What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 1.8 Mondeo pinking? - justmusic
Hi,

Just started to notice my Mondeo pinking a bit: like when keeping a moderate speed up a slight hill in 4th or 5th, and also when idling with a load on (eg the two heated windows, or full lights). Can only hear it with the window open so it may have been doing it for a while. Only seems to do it when fully warm.

Car has done 75k, was serviced by Ford about 6k ago and new plugs fitted.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,

Gary
2001 1.8 Mondeo pinking? - bell boy
I ran a mondeo many moons ago a 1.8 like yours is and it did the same.
How did i cure it?
Switched to proper petrol from shell/bp.
Ive never been back to supermarket petrol since.
You will find the mpg goes up as well due to you not needing to clog it as much.
2001 1.8 Mondeo pinking? - justmusic
Just to close this thread - car went in today for new rear subframe, so I asked them to check out the noise. Mechanic immediately diagnosed it as a worn alternator belt tensioner/guide. They have replaced it and all is well. Parts quite pricy (over £120 for all the bits and pieces) but they are Ford only parts.

The curious thing is the noise was reported to a Ford dealer last year by the car's previous owners (friends of mine, so they were being honest). Ford couldn't pin it down yet my local mechanic got it right after listening for a minute or so. Ho hum...