What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 2.0 TDCI - Ciggi lighter not working. - jj1982juk
Hi,

The cigar lighter on the aforementioned car isn't working. I put in a 15amp mini blade fuse, however although all the rest of the blades are mini blades the gap for the cigar blade is bigger. I tried to put a standard fuse in but it just wouldn't go. It looks as if there is 3 holes for the fuse to go but i have never seen nor heard of a three bladed fuse. can any one help? Perhaps a normal size should fit but i cant seem to make it. When i do put a mini blade fuse in, it works for a day or two then blows, I am only trying to use a mobile phone charger through it, ideally if it works i would need to use a laptop charger through it as well. I tried to put a bigger amp mini fuse (20 amp) and it just blew straight away.
Any ideas or just confirm what sort of fuse i am meant to be using would be great.

Thanks
James

Brought up to date with drop down menu filing

Edited by Pugugly. on 27/02/2008 at 22:16

'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - dieselpower
sounds like a problem with the phone charger to be honest! does it blow the fuse when using the cigarete lighter or simlar
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - jj1982juk
anything that i put through it and it blows, but i am sure that it is due to wrong size fuse..
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - Aprilia
Phone charger will take very little current - certainly not enough to blow a 20A fuse!

I think you have a wiring fault in the car. Presumably a '54 is under warranty? Take it to the dealers and see if they can help.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - Quinny100
When I got my 05 Mondeo the lighter fuse was blown. It was a 5amp mini blade fuse, since replacing it I've had no problems.

Cigar lighter sockets do sometimes short out, it might need the socket replacing.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - kithmo
When I got my 2005 Mondeo there were the remains of the end of a phone charger plug stuck in the bottom of the socket preventing the lighter from working. Check if there's anything metal wedged in the bottom that shorts out the contacts when you push the plug or lighter in.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - Dynamic Dave
Not sure of the layout of a Mondeo dash, but if the ciggy lighter is in a vertical position, it's not been unknown for a coin to fall down the hole.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - Roly93
Cigar lighter sockets do sometimes short out, it might need the
socket replacing.

This could be it, it takes very little for live to touch earth on these as hardly any distance separates the two,
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - jj1982juk
HI, there isn't a problem with the actual socket, what I am trying to find out is if i am using the correct size fuse.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - Screwloose
jj

It should be a 15 amp. I've a feeling that you can fit it in two ways - one ignition fed and one permanently on. Hence the three holes.

Your handbook should give details. If you're blowing fuses; it's usually the socket shorting - often there's no visible reason why; they just do.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - cheddar
On mine it is not ignition fed, I can use an electric type inflator from it without the key being in.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - kithmo
Just had a thought, is it an estate model ?
If so there's another socket somewhere in the rear compartment I believe, maybe that one is shorting.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - tomatoplant
Interested in reading this discussion after having my lighter out for a goodold clean earlier. Has never worked but gets light to attached bulb. Would be grateful if someone could point me in the general direction of the fusebox.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - Red Baron
Screwloose is right.

The ciggie lighter requires a 15A mini fuse (if you don't have seat heating, then pinch that one).

The upper pair of slots feeds power to the ciggie lighter only with ignition on, the lower feeds power permanently. I hope I've got that the right way round.
'54' Mondeo 2.0 TDCI - alanisbest
Many thanks
You have solved a prob that the Ford main dealer said couldnt be solved! They insisted that there should be a double fuse the wasnt available!
Ciggie lighter is now working fine
All the best
Alan