306 coolant fan with aircon - scfc_151
on a motorway journey in traffic i noticed my temperature rising to over 100 degrees and the fans would not work so i put the heater on full blast until i could get off.

The car has air con but at the minute isnt working as it needs gassing after the condenser is replaced. (dont know if this affects it or not)?

I was wondering what tests i could do to test. I know theres a briton sensor involved in the aircon and coolant fan but i dont know much about it. I have looked on peugeotlogic at the cooling system but could do with a few pointers.

the car is a 306 hdi (2001) and the access is quite arkward so any advise id be greatful

cheers
306 coolant fan with aircon - Fullchat
If your condensor is gone your radiator will be on its last legs or will be when you move it. You may well have perished aircon pipe/s across the front of the car. Do a 'Peugeot 306 aircon' search on this forum there are some useful posts.
Have not answered your fans question but it may be a radiator temp sensor problem I believe you can unplug the sensor and bridge the connections in the plug to see if the fan/s kick in.
--
Fullchat
306 coolant fan with aircon - RichardW
The fans should work for engine cooling, irrespective of the state of the A/C. They should always come on together - at slow speed (wired in series) at about 85°C, and high speed (wired in parallel) at something over 95°C. The Bitron simply switches the relays (3 of them) that control what speeds the fans are running at, and controls the additional functionality required with A/C (eg fans on all the time, fans on high if A/C pressure goes too high). The most likely cause of the problem is either a failed (seized and/or burnt out) fan(s), or dodgy wiring at the relays (which are mounted near the fans somewhere -may even be between them at the top. The Bitron uses a temp sensor in the thermostat housing, normally coloured brown, and having 2 wires to it (rather than the other sensors which only have 1 wire). If you pull this sensor connector off, both fans should start on high speed (the Bitron detects no connection as a fault condition). If only one starts, then the other is goosed one way or another. If neither starts, then it's time to get the tools out.....

I believe there is some good info at www.peugeotlogic.com
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....