What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Just Desert - sir_hiss
Friday night, nose to tail traffic on M4/M5 interchange Bristol. One very aggressive Audi TT driver uses every last inch of outside lane to gain max advantage over the queue, seriously hacking off large truck behind him before diving in front of me at the very last moment. TT driver and truck exchange horns, guestures and various unprintable expeletives until they are out of earshot of each other, much to the amusment of myself and my mate. "Serves him right if he ends up embedded in the back of somebody" I remarked as the TT trundled out of sight down the M4, carving up a few more cars as he slowly got ahead of us in the heavy traffic. Fifteen minutes and just 3 miles of stop-start later, who should we come across but the Audi TT parked in the outside lane, the driver exchanging insurance details with the driver of the car in front. I smiled and waved as I trundled past, yes indeed the gods had smiled, the perfect start to a weekend.

Just Desert - frazerjp
LOLOLOL i hjust had to smile at your post, sounded like you had a good day afterwards sh?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Just Desert - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Excellent. I have noticed that Audi and VW drivers have particular problems in spotting the queues around that interchange, and often seem to find themselves bowling along in the outside lane before barging into the queue.

The common perception that BMWs are the most arrogantly/aggressively driven cars seems well out of date to me.
Just Desert - PhilW
I was expecting some epic tale of crossing the Sahara!
Similar thing amused me in a long queue on A64 a few months ago. As I slowed in inside lane I was joined alongside by some sort of Vauxhall (I think), huge spoiler, debadged, skirts all round about 1inch off the ground, bloke (not lad) with compulsory baseball cap, ICE full volume, twin huge exhausts (you get the picture). While most of us were stationary we switched of our engines but he continually blipped his throttle. Everytime either queue advanced slightly he would jump lanes, cutting people up continually and generally being very annoying. I was in the queue for about an hour and he had "gained" about 6 car lengths on me, but just as we reached the end of the queue there was a sudden silence from the blipped throttle, and a cloud of steam issued quite spectacularly from bonnet and wheel arches as he stuttered to a halt. Naturally I did not smile, and nor did anyone else.
Just desserts?
--
Phil
Just Desert - Happy Blue!
Whilst the behavior of the Audi and Vauxhall drivers above was at best poor, the Audi driver did do the sensible thing first; he made use of the legally available road space. Yes, HGV drivers might not like it, but the Highways Agency would prefer it if we used all the road leading to a 'merge in' point and then merged in turn (zipping they call it in the USA). That way the overal length of the queue is reduced, and each lane gets an equal chance to go through the restriction.
Just Desert - yorkiebar
Except its just plain rude !

And the lane without the hold up in rarely flows as quick as the other (s)

bad manners on the road for a few seconds advantage ! I for one lov e it when HGV (lgv?) pull across lane to stop these prats trying to rule the road !
Just Desert - Chuffer Dandridge
>>Whilst the behavior of the Audi and Vauxhall drivers above was at best poor, the Audi driver did >>do the sensible thing first; he made use of the legally available road space. Yes, HGV drivers >>might not like it, but the Highways Agency would prefer it if we used all the road leading to >>a 'merge in' point and then merged in turn (zipping they call it in the USA). That way the overal >>length of the queue is reduced, and each lane gets an equal chance to go through the >>restriction.

and you can create a baby in one month by making nine woman pregnant!
Just Desert - PhilW
"if we used all the road leading to a 'merge in' point and then merged in turn (zipping they call it in the USA). That way the overal length of the queue is reduced, and each lane gets an equal chance to go through the restriction."

dead right - but it appears that we British are so keen on queuing that we forget this. Thing that was annoying about the Vauxhall driver was that he kept changing lanes and cutting people up to no apparent advantage to himself - and at the end of the queue most people were actually zipping, until he broke down in outside lane, then there was a "double zip"!
--
Phil
Just Desert - aahbarnes
Yes, HGV drivers might not like it, but the Highways Agency
would prefer it if we used all the road leading to
a 'merge in' point and then merged in turn (zipping they
call it in the USA). That way the overal length
of the queue is reduced, and each lane gets an equal
chance to go through the restriction.

I reckon this would cause more of a bottle neck because 2 lanes are fighting for 1 right on the 'merge in' point. A smoother flow of traffic is created if cars get into lane beforehand.
Just Desert - cheddar
I was expecting some epic tale of crossing the Sahara!

I was thinking knickerbocker glory !
Just Desert - FP
Desert (stress on first syllable): arid, sandy place
Dessert (stress on second syllable): sweet course OR what s.o. deserves (as in "just desserts")

Sorry - I used to be an English teacher! (i.e. a teacher of English) :-)
Just Dessert - Pugugly {P}
..........Pudidng basin helmets and sandy places where R1200GSs can go and frolic.
Just Dessert - daveyjp
Re zipping - I've seent his work very well, but only when there's a sign telling you to do it, which aren't used enough. As soon as the sign goes chaos reigns. Dual carriageway near us had the inside lane closed. 800m of warnings. Road was not busy and 200m before the cones a car begins to move out. The car behind who had been tailgating then tries to overtake resulting of course in the overtaking car slamming on as the other car moved across - what is that all about, he had two miles of road before the closure to overtake!
Just Dessert - Mad Maxy
Oh no, not zipping again. Any suggestion that this is a good idea will be met by hordes of posts saying it's unfair. Don't you just love those self-appointed guardians of the empty lane in their HGVs?

I'd rather take it in turns near to the point of obstruction than way back with a mile of empty RH lane ahead. Of course, if everyone planned early enough and were courteous enough, the jam at such points wouldn't happen in the first place.
Just Dessert - Mr Tickle
Oh Dear.

I was less than convinced by ChrisPeugeot's definitions, so I reached for the dictionary.

Desert - Dry barren often sand-covered area of land.

Dessert- Sweet or fruit course of meal (no mention of anything being deserved).

DESERTS - What one deserves.

English teachers aren't what they were when I was at school ;-)
Just Dessert - Dalglish
Just Dessert - Pugugly {P} Sun 17 Dec 06 23:25

>>

mr tickle - he,he,he,hehar,har,har
> DESERTS - What one deserves <

nice one ! looks like some pedants got their "just deserts" here.
Just Dessert - Pugugly {P}
I was the worse for drink ! (and still suffering) Feels as if my head is in a Pudding Basin Helmet today. :-(
Just Desert - Pugugly {P}
Corrected.
Just Desert - Dalglish
.. Corrected.

good on you pugugly. always the best course to admit one's error, especially if you can put it down to drink!

but what will the proud "english teacher" chrispeugeot have to say in his defence?
Just Desert - FP
Oh dear. No, I was stone-cold sober, though recovering from a heavy meal the night before. I hold my hands up and admit it. I was wrong. (More worryingly, I think it's a long-standing error/misunderstanding that I have never grasped. Apparently desert and dessert are from different Latin roots.) I did say I USED to be an English teacher!
Just Desert - Dipstick
Well I was with Chris on this one until I went and checked. I too have been labouring under an incorrect delusion all my life.

This forum is great. I've been here for years and I still don't know which end of a spark plug gets hot but by crikey it sharpens up your...um...word thingies. There must be a word for those.

Just Desert - Baskerville
It's because the OP wrote "desert" rather than "deserts", which is by far the most commonly used form. My guess is the OP was languoring under the same demulsion (yes, they are a free gift as well).
Just Desert - sierraman
Well at least CP didn't run away,or,ahem,desert.
Just Desert - Dynamic Dave
And now back to motoring please.

DD.
Just Desert - FP
Sorry, DD. Not only did I get my grammar wrong, I hijacked the thread.

{Hangs head in shame, exits through nearest door.}