Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - ianwoolcock
Hi all,

I have a strange problem with a newly purchased Peugeot 306 1.8 XS 1999 sunroof version not with AC. I have been getting random air escaping and or whistling noises (the whistle can get loud) that sounds like it is coming from the steering column / dash area. My initial though was the heating system but the car is not overheating or loosing coolant and I have not been getting steam / condensation problems.

This one has me stumped. It seems to do it even when the car is quite cold. I was temped to put a radiator sealer in just to try it but don't know if that would have any effect.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Ian
Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - bell boy
check for a loose grubber rommit by your feet
or a leprichorn in the glove box (these are very difficult to get rid of )
Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - Peter D
If you do not recognise the tune I would check the brake servo has not got a split diaphgram and leaking. using the brakes would change the noise. Perhaps a missing bulkhear cable grommet or the seal around the streering column. Regards Peter
Thanks for the info I will check the gromit and seal. Just to note that the noise happens whether braking or not and even when stationary.

Regards

Ian
Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - Lud
If the 306 is anything like the 205 the heater fan is permanently on (leading to early, irritating failure). Bang the heater and ventilation shutters open and shut a few times and see if the whistle disappears.

Hope bb isn't right about the leprechaun. Not just hard to get rid of, but dangerous when annoyed... :o)
Especially if you have a light in the glove box. Regards Peter
I think Peter D had it with the master cylinder. The sound disappears as the break is applied and re-appers shortly after the break is released. Does anyone know the rough cost of replacing this. Can it be done with the engine in place?

Also can anyone recommend an oil for this engine as the one I tried seemed to make the engine run less smooth 10-40 standard oil.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Regards

PS checked the glove box and this model did not include the optional extra leprichorn :)

Ian
Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - Lud
Check the vacuum lead from the engine. It may not be the servo that's leaking.

Open the bonnet and have a close listen to the servo vacuum reservoir when the engine is running.
Thanks Lud,

The noise is much louder in the car but is still audible from the engine side with the ear near the master cylinder.

I will look for the vacuum lead and check the condition.

Anyone any ideas on the oil?

Many thanks

Ian
Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - bell boy
15w/40 semi synthetic is what i would use,cheapest place should be your vauxhall dealer
regards the noise can you put a lump of silicon on it with a caulking gun and leave to harden overnight?
alternative is is you can get to the grommit is to buy a new one slit it with a stanley knife and slide it into position after removing old one
i wouldnt pay anyone to do this for me

glad the leprichorn has moved on:-)
Thant may be true if it was a grommet but it appears it is not, it's a failed servo diagpham and needs urgent attention before it tears and you brakes partitially fail. The engine running rough, well at least at lower revs could well be the air being sucked in through the servo into the inlet manifold. Get it looked at a fixed soon. Regards Peter
Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - Saltrampen
My Friend's 02 plate 206 had a servo replaced by Peugeot for less than £100 (1 hours labour + part ). Some cars have the servo on the nearside meaning that there is a link bar from the pedal to the servo which may make it slightly easier to connect the pedal mechanism to the servo.
If you have a pressurised type brake bleed kit and a Haynes manual, this type of job is not too difficult for a DIY mechanic.
Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - Number_Cruncher
It may be the servo, but probably isn't the diaphragm.

With the brakes off, the servo's internal valves allow vacuum to both sides of the diaphragm, so, there's no pressure drop across the diaphragm in this state, and the servo provides no force.

When you press the brake, first, the valve shuts, and the two sides of the diaphragm are isolated from each other. Then, as you push harder, air is admitted to one side of the servo through a foam filter which surrounds the pedal push-rod. Now, there is some pressure across the diaphragm, with the atmospheric pressure effectively "helping" you to push the pedal down.

This sounds like there is a problem with the servo valving - the valve which admits atmospheric pressure during a brake application may not be sealing shut properly.

The upshot is the same - you need a new servo. Be careful when fitting it to ensure that there is free travel, and neither the servo, nor the master cylinder are being held on.

Number_Cruncher

Peugeot 306 1.8 XS whistling from dash - Robin the Technician
I asked my wife to get the sprite out of my glovebox as I was thirsty- she tried squeezing the little beggar but nothing came out. He then proceeded to eat the back seat....... Leprachauns and Sprites - don't annoy them!!
--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...