What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - barchettaman
I´m back in the UK to pick up the car this time, as Mrs Barchetta´s tour is over.
Any nasty roadworks/ bits to avoid on this route?
I´m in no particular rush. Ferry is ´booked´ for 1515 but I would imagine I can jump on a later one.
The A1(m) is easier for me to access than the M1, so I was thinking going A1-A14, past Stansted, M25 and round that way.
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - jc2
I would suggest M20 rather than M2.Three lanes most of the way-plus a lot of roadworks at M25/A2 junction.
OK, will do.
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - Armitage Shanks {p}
A Google for Highways Agency will get you to a site with details of road works locations and durations + the AA site has live info on delays. I live down near Peterborough and when Northbound there is a sign saying "A1 Roadworks - Peterborough to Blyth" - as this a 200 mile stretch of road theye are obviously either very busy or covering all options. It would bear checking!
Thanks AS, will check that now.
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - Armitage Shanks {p}
I would add that, as a regular user of the A1/A14/M11 route, the A 14 bit can be dire. Very busy and loads of trucks as it is an element of the Midlands to East Anglian ports road link. I wouldn't care to comment on whether it is better or worse than the M25 option; at least the M25 is 3 lane!
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - jc2
The M11 from Cambridge to Stansted can be horrible-trucks driving side by side up the slightest incline.
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - Altea Ego
you could go A1 all the way to M25 to avoid the A14?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hadn´t though of that.
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - Westpig
there's long term roadworks after J24 (Potters Bar) going Eastbound, with 40mph specs.......slows it all down. At the time of day you're going shouldn't be too bad....but.....been caught out a couple of times.

do a check via your mobile phone when you've still got the choice to do the Stansted/M11 bit

worst case scenario is it's all at a standstill

177 on Orange..........2222 on Vodaphone.....don't know the others
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - Cliff Pope
Try Pratnav - Leeds Castle isn't far from Dover.
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - milkyjoe
Try Pratnav - Leeds Castle isn't far from Dover.

you could go via nottingham east midlands airport which is in leicestershire or failing that try robin hood airport which is in yorkshire!!
All done, dead easy drive. Bottled the A14 after seeing the gantry signs warning of delays, stayed on the A1 and made it to Dover in plenty of time.
Bizarrely enough, ended up taking 3 Sheffield Uni students on a charity hitch to Prague back to Frankfurt with me. Mrs Barchetta was, ahem, amused to meet them this morning.
Thanks all for the advice.
Leeds - Dover tomorrow - barney100
Best not to muck around! Just do the M1 M25 etc timing it to avoid the worst of the traffic and keep your fingers crossed.