What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1996 Ford Galaxy Starting Problem... - A.B.Recovery
Hi all, the problem with my friends Galaxy is that it wont start unless towed!!! He's changed the Heater plugs and all the filters but still no good. A local mechanic told him it's a common thing with these, the CRANKSHAFT PULLEY wears so much that when turning the engine over the pulley's wear actually puts the timing out????? When towed started it runs lovely so can this be true? Pls help....thx
1996 Ford Galaxy Starting Problem... - Kingpin
That sounds a bit strange. Presume we are talking about a diesel model as you mentioned heater plugs. If it turns on the starter then that operates onto the flywheel turning the crankshaft and also other things via the cambelt (think it's a cambelt?). Unless the timing is 'out' but then it wouldn't run well at all even after a bump start.
Perhaps it's electrical, if the battery is on it's last legs it gets drained churning over the starter and not enough spark for other things (although this is less important on a diesel without ignition system to power up).
See what others think. Clue is in how well it starts after a tow. Maybe it's in poor health and low compression - what mileage is it on?
1996 Ford Galaxy Starting Problem... - El Dingo
I'd get the battery tested, to eliminate that first. Note that the battery is usually a calcium type, and should be replaced with the same. Other than that, no ideas.
El Dingo.
1996 Ford Galaxy Starting Problem... - A.B.Recovery
I'm wondering whether it's the fuel running back as it starts fine for the rest of the day once it has initially been towed to start!!1 Mileage is unknown as the dash instrument cluster does not work!!! Is fuel run back a common problem on these 1900 TDi engines? Thinking of maybe fitting an in line "lemon" type fuel primer, as found on Peugeot diesels.......thx so far...