What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Zetec SE Camshaft Question - Focus 1.6 Zetec S
Hi,

I have just taken the Rocker cover off of my Focus to take a look at my camshafts to see if one had snapped. It hadn't and both turned when i put a spanner on the crank pulley. However, i noticed that at the gearbox end of the cams, the recesses where a bar can be fitted to stop movement of the cams are not lining up. Does this mean my valve is out? And how could this have happend?
Jon
Ha!! Sorry, on further investigation they actually are aligned (visually anyway). Also, how can i do a compression test without an air compressor?
Zetec SE Camshaft Question - Simon
To do a compression test you need a proper compression tester, which can often be bought for under £20. As for how you can test it without one then I don't know if it is possible but I wouldn't buy a compression tester cos you'll probably only ever use it this once.

Have you checked the cambelt in terms of tension and condition? This problem could be many things but you need to check the obvious ones first. Make sure that the belt hasn't slipped.
Simon -
From what i can see and feel the cambelt seems well tentioned and appears to be in fair condition.
If it slipped then wouldn't the camshaft recesses be out of allignment with eachother?
Jon
Zetec SE Camshaft Question - Simon
Not necessarily, the cambelt could have slipped between the crank and the camshafts making them appear that they are all still in sync. But if it is in good condition and nicely tensioned then it is unlikely to be your problem.