What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Dynamic Dave
Coastguards have slammed an audacious bid by Top Gear stars Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May to DRIVE across the Channel.

The daredevil trio all attempted to make the crossing across the world?s busiest shipping lane in three specially-adapted cars for the hit BBC TV show.

And, remarkably, one of the vehicles actually reached the French coast.

tinyurl.com/ynwmtf (Shortened link to an article on www.kentnews.co.uk)

tinyurl.com/3x7m4m (Shortened link to The Daily Mail) (better pictures)

TG Team 'sink' to new low - Lud
Pity IMO they chose to fool around in joke devices. There are a number of amphibious vehicles, some military, old and new, and a test of three of those might have had some interest (although I would consider the Channel a bit rough for say an Amphicar).

There is I believe a modern amphibian with some road performance. But they are expensive things, hard to keep waterproof, not much good in a proper seaway and slow, usually, in water. A toy or curiosity. How many people in the world really need one?
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Pugugly {P}
Quite a few Lud judging by the amount of rain we're getting !
Hadn't thought of that! Even an old, non-swimming amphibious Jeep would charge happily through the sort of road that stops cars (and police vans) by shooting water into their intakes....
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Altea Ego
> some military, old and new

anyone who has any interest in cars, and is in London, should do a Ducktour.

Driving into the thames in a DUKWS is a real hoot not to be missed.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
And a full-size DUKW in good order might actually make it across the channel in normal weather. Use a bit of fuel though.
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Screwloose
And a full-size DUKW in good order might actually make it across the channel

Or maybe a Stalwart...
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Chris White
I like the coastguards comment in the Daily Mail article - '.....It's totally irresponsible. I won't be watching Top Gear again........'

Chris
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Stuartli
>>a full-size DUKW in good order>>

We had these vehicles for many years stationed close to the beach area as rescue vehicles - they proved very efficient.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
TG Team 'sink' to new low - cheddar
>>anyone who has any interest in cars, and is in London, should do a Ducktour.>>

They have been doing Ducktours in Boston Mass for years, it is a reletively new thing in London.
And in London. I did it 4 years ago, It was then called a Frog tour.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TG Team 'sink' to new low - BobbyG
TG "Polar Special" is on this wednesday at 8pm on BBC2.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
TG Team 'sink' to new low - BobbyG
Just went up to my son's room and he is watching the Top Gear challenges DVD and it features the three of them in a challenge with these exact same vehicles trying to cross some reservoir in England.!

Must have been an episode I missed as I don't remember it.
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Dynamic Dave
Must have been an episode I missed as I don't remember it.

Yep. Although in that episode, Jezzer's 'Boyota' was blue, and this time it was white. Hampster's campervan was also a different colour.

Previous vid clips can be found via tinyurl.com/2zbakt

This particular one can be found by clicking on the "Mucking About" tab, and then on the "Amphibious cars" link.
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Screwloose
DD

Wasn't it a "Toybota?" And didn't it turn over and sink in the lake?

"Wasn't it a "Toybota?" And didn't it turn over and sink in the lake?"

Yes it was the "dampervan" and the "toybota" Both sank. Both were rescued and made an appearance on the top gear stand at the London Motorshow.

They appear to have used similar vehicles again this year, but with greater thought about design and construction. (probably because sinking in the channel is not quite the same as sinking 5 yards off shore in a reservoir!)

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TG Team 'sink' to new low - boxsterboy
DD
Wasn't it a "Toybota?" And didn't it turn over and sink in the lake?

Don't know what happened to the blue Toybota, but JCs white pick-up for the French trip is clearly a Nissan. Sorry, can't think of any boat-puns.
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Tomo
"And a full-size DUKW in good order might actually make it across the channel in normal weather. Use a bit of fuel though."

The amphibious version of the military Volkswagen would be more economical. It was tested at 50mph on land and up to 15 mph max in water by British occupation forces. (There is no chance now of my personally attempting the Channel in either!)
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Tomo
Oh, just remembered; a person in the car business years ago somehow waterproofed the engine and added a prop to an ordinary Beetle, and cruised in the Tay somewhere about Perth to show how well the passenger compartment was sealed. Unfortunately a copycat attempt spoiled the message by sinking.
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Jonwm {P}
The Top Gear polar special is also going to be shown on BBC HD for yuo guys that have it, can't wait to see a bit of High Def TG!!
TG Team 'sink' to new low - Ian (Cape Town)
The amphibious version of the military Volkswagen would be more economical.

The schwimwagen. had no doors - just a tub, and power fed through a prop at the back, which folded down onto a propshaft (?) extension.
There's one round here, in the old leopardspot SS camoflage.
See it at VW rallies occasionally.
Top Gear Polar Special - Pendlebury
BBC2 Tonight at 8pm

{This will get moved across to the current TG related thread later today - DD}
Top Gear Polar Special - shirike
I can't wait :)
Top Gear Polar Special - David Horn
Already programmed into Sky+
Top Gear Polar Special - stunorthants26
Its about time something decent was on TV again. Thanks for the reminder!
Top Gear Polar Special - Round The Bend
Look forward to it.
Await "Top Gear responsible for global warming, flood, etc " headlines tomorrow!
Top Gear Polar Special - Stuartli
>>Its about time something decent was on TV again>>

You've not been watching James May's 20th Century series then...:-)
That has been excellent.
The Polar Special was great entertainment, despite the obvious backup - hats off to the team.

Top Gear Polar Special - Armitage Shanks {p}
Either I misread the sat nav screen or the shots were not taken at the Pole. I am sure that they got there but the screen I saw, 3 times, and about which there was all the elation was 78*N not 90*N. Perhaps what I saw was their start point. Any way, great camera work, great physical endurance and fairly awful music, particularly in the last 15 minutes - wailing choirs! Not my taste
Top Gear Polar Special - sony
Was brilliant. I must say I couldn't see myself going there anytime soon. Give me the south of France anyday!
I thought it was hilarious entertainment - especially when the bolt froze to JC lips.
Another great advert for Toyota as well.
Top Gear Polar Special - GregSwain
Excellent TG special, I especially liked the toilet-attachment on their Toyota. Looking forward to the next series!
Top Gear Polar Special - Lud
especially when the bolt froze to JC lips.

He called it a bolt too, but he had an excuse being in pain and unable to see it.

It was a nut.
Top Gear Polar Special - J Bonington Jagworth
"all the elation was 78*N"

I wondered that, too. There wasn't even a pole...
Top Gear Polar Special - Kuang
There wasn't even a pole...

Yeah, I distinctly remember Winnie The Pooh leaving one there following one of his 'expotitions', and can only deduce that they went to the wrong place. Fantastic show though, although I'm surprised they didn't show Hammond getting there.
Winner Takes All?
Top Gear Polar Special - Westpig
Bumper Dumper?..........haven't laughed so much in ages

and that mangled shock absorber looked well knackered
Top Gear Polar Special - billy25
I think thet may have travelled to the Magnetic North Pole, which apparenty does tend to wander around the Arctic region on a yearly basis. That may explain the 78 degree latitude on the sat-nav.

Billy
Top Gear Polar Special - rtj70
According to that "accurate" website Wikipedia, magnetic north was 82.7° N 114.4° W in 2005. But ...

(2001) 81.3° N 110.8° W
(2004 est) 82.3° N 113.4° W
(2005 est) 82.7° N 114.4° W

So would it be 78 degree lat in 2007?

I think they cheated and did not go there when the ice got thin. I'd phone the Beeb but do not trust the phone lines ;-) One reason for thinking "cheat" is they are sat on the ice with no protection to the face - it will have been many degrees below freezing. Maybe it was all at Resolute.

My employer sponsored the Polar Challenge a couple years ago (Fujitsu) and we sent an engineer (ex forces) to support IT. TV series showed how difficult it really was.

Entertaining but still do not think it was real. Especially as the risks were real and H&S would have said no.
Having said I don't believe it.... could they have gone to the Geomagnetic North Pole and not the magnetic one? In 2005 this was at 79.74° N 71.78° W and now drifting towards Siberia.

Still think too dangerous to really do.
Top Gear Polar Special - billy25
heres the link i forgot to put on my other post Doh!!

deeptow.whoi.edu/northpole.html
Interesting to know how they got on doing the return journey.
They were only round the corner from Resolute. Probably walked to a hotel every night ;-)

In a straight line Resolute to their target GPS coordinates is about 316 miles. The north pole was another 700+miles away. So they might have been the first to drive to magnetic north which is always changing so nobody can do the same as it will have moved.
According to this site:

www.allthingsarctic.com/northpole/index.aspx

Then magentic north currently 78°18' North and 104° West so the show with N 78° 35' 7" W104° 11' 9" ever so slighltly out but it will have moved again. So I stand corrected. But still do not think they did it.
Top Gear Polar Special - Armitage Shanks {p}
rtj70 - thanks for your input! I used to use maps and inertial nav systems for a living and I am confident that the true, static Gegraphical North Pole is at 90*N and stays there! The comments you and others have made about the Megnetic Pole are entirely correct - it moves all the time and is not necessarily that near to the geographic North Pole at any time. Perhaps it was that Pole that they went to and all the fuss was about. Anyway, good entertainment and, if they got to wherever they got to on 'fumes' how did they get back?

Top Gear Polar Special - nick
Who cares? It was good entertainment.
Top Gear Polar Special - Round The Bend
"Interesting to know how they got on doing the return journey."

Suspect they were picked up by plane and left the Icelandic support to drive back.

Enjoyed the show. Must remember that it was only a show. Impressed by Hamster's running alongside the dogs. There was something in the tabloids this week about him running 16 miles home after getting stuck in the floods .....
Top Gear Polar Special - Cliff Pope
It's all happening at the north pole. One week there's enough water to swim 100 yards in, the next the ice is thick enough to support a team of 4X4s.
Top Gear Polar Special - ForumNeedsModerating
Ok I suppose, for a pretend adventure. In all those shots, especially the 'thin ice' sequence, we have to remember that the Icelanders will have tested it & tried it before our intrepid explorers did. But who oh why, oh why does Clarkson have to make such a fetish around 'not being able to do stuff' ? I think it's a sort of 'class' thing - he likes to generate an image of the helpless but effortlessly superior aristocrat: ' I have a little man to do that - I don't have to' vibe. Luckily, his little men or Icelanders in this case, managed to dig him out of trouble after the numerous little-boy-stamping-his-trucculent-foot episodes - I thought May's cold eyed displeasure at his antics were genuine in this case.

Top Gear Polar Special - Altea Ego
The RSPCA will be onto this as well, complaining about the woman beating the huskies. They probably dont realise that when a team of them kicks off for a rumble, if you dont have a stick or whip you could end up as dog food.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Top Gear Polar Special - Lud
One couldn't help feeling that the 'Icelandic mechanics' and Richard Hammond's dog woman were the real unsung heroes of the thing. Funny in places though.

Wonder what the programme cost?
Top Gear Polar Special - Ian G
I did feel genuinely sorry for Jezza when he got pushed into that hole in the ice.

I was suprised they could expose bare skin at the reported minus 30 degrees, but Top Gear have a habit of doing things properly (ie the channel crossing, resurfacing a road, jet powered cars etc). If they shot fake episodes, and it ever got out, their reputation (if they have one) would be ruined. So I think this was genuine.

As for the huskies, they must have pretty thick fur, so I doubt the whip hurt them too much. I'm sure the Canadian lady knows far more about the wellbeing of her dogs than an average RSPCA officer though.

I can't wait for the new series this Autumn

Ian
Top Gear Polar Special - Dynamic Dave
For anyone who missed it, it's being repeated on BBC2, at 8pm on Sunday.
Top Gear Polar Special - Another John H
As said above, great entertainment, but G.O.K. what order it was shot in.

If you watch the repeat, keep an eye out for the little red glass hammer in the centre of the roof of their truck... now you see it, now you don't... etc. etc.
Top Gear Polar Special - drbe
I watched the Polar Special last night.

I was laughing out loud!

The dog team woman must be someone special.
Top Gear Polar Special - daveyjp
Saw it last week, but missed some due to interruptions and watched the repeat. Both me and my wife enjoyed it - who cares if it's a set up, badly edited etc etc, it's en enterntainment show not a factual documentary. As for the Mail I have just been in a household who buys this rag every day - the editor should be up for inciting racial hatred.
Top Gear Polar Special - drbe
Does anyone know the story of the crashed aircraft that they came across?
Top Gear Polar Special - Westpig
Do a Google on Arctic Air Crash......found a good contender straight away......if i knew how to post a link i would have done...:-)
If you go to the top of the Discussion page, have a look at the TINYUrl information.

One you have installed TINYUrl, all that is required is to convert a URL to a TINYUrl and copy and paste it into your posting.

Takes about five seconds.
Top Gear Polar Special - Pugugly {P}
aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=1949100...1

sadly - I think I've found it....The DC3/C47 that is.
Top Gear Polar Special - Pugugly {P}
www.oldwings.nl/content/c47_yic/c47.htm

Another link.

And a quote from that page.

The wreck of 43-16062 was briefly shown in an episode of the BBC programme "Top Gear", aired on 25 July 2007. Information from several other sources revealed that the shown C-47 footage was filmed on 02 May 2007.

Not surprisingly, the footage showed that the condition of the wreck had not changed much since 2006. In 2006 it only had a few bullet holes in the USAF star insignia on the left side, but this footage also showed several in the insignia on the right side, which must have been added during the past year. Slow vandalism continues, unfortunately.

Thanks
The MoS takes the wrong route - Stuartli
The Mail on Sunday, currently engaged in exposing misleading BBC and ITV television programmes, quiz shows or items such as the Queen "storming out of a photo shoot", seems to have got the wrong end of the stick today:

tinyurl.com/2ql73b

Obviously not keen Top Gear viewers then?

{Moved to the current TG thread - Obviously - DD}
The MoS takes the wrong route - Pugugly {P}
Top Investigative Reporting !

Washington Post guys can sleep safely tonight.
The MoS takes the wrong route - Altea Ego
Talk about make a laughing stock of yourself. What was the editor thinkng by allowing this piece of "journalism" to hit the presses.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The MoS takes the wrong route - pendulum
Shock as Reporter tells World what World already knew.
Those who've made comments at the foot of the link have indicated what they think of the MoS's discovery...:-)
The MoS takes the wrong route - Lud
They have to put something in this comic. The BBC shooting itself repeatedly in the foot with these ridiculous phone-in quizes (who in their right mind would take part in one?) and other DailyMail-style tabloid carp has been a Godsend to the Mail and other reactionary organs.

The fact that a MoS article is ancient, uninteresting and jumped-up cannot surprise anyone, surely? Indeed I am surprised that any member of this forum has taken the trouble to read the thing.
The MoS takes the wrong route - Westpig
I understand the MoS used to be a good paper........what happened?

When will the print on the header turn to red?
It still is, but occasionally tries to counteract the BBC and some other media's Leftish views just a bit too hard.
The MoS takes the wrong route - Lud
'I understand the MoS used to be a good paper...'

'It still is but...'

(Blasphemy removed)

Well, takes all sorts they say. Pity though.
The MoS takes the wrong route - mfarrow
Having worked in industry for a year, you soon realise that any "news" about your sector isn't really news at all. In fact it's often months or even years old (especially if it's regional).

The same goes with this story - just because we all know and have been discussing these stunts for quite some time doesn't mean the rest of the public have.

--------------
Mike Farrow
I really enjoyed - stunning photography - stunning, I want HD now !

How did they get back ?
Was it filmed in HD? By that I mean, did they use HD cameras to film it?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
HD Cameras ? Probably, was - I have a friend who is a BBC Techy, he says that most stuff is filmed in HD when it involves a production like that.
The MoS takes the wrong route - retgwte
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6927395.stm

now a Russian sub is there
The MoS takes the wrong route - pd
It was definately in HD on BBC HD.

Also, and I am rather ashamed to admit I noticed such a thing, were the registration numbers on the cars real or just made up? I've never seen or heard of a "TY07" prefix being an actual number.
The MoS takes the wrong route - Whu10
T's are special issue plates I believe.
The MoS takes the wrong route - GregSwain
Also and I am rather ashamed to admit I noticed such a thing were the
registration numbers on the cars real or just made up?

Just done a search on www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk for TY07 HLX (the vehicle Clarkson was driving), and there's no record of such a vehicle.
The MoS takes the wrong route - billy25
Isn't TY07 HLX a form of abbreviation for Toyota Hilux '07 ? - free advertising maybe?
The MoS takes the wrong route - BobbyG
And easily transferred between vehicles to make it look like they arrived in the same one they left in?

[Must remove my cynical head]
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
The MoS takes the wrong route - rtj70
What you mean if they did break some suspension/damper type components they did not fix it out near the magentic (but not geometric) north pole. You cynic. You suggesting all that attempting to drive fast and breaking and putting them in danger was not real and only for the sake of the TV audience.

I'm disappointed in you ;-)

They didn't leave in anything like the Hilux.... they were either round the corner and walked and it was all a fake or they got a helicopter.

Check out some of what is said on www.polar-challenge.com/ to see what is involved to endure these temperatures. They were not in the Hilux all the time and "had to make ramps, chainsaw ice etc."... not convinced.

Entertaining all the same ;-) Like the convertible Espace.

How did they get back ?
Another opinion of it ....

tinyurl.com/324d88

--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
The MoS takes the wrong route - pd
It was completely unrealistic. Everyone knows that no polar explorer would have been drinking Chablis in those conditions, a good Sancerre would have been far more appropriate.
Isn't it strange how in the current TV climate, there is allegedly so much "misleading issues" going on eg. premium phone lines, the documentary about the queen and this week, the sad program about the man dying from Alzheimers. Everyone is up in arms about these, quite rightly.

But when it comes to Top Gear going to the North Pole and so many "irregularities" and misleadings, everyone says well, of course, we know they didn't do it like that! Its an entertainment show, not a factual one!

That is the beauty of TG IMHO, watch it for what it is, entertainment. It is loosely based around cars, similar I suppose to some threads on here!!! :)
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Why do people think that entertainment is factual? MOstly its fiction. Geez I can see the Daily Mail Headlines now

"BIGGLES IS FAKE"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
No more TopGear! - Tomo
I have to admit to watching ?Top Gear? on BBC3 some minutes ago (I know, I?m not supposed to be able to watch the digital channels here in Dundee but then I?m not supposed to be able to go motoring ? i.e. creeping at more than 70 ? either!).

They referred to a ?supercar? called the Ascari, and implied that the name referred to an Ascari who finished up in the harbour at Monaco. This in fact was Alberto, in the glorious D50 Lancia. A few days later he, voluntarily and inadvisably, volunteered to take out a Ferrari sports car at Monza and came to grief.

The first notable Ascari was Antonio, who departed while in the lead of the French GP at Monthlery in 1925.

All this is not pedantic. A programme which claims to be about motoring should be able to get elementary motoring things right. Especially with the resources of the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation which we all pay for.

What bothers me, and I would like to be wrong, is that a lot of the alleged motorists, or anti-motorists, who ?contribute? to this site will not give a hoot.

Anyway, I advocate denying viewing figures to those who think conducting a pantomime is the way to get them.

Moved in here for the reasons that HJ gives at the top of the thread - PU
No more TopGear. Who Says So? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I suppose that it would be nice if they could get everything right all the time but I think the item you take exception to is a fairly arcane bit of motoring history. Last week an aircraft caught fire on the ground in a Far East airport and the Beeb told us that it was probably caused by a leak of oil or PETROL! Right! What do you mean - No more Top Gear - I hadn't heard that it was being stopped?
No more TopGear. Who Says So? - boxsterboy
No, it's not perfect but it's better than the other motoring carp on TV and is at times funny. Beggars can't be choosers.
No more TopGear. Who Says So? - FotheringtonThomas
No it's not perfect

The only people I've heard of who might enjoy Top Gear and similar are Harry and Janet Nodule.
No more TopGear! - Kuang
The company Ascari (I assume the car was the KZ-1, which IS a 'supercar' by anyone's standards) do state that they're named after Alberto, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at tbh - yes, Antonio did come first but Alberto equalled his performance through his tragically short career. From what I can see, Top Gear are spot on in that respect.