What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mk 3 Golf Ignition Problems - s lyle
Ladies and Gents,
I have a 1995 Mk 3 Golf which has ignition problems. I was driving along the motorway about 70mph, when the engine died suddenly (coughed twice), I blipped the throttle and it kept going fortunately until I got home. I tried to start the car the following morning (Wednesday) and although the engine turned there was no ignition. I replaced the coil amplifier ( had similar fault on another Mk3 ) but it didn't fix it. When the breakdown company turned up, they disconnected the HT lead from the distributor and held it against the block, whilst I turned the key, there was no spark. The car was then taken to the garage. I had a call from the garage this morning and they said that they reckon it is the "Hall Effect sensor " in the distributor . They have assured me that there are no crankshaft position sensors on the LT side of the coil ( which was what I suspected ). Excuse my ignorance and this long post, but can anyone tell me what a "Hall Effect sensor does in the distributor and how it can cause no spark at the output of the coil.
Thank-you.
S.L.
Mk 3 Golf Ignition Problems - yorkiebar
Basically it picks up a signal and sends the information to the coil/amplifier for a spark to be fired. If you lok at the distributor, near where the cap sits on it there is a 3 pin electrical connection; that is the bit involved.

But, first things first, check ALL the fuses in the fusebox. Take each 1 out, ensure it has not blown and then replace it, preferably by turning it round so it fits backwards to how it was. Do them 1 at a time so you know exactly where they come from etc.

Report back by all means and advise if you have a basic voltmeter and ohms tester. Can give a list of checks to determine if it is signalling or not, but do check those fuses first!
Yorkiebar,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have a multimeter, so please fire away with your "list of checks".
Thanks,
SL
Ladies / Gents,
I have one further question further to "Yorkiebar's" answer above. Where does the Hall Effect sensor in the distributor get it's signal from to tell the coil to provide an output ???
Thanks,
SL
Mk 3 Golf Ignition Problems - yorkiebar
Ok

To answer the last question first. The rotattio of the distributor generates the signal transmitted to the coil/amplifier.

Next, have you checked/changed the fuses. The following is a waste of time if you haven't !

Ignition Off
Disconnect plug at sensor
Connect voltmeter to 2 outside terminals
Ignition on check for voltage.

ignition off
re connect sensor
probe into back of connections middle and 1 outside one (not sure what colour wire off hand)
connect led test lamp between these connections
crank engine very briefly
check for flashing led light

hth

Yorkiebar,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I am about to try your checks and I will let you know the results.
Thanks,
SL
Yorkiebar,
Thanks for your information,
they pinpointed the distributor Hall Effect Sensor as being at fault.
Thanks again.
SL
Mk 3 Golf Ignition Problems - elekie&a/c doctor
With the ignition on and the 3 pin plug to the distributor/hall effect disconnected ,if you earth the centre pin briefly to engine block you should hear the the coil spark.hth