power steering going on my S reg astra. - r3d_dwarf
Went to go shopping today in my mark 4 s reg Astra 1.8 cd model its only done 82k miles with fsh and when i turn the corner the power steering deceided not to work! Heavy or what! Anyway I stopped the car turn off ignition ect then went to restart and now works fine again!!?? I thought the belt had come off but wheres the belt and what could have done this?? Something silly or a major problem?
Thanks for any input
( lady driver by the way )
power steering going on my S reg astra. - Lud
Check the fluid level. Pump will be somewhere near the water pump and alternator, driven by one of their belts or its own (don't know Astras myself). Follow hoses from the fluid reservoir to find it. If you can't even do that, take the car to yr usual garage...
power steering going on my S reg astra. - Number_Cruncher
The power steering on these is electric - the pump isn't where you might expect to find it. These systems don't work until the alternator is supplying a good charge, and so, it is worthwhile to check the belt.

Although I don't want to pre-empt any proper diagnosis, these are a reasonably common failure. See;

www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=vauxhall_as...e

Number_Cruncher
power steering going on my S reg astra. - Armitage Shanks {p}
We want to help! Why are you SHOUTING at us?
power steering going on my S reg astra. - r3d_dwarf
SORRY!!! I SHALL turn off my caps lock if you prefer just thought it would be easier to read in capitals thats all.
anyway, good advice from the previous person, i know that the alternator was replaced last year by the previous owner but he put on a second hand one so maybe thats the reason its playing up.
so might be a good idea to have a diagnostic? maybe.
thanks you guys for the advice.
power steering going on my S reg astra. - Dynamic Dave
As well as what's already been said, re: alternator, don't rule out the battery.

ps, I've amended the Shouting! DD.