What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo 1.8lx (99) power loss - Pig
My S plate (99) Mondeo 1.8LX (Zetec-e engine) has gone from running perfectly well to suddenly deciding it only wants to rev to 4000rpm. After that, there's major kangaroo-ing and the power drops to tickover before picking up again. This happens when it's on the drive and when going down the road.

Just before the probs, we noticed a whistle when the accelerator was pressed (sounded like a turbo whistle). Dunno if that had any bearing on it. Could it just be plugs/leads/coil or something more serious?

It only had it's MOT three weeks ago, though we know how useful those are! Any ideas out there?
Mondeo 1.8lx (99) power loss - Galaxy
Have you bought any Tesco or Morrisons petrol recently?

Mondeo 1.8lx (99) power loss - Granada Cosworth
Sound like an vacuum problem, can you see any pipe loosely undone ?
Mondeo 1.8lx (99) power loss - Pig
Got in touch with an old mate who said the same thing re. the vacuum, so had a quick look for any leaks on the vacuum system but couldn't see any. He also said it could be the fuel filter or the cat which had collapsed (the car's done 92k) and was blocking the exhaust. The filter looks like it's the original one so changing it wouldn't do any harm, but when I tap the cat with my had it does feel like something's rattling inside.

Anyway, got it booked in to a garage to find out the problem. If it is the cat, and bearing in mind we only want to keep the car a couple of years anyway, what do you think of getting one off the 'net and then me fitting it? £50 including a fitting kit is the cheapest I've found.

Any thoughts?
Mondeo 1.8lx (99) power loss - Screwloose
Pig

Don't like the sound of a rattle in the cat. The only other thing that comes to mind is the speedo working OK? Fords won't rev over 4,000 without a vehicle speed signal.