeans can keep list prices creeping up - so that a Golf class car is often shown with a £16k and upwards price tag rather than something starting with £12 or 13...I'd really love to know who are the in my mind silly punters putting near £18k on the table for a car from a very mass market manufacturer for a fairly bog standard hatchback eg a Golf.

Look at other areas. For a long time a LG or Samsung electronic product was seen as cheap and nasty. Now their TVs, mobile phones, fridges and cameras are perfectly competitive with other brands and one you'd not be embarrassed to have.

HJ's i30 Road test & Focus sized Diesel Autos. - daveyK_UK
5 YEAR UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY.

there is nothing else to add frOm a value point of view.

The only other consideration for a small business is - can you get the same reliability from another Jap/Pacific Rim manufacturer but have a car better designed for your needs/type of driving.

When we purchased our first and second Daihatsu Sirion it was a straight choice between the Sirion and the Getz.

Previously, I personally always purchased Hyundai due to their cheap upfront costs.
And the 5 year warranty since 2002 has made them even more tempting.

However, I got the Sirions at a good price, and they have proven to be just as reliable but more tailored to our needs and requirements.
Nearly all the Hyundai dealers I use look around are now charging near list price for all vehicles.
The lack of Hyundai deals has sent me to Daihatsu.

One more thing I would like to add.
£15k for a i30 diesel auto is to expensive.
more like £11k to get the sales figures Hyundai are craving.
Their brand is still not 'over' yet.