What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Laguna Horror Stories - dsuk
The Laguna 2's quality problems have been well documented on various forums. My question is did the 'face lift' of 2005 do anything to improve the quality and reliability of the car. I am looking at a very reasonably priced 2006 1.9dci and have in mind this particular engines history of Turbo/intercooler failing and engine distruction. Have these problems been sorted? Or do I steer well clear!!!!!
Laguna Horror Stories - spikeyhead {p}
sorted? Or do I steer well clear!!!!!

Your biggest problem is likely to be steering clear of buses
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Laguna Horror Stories - bell boy
dsuk i have no idea if the latest laguna is any good but i know many a hard man that has cried once he bought the prior model,good looking,drive great,keyless entry great,tyre moniter ,er? great i think
but why do you want to buy a car that will give you sleepless nights?a newer plate might be good to show the neighbours but plays havoc on the national health when you need their tablets to sleep soundly in your bed

im not a doctor but know someone that is;-)
Laguna Horror Stories - jase1
There is evidence to suggest that they have improved, but I still wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole!

The 1.8l petrol version does seem to be significantly more reliable though, and will be cheaper so if you're not doing too many miles, that'd be the one I'd go for.
Laguna Horror Stories - Aprilia
There are so many other good cars in this market segment - why on Earth choose a Laguna?
2006 plate model covered 30,000 miles for about £5,300, thats why I am considering it!
Laguna Horror Stories - ablandy
great, you can use the money saved to pay for taxis!

Ok, i'll be honest and say i have no experience of the laguna, but am merely jumping on a renault bashing thread, coz i thought it would be funny. They do look nice though.
Laguna Horror Stories - yorkiebar
have you asked yourself why its being sold at such a price for those miles?

There may be a clue in there ?
part of the reason its cheap as its the 95bhp version of the dci engine which I gather is not that popular. But the car does have a full service history.
Laguna Horror Stories - alex823
We had a mark 1 Laguna on a V plate which was faultless over the period we owned it (sold it last year). However I do remember reading somewhere that it was the mark II with the reliability problems. Things seem to be improving with later models however if you believe the reliability charts.
youve sold me dsuk ,buy it and make a trader very happy.
Laguna Horror Stories - yorkiebar
With respect dsuk, you appear to have made your mind up regardless of the views of others ?
with respect, if I had made up my mind I would not have bothered to post in the 1st place. I am not in the business of wasting my or other peoples time by posting just for the sake of it. All I was asking was for peoples genuine opinion if the quality of the Laguna has improved since the facelift of 2005. I am well aware of the threads on other forums regarding the problems encountered but they seem to be limited to pre facelift models. This might just be because they are older, I don't know. I was just hoping that one or two backroomers might have 1st hand information. The thread was certainly not meant to be a statement that I am buying this car regardless!!
Laguna Horror Stories - Avant
Dsuk, I see you posted a thread about a year ago about choosing between an Octavia and a Mazda 6 - you got a rather better quality of reply than you have so far this time!

I wonder what happened then - did you buy either of them? I personally would rate either of them ahead of the Laguna, even though I had 100,000 trouble-free miles from a Mark 1 Laguna V6. I think the Mark 2s have had more problems: I'm not knocking Renaults as I had seven good ones in a row, but since about 2000 there seems to have been a greater chance of getting a bad one than with some other makes.

Maybe look on Autotrader for a Skoda or something Japanese for a similar price?
Laguna Horror Stories - Clk Sec
A friend of mine had the 2005 model as a company car, but he didn't keep it long. It was off the road so often that his boss had it replaced by another make.

Did you eventually buy a Mazda6 last year? It's a good car - I've owned one for nearly five years.

Clk Sec
Laguna Horror Stories - madf
Before you buy any Renault diesel
read this:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=24...6

and if you then buy, you need help .. medical help.. imo:-)
madf
Laguna Horror Stories - Altea Ego
I had a 2003 1.9dci

IN 43,000 miles it needed a new clutch master cylinder, and 6th Gear was a bit noisy. Thats all that happpened (till it met the bus of course*)

Yes later Mk2's are generally improved. Its comfortable, handles well, looks good , and sips diesel.

I would not however buy this car. Its cheap for a reason and you have hit the nail on the head. Its 95bhp. Its not enough for this car, its too heavy and big to be hauled around by 95hp. It needs 120 (later ones 130) hp 1.9 dci.

*MInd when it did meet the bus, all the safety systems *really* came in to play.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Laguna Horror Stories - Xileno {P}
I don't think this is a 95bhp engine, I am sure it's either 120 or 130. Check this out as I'm sure the 95bhp engine was dropped by mid 2005 and if I'm right don't tell the salesman - use it as a stick to beat the price down.

It is well documented on many forums that it was the early Laguna 2's that were the problem. It was unfortunate that Renault replaced the largely competent MK1 with the troublesome MK2. Electrical problems ten-a-penny, disintegrating 1.9dCi engines, poor automatic transmissions all reported. There is a very poor showing for Lagunas from 2001 to 2003 on carsurvey.org.

But lessons were learned quickly and if you look at the surveys including ADAC, later models from mid 2003 onwards were massively improved. June 2003 was the time when the 1.9dCi engine received the modifications it needed - improved oil feed pipes to the turbo, new EGR, changed ECU settings and stronger intercooler.

The 2005 facelift model continued with quality improvements, especially to the interior.

The link to the 2.2dCi engine has no relevance to the 1.9 engine.

I would consider one of these cars provided it has FSH from Renault. Ask the dealer (or phone up Renault UK) and get a print out of all warranty work relating to the car. That will give you a good indication of on-going reliability.

Beat the salesman down hard - there's a new Laguna due in the Autumn.

Later Lagunas not anything like as bad as the early ones but mud sticks etc.
Just checked on Renaults website and they are still selling the 95bhp version! Bet they don't continue it in the next Laguna which is due as you say in the Autumn. Thanks for the rest of the advice.
Laguna Horror Stories - LinuxGeek
Not disrespecting Renault or Renault car owners but I really don't understand why people buy second hand Renault cars? I made this mistake back in 2003 by buying a megane and I learnt my lesson!
I think we always expect our car to take us A to B without a hitch so a car that breaks down as often as some Renaults its just unacceptable.
I must admit they're very comfy, more often than not good looking and well equipped cars but for me reliability is the most important factor when choosing a car and Renault is far from it.
Let's hope they'll learn something from Nissan now!
Renault's dark patch was 2000 - 2003 when quality control seemed to be poor on some models. Ghosn's crack down on quality control is bearing fruit, borne out by the impressive reliability so far for the Modus and Clio 3. This is supported by a contact 'on the inside'. Warranty claims are declining, although he did concede from a less than satisfactory position. Ghosn was in Clermont-Ferrand the other day talking about Renault and how it's eaten it's black bread. Lessons have hopefully be learned.

The big test for the company will be the New Laguna - they've got to get this one right from day one.

Imagine a car with the design flair of a Renault and the reliability of a Nissan. Could be unbeatable if they can crack that one. Maybe they have... time will tell....
>but I really don't understand why people buy second hand Renault cars? I made this >mistake back in 2003 by buying a megane and I learnt my lesson!

I got my wife a 6 month old, 6k mile Clio in 2000.

In 6 years and 50k miles it needed a new oil pressure switch (leaked) and new seat belt stalk switch, and a new battery. It failed to start just the once (battery) and never let her down on the road.

On the other hand my VW has stranded me twice, and has a string of faults as long as you arm. Its just two years old.

Guess what new car the wife got?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Guess what new car the wife got?

>>>>>>>>> a vectra :-o
No - If that what you got her no wonder she never came back from the beer mission.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Laguna Horror Stories - flunky
Not disrespecting Renault or Renault car owners but I really don't understand why people buy
second hand Renault cars? I made this mistake back in 2003 by buying a megane
and I learnt my lesson!

I bought a 1997 1.6 Megane in 2004 (£1k), kept it for three years, and in the time suffered a power steering fluid leak fixed cheaply with a back-street repair (Renault part would have been several hundred), a small head gasket oil leak which corroded exhaust (which needed replacement), new head gasket was fitted for about £100. It also needed a lambda filter to pass MOT emissions test, plus general consumables, i.e. oil, oil filter, break pads, etc.

At no time did it fail to start, or break down, and could be relied on to get us to and from our destination.

Eventually written off after to a tyre blow-out at high speed caused by poor tracking which had caused wear to tyres.
Laguna Horror Stories - DP
I would consider one of these cars provided it has FSH from Renault. Ask the
dealer (or phone up Renault UK) and get a print out of all warranty work
relating to the car. That will give you a good indication of on-going reliability.

This is good advice. We did this with our Scenic (admittedly after buying it)

In 37,000 miles and 30 months:

The panoramic sunroof stopped opening

Tyre pressure monitors played up (these were removed and the warnings disabled by the dealer, so cannot reoccur)

One doorhandle sensor replaced for the keyless entry system.

And this is with the "troublesome" 1.9 dCi engine. As Xileno says, it was much improved >2003. Xileno told me this originally, but a friend of my mechanic who is a Renault dealer tech also reckons they hardly ever see a post 03 dCi with engine problems. In fact, his view is that the 04 on Renaults are in a different league in all respects to the earlier models.

Cheers
DP

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
Laguna Horror Stories - mrnikko
The 2005 Laguna is a massive improvement on the old model. Make sure it has FSH and not the puny 95 BHP engine.
Despite the anti Renault thread that runs on this forum the later Laguna is no better or worse than its competitors, i.e VW Passat, Mondeo, Vectra, Avensis, BMW 3 Series.
As started I have connections with the fleet industry and I look at whole life costs only.
Laguna Horror Stories - madf
Car Mechanics produced a buyers guide to Lagunas about 1-2 years ago.
To summarise it said:
the diesel engines are carp.
The gearboxes are carp: nuts falling off, diffs whine and blow up the box, and there are 9 different ones.
the window regulators fail £250 each
The twin sunroof fails: new electrics £700 ish.
The electronics are carp.
Brakes and suspension are OK.

Based on that anyone who buys a pre 2005 Laguna has my sympathies... No wonde rthe Gremans laugh at them.
madf
errr

they dont have twin sunroofs. no wonder they dont work.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Laguna Horror Stories - Lud
How can this have happened to Renault when they made some excellent cars in the seventies and eighties?
easy LUD they went to the rover school of engineering thursday nights followed by a quick half and a fag down the shady nook andv back home in time for a night cap
As the company drifted into (largely) private ownership, I suspect the pursuit of profit became the dominant priority. Some components I have come across have been very poor quality - for example master cylinders on Lagunas and Espaces. Recently I have witnessed an improvement in component quality. I really believe the tide is turning but it will be a while before the various satisfaction surveys show the improvements.
Laguna Horror Stories - Lud
I'm afraid so bb. And they were too mean to pay the salaries demanded by those Japanese chaps Porsche and everyone else brought in to show them how to do production engineering.
Laguna Horror Stories - stunorthants26
What ive read about this issue comes mainly from the reports on the new Laguna thats on the way - even the Renault guys say that the previous model was woeful for quality and they introduced too much technology without thorough testing - the new one looks rather fantastic I have to say if the main drive behind this new car is to get the quality right, the previous model must have been pretty poor.

As has been said elsewhere, its up to you but few would genuinely recommend a car that even the maker wont endorse.

There are better choices out there and a few pennies saved on purchase price could well mean many spent chasing faults, not to mention the stress.

If you do go for it and it does break down, you will most certainly hear 'told you so' more often than you would like but it would be justified.
It's not even as if they are all that cheap.

You want cheap at this price, get a Citroen C5. Not perfect, but not woeful either.

I'd have said Primera as well, but Nissan caught the Renault disease around the same time.
^cheap at this price, lol, I meant cheap in this sector...
Laguna Horror Stories - Round The Bend
I ran a 1996 Laguna 2.0 from new, clocking up 80,000 miles in the course of the next 2 and a half years. Never missed a beat, nothing fell off, good to drive.

Sorry, no Laguna horror story here ......................... but could go on about the new Passat which broke down twice in the first 30,00 miles.