What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Opel Astra automatic transmission - mihait
Hi all !
I'm having problems with my opel astra f automatic gearbox Aisin AW6040LE AF13.
In the morning at the first start of the car the Sport Mode light flashes and the gearbox goes in limp mode.
I can drive the car manually shifting. After 10-15 minutes if I stop and then start again the car, the gearbox will ran fine the rest of the day. I have changed the oil but no luck.
Any suggestions ?
Opel Astra automatic transmission - Ruperts Trooper
Changing the oil would've been my first suggestion, but you've already done that. As it seems to give the problem first thing but not reoccur then it could be a faulty transmission temperature sensor. If that's fitted externally it would be easy to replace but if it's fitted internally it can't be replaced without a rebuild.

The Sport Mode light flashes and limp mode engages when the transmission ECU detects a problem. The diagnostic codes need reading (these are different to engine diagnostic codes) either at an Opel dealer using Tech2 or an independent garage with a good diagnostic machine.
Opel Astra automatic transmission - Aprilia
You needs the codes to be read. Could be a faulty input or output shaft speed sensor, sticking solenoid, temp sensor out of range etc etc. No point in guessing.
Opel Astra automatic transmission - Dynamic Dave
Talking of guessing, the usual problem is the selector switch on the gearbox. I have seen it mentioned on another forum that it's possible to strip it down and clean the internal workings. How true that is, I have no idea. When the selector switch played up on an old Cavalier auto I used to own (same symptoms as you have) the garage told me that it was a non servicable item.
As already pointed out though, best to get the fault code read first. Either pay someone, or if you feel competent enough, read the following instructions and have a go yourself.

www.akirwan.freeserve.co.uk/akhow2/diag_no3.rtf
Thank you for your answers !
I'll go to a garage that has a tech2 interface.
The codes can't be read with the paper clip trick.
Opel Astra automatic transmission - Dynamic Dave
The codes can't be read with the paper clip trick.

Are there no A & C connectors in the diagnostic plug then?
General experience is that Astras up to build date Aug '00 with engine code Xnnxxx can have diagnostics read by "paper clip trick" or Tech2-type equipment but those built after Aug '00 with engine code Znnxxx can only have diagnostics read by OBD2 type readers or Tech2-types .
Forgot to add - only engine ECU fault codes can be read by "paper clip" method, regardless of age.

Other ECUs like airbag, cooling and transmission can only be read by Vauxhall Tech2 or equivalent independent diagnostic machines.
Diagnosed the gearbox with 3 tools ( dealers tech2, opelscanner, opcom)

All three idicated the same fault:

56 Selector switch, wrong signal.

Now I'll have to strip down the selector, clean it, realign it and put it back.
I hope that this will solve the problem.

Thanks!

BTW: The ECU of this tranny stores the fault codes :)