What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
mondeo 1.8td acceleration probs help!! - mondeo lover
Hi all.
i have a mondeo 1.8td estate on a S reg 98. the problem im having is that it isnt very quick, dont laugh!!!! what i mean is that the turbo doesnt seem to be cutting in at its full petential, you can feel it cut in at around 2200-2600 or something like that but it has no effect on the speed. its that slow i dont risc overtaking or pulling out . i have know idea what it could be, i have changed the glow plugs, air filter, fuel filters. i cant see know obvious leaks, there is no spillages on my drive , i cant smell fuel when driving or when its idling. thats the first problem

secondly............... on the same car, my air bag light came on it started to flash at me , i was told to change the things beside the seats, the things the the seat belts plug into , apparantly the hold a charge of somesort and the old ones may have become discharged, so i changed them and the lights still flashing at me! any ideas.
any help on these matters would be so gratfefully received as i am a 1 person working family and cant really afford to go to a garage for them to give me some cock n bull story.
thanks
kevin.
mondeo 1.8td acceleration probs help!! - Screwloose
kevin

Go careful on the garage insults - you never know who might be helping you...

First check; the little rubber hose that connects to the aneroid unit [round tin thing] on the front of the injection pump. Is it split and oily?

Secondly; that airbag light is flashing a code; what is it? 1-1-1? 2-pause 2 etc.?
hi. give me 20 mins and i will let you know. thanks
hi, you are a star mate. the little hose is split in 2 places so i will get that done asap n see if that works. as for the air bag light it flashes every five seconds. cheers
it flashes every five seconds.

How many times?
once every 5 seconds (1 2 3 4 5 flash 1 2 3 4 5 flash)

OK; if it's only flashing a 1, then that's for the driver's airbag circuit. Note; CIRCUIT - not necessarily the bag itself.

The most common reason for this is a break in the spiral cable in the cassette behind the steering wheel. Note again; not the only cause; but the most common.

is this something i could investigate to find out myself or would it be advised to find a reputable garage to do. thanks alot for your help . i will change that pipe asap and i will let you know how it goes then.kevin
Kevin

That would depend on your experience and toolkit.

You have to remove the driver's airbag; the wheel from it's taper; the column shrouds and the cassette. Refitting requires that the new cassette is kept in alignment to prevent the spiral cable [a sort of tape] from running out of travel at full lock.

If all this is new to you; get a quote for testing and replacement from an independent garage. An hour should easily cover it.
hi, thanks alot for your help, i mean it, thanks you have been a great help. i will be back soon after i have done the obove, cheers
kevin
hello, just to let you know that tonight i changed the aneroid pipe to the turbo, WOW what a difference, thanks for the advice. im now going to start enquiring about the air bag light situation. i got told that it could be the clockspring???????? from fords its gona set me back £ 40 + vat, then find someone to fit it for me. will let you know how i get on. thanks screwloose.
kevin
kevin

Glad the pipe fixed it.

"Clockspring" is just another slang word for the spiral cable. It looks like a spiral; so.....
hi,
thanks for that i wasnt aware that they ment the same thing. dont suppose you know how much its gona cost me to get done do you, just so i have a rough idea when i get quotes. thanks mate.
kevin

Prices vary so much, it's difficult to say. An hour's labour is more than enough.

Book time is 0.8 of an hour; a top man could do one in ten minutes.

As always - shop around.
hi, lovely job cheers mate . will let you know how i get on . cheers.