Car Makers & Build Quality!! - audiaudi
Hi

Over the last 15/17 years, I've only driven German cars - Audi's up until recently and now a Merc.

I've heard about the brand new Moneo soon to be launched and been in the Ford S Max and the current Mondeo Ghia. I've also been in the new GM Zifira and Vectra about a year ago. Must admit, that all the models were close to the top end of their range.

My point is this - do the majority of new Fords/Vauxhall have similar or better build quality than Mercs and BMW - Audi is being caught up too.

The Ford/Vauhallls are normally a lot cheaper once the standard discount kicks in.

The warranty periods are about the same.

O'm also advised that the average warranty repair on a larger ford/vauhall is lower than a Merc/BMW and they are just as reliable.

Would people agree with me or do they know any better.

I've been tempted to change to an S Max 2:5 Titatnium or somehting that sounds like that, but at the end of the day, I fear I may be a badge snob?

BTW - Mazda.Toyota, Nissan, and a few others fit in with the above
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - cheddar
I tend to defend Vauxhall, Ford and Renault because their products have generally given me/us good service though of the three it is Ford that is now right up there in build quality terms with MB, BMW and Audi, I dont want to mis-quote though I think I have seen HJ quote Ford as being on a par with BMW and Audi and ahead of MB.
Hi Cheddar

I totally agree re Audi being ahead of Mercs - but Audi interiros are bland compared to par models. The only reason I bought the Merc was the satisying 3 pointed stars on the bonnet and the long bonnet and the engine is in long ways.

The Fords build quality, especially the S max and the Focus, is better than an A/B/C/ and E class Merc.
The last BMW i was in was a few months ago, 645 convertible I think, and that did win me over, but at that price, I'm sure there are other cars that are just as good - but the shape is awsome.

The BMW 3 series outsells the Mondeo and as the name = BMW 3 series has been around for so long - when some one states they have a 3 series, one tends to wonder if its a banger or a nice new model. BMW need to change car names imo.

The S Max by Fords sounds really good and great car.

Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Victorbox
I've had a new Zafira since January & I'm amazed just how good the build quality is. Feels very solid with perfect paint, shut lines, trim / panel fit with no faults at all in 10 months.
I've had a new Zafira since January & I'm amazed just
how good the build quality is. Feels very solid with perfect
paint, shut lines, trim / panel fit with no faults at
all in 10 months.

Agree, as I went to see one and the fold flat seats as I wished to rent it for a few days next week for my daughters wedding - but it was too small for our needs and the S Max is not yet avialable for rental so settled for the old Galaxy Zetec to move things around for the Friday and Saturday parties and then the main event on Sunday. The new Galaxy's build quality is great but and fold flat seats like Zafira, but not avialalbe for rental.

The more I read and write about this subject, the more I want to trade in the humble C Class for a Ford, but badge snobbery stops me from doing so

:(
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - stunorthants
I was wondering about this same point today. I was cleaning a BMW 120i and a Mini Cooper Conv', both top spec ones.

On the face of it, having poked around in the interiors of both cars one after the other, id say the Mini has the edge on both design and quality. The BMW felt especially low rent and it was wearing very quickly after only 15k on the clock.

I was very impressed with the interiors of a Mondeo Ghia X and some of the latest japanese offerings. My mums Hyundai Coupe is pretty nice for what is a budget priced car aswell.

I think the thing with german built cars, is we have come to have high expectations because during the 80's and early 90's, they were the benchmark, but now they are sadly slipping yet still asking the earth for decidedly average cars.

I think id have a Mondeo over anything german these days, although id prob put my money in japanese built cars still as they dont seem to have lost their redeeming feature of reliability while still managing to produce interesting and ever higher quality cars.
Stunthhants

Re Hyundia

Never been in one, but they are building better looking cars all the time and give a FIVE year warranty. TEN years warranty in the USA. (10 years the last time we went there, 2005)

The 3 Series looks saprtan for the money.
I quite agree - the latest Hyundai Coupe is actually quite handsome car and in red, number of kids who thought it was a Ferrari is hilarious.

The deal you get with these cars is outstanding.

My mums car, a V6 manual comes with 6-speed gearbox, usual air con, leather, elec windows/mirrors, cruise control and cd player, plus the 5 year warranty, plus she got 3 years free servicing, the dealer is great and nothing has gone wrong with it or fallen off in 16,000 miles and all this for £16,500 brand new. Thats what BMW drivers miss out on - any sense of value for money!

Oh and if that wasnt good enough, I watched a test drive with our very own Richard Hammond and even he liked it, much to his suprise if I recall.

It just goes to show, especially by how many of these cars you see around, that alot of people are starting to cotton on to how good these cars are and how short changed other car makers will leave them.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Waino
I've yet to see a Hyundai Coupe with any rust on it. SWMBO would have had one except for the fact that (at 6ft3), I didn't have enough headroom.
We particularly like the quirky looks of the twin-headlight model of about 5 years ago.
The paint quality is excellent - ive cleaned quite a few of the early cars and none of them had rust either, just laquer issues with the alloys is all I could fault on them, but the finish is different on teh newest ones.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - jase1
I've yet to see a Hyundai Coupe with any rust on
it.

To be honest, when was the last time you saw a rotten Hyundai (>1995) full stop? The worst Accent/Lantra/Sonata I've seen had a tiny bit of brown (no bubbling) on the rear wheelarches, but most seem rust-free.

HJ in his review of the Accent says it is rust-prone, but I have yet to see evidence of this. Is it the underside? I asked my mechanic about this and he said that Hyundais don't rot. Dunno who to believe.
I didn't have enough headroom.

Same deal here. Head hitting the ceiling. Great pity.

Hyundais have been very well built for at least the last 5 years. The interiors were carp, but this is improving all the time and they are fast catching up to European levels (indeed IMO they've already surpassed some of the Japanese makes). It really is getting to the point where you'd be a fool to not at least consider Hyundai/Kia in some classes.

Mind you, the general standard of build quality across the board now is excellent, regardless of manufacturer. As they are getting better and better, the rationale for buying premium cars is getting less convincing.

When you get to the point where the worst part of a car is a hard plastic dashboard, you're not doing badly -- the vast majority of cars were plasticky up to the mid-90s.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - alex

"The new Galaxy's build quality is great ..."

This vehicle is made in Portugal. I wonder if Ford product quality varies (as it did with VW's mark 4 Golf) depending on the factory ?

For example, is a German-made Focus or Fiesta screwed together better at Ford's Germany (Saarlouis/Cologne) or its plant in Spain (Valencia) ?
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Roger Jones
Having switched from an Audi 100 to an MB W124 Coupé seven years ago, I felt at the time that the Audi was nearly as good as the MB, and in some respects better, in terms of build quality, and there was no doubt that the paintwork was superior (and that was comparing a 1989 Audi with a 1995 MB, before the corroding W210 E-Class arrived). My impression is that Audi have subsequently got even better and that MB certainly haven't.

An historical aside: my 1984 Capri 2.8i still feels like it was built in Cologne and not Dagenham, as indeed it was. Right from new it felt more solid that its two UK-built predecessors.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - MVP
Up to the end of the 1980s, I think German cars were probably the best quality - if you wanted a reliable car you bought a Merc , but at a high price.

The Japanese started to produce cars as good as the Germans (and probably better today) and this raised the bar for other european manufacturers.

Today, I think you pay a 25-50% premium for a German badge - near enough the same quality as a jap, but at a huge snob premium.

The question realy is, how much of your money are you preparred to spend to impress your mates and neighbours?
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - rtj70
"My impression is that Audi have subsequently got even better and that MB certainly haven't."

Could the difference also be based on where the car was built. Aren't some MB models in right hand drive layout built in South Africa. Whereas the same car as a LHD is built in Germany. I know for sure all RHD C-Class cars are built in the East London plant in South Africa but the LHD are built in Sindelfingen and Bremen, Germany.
I know for sure all RHD C-Class cars
are built in the East London plant in South Africa but
the LHD are built in Sindelfingen and Bremen, Germany.

I thought that only saloons are made in SA?
You could be right but we both agree there are MB's built in SA for the RHD market. Shouldn't be a difference because they only assemble the vehicles.

Even the Bentley Continental GT and Flying Spur aren't totally made in Crewe. They do hand built the engines (blocks VW supplied) but completed car bodies arrive from Germany via transporter. Loads of them arrive each night. Apprently the plan is to send components back on the once empty transporters so they can assemble Bentley's for other countries at the same plant that makes the Phaeton.
Good points

Re the Obsidian black on our MB - the ruddy fox and family that live down the bottom of our garden and jump the massive gayes onto the drive and poo by the car and twice on it have caused sracth marks to the paint work.

The paint job on the C class w203 I have was an experient that went badly wrong i think - I've had the car washeds 2 times and there are swirl marks from the paid professional hand washes and that ruddy fox who has left and 2 foot scratch on the roof as it clibs over the car to and from our rear garden.
This vehicle is made in Portugal.

No the new Galaxy, S-MAX and the new Mondeo are made in Genk (Belgium). Over 50,000 S-MAX/Galaxies already built apparently. See:

media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=24341

The old Galaxy was made with the Sharan and Alhambra in a shared facility which I guess was Portugal based.
This vehicle is made in Portugal. I wonder if Ford
product quality varies (as it did with VW's mark 4
Golf) depending on the factory ?

Likewise SA / German 3 Series and MB's, certainly in the early 2000's C-Class estates made in Germany were better than the saloons made in SA.

However having worked for a large multinational with production facilities in various countries I think it is a matter of culture, Ford seem to have established a great culture within their European operations, a pride in the product etc
Totally agree re the SA build quality problems.

The Germans do it better in Germany and even with Fords as one other respected member stated.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - v0n
I think this is issue of the some cars just "showing age". 5 year old Audi, inside, will have a lot of trim that owners of 1 year old "cheap" Skoda will find instantly familiar. That's not because Audi doesn't have luxurious interiors anymore but because they let design to run too long and new products bridged the gap. However, sit inside mid range product, such as new Volvo S80 and I guarantee you won't mistake it for Zafira or Focus (especially low end ones - like LX with horrible ash grey hard elephant skin plastics everywhere).
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Comparison between an Octavia and A4 is relevant, comparison between an S80 and a Focus is not! Nevertheless the Focus compares well in quality of plastics with the MkV Golf.
Comparison between an Octavia and A4 is relevant, comparison between an
S80 and a Focus is not! Nevertheless the Focus compares well
in quality of plastics with the MkV Golf.

Why not - A4 vs Octavia is comparison of 40k executive class car to 16k hatchback. And so is comparison of S80 to Focus. Original poster asked about comparison of built quality of executive cars to modern everyday Fords or Vauxhalls, so I'm not sure why you insist we compare trim of two hatchbacks in the same class and price range....
--------------------
A4, 40k - perhaps 0.5% of A4s sold are £40k!

The original poster asked about comparison of built quality of MB etc with Ford etc, not executive cars to Fords or Vauxhalls in general, therefore a Focus, Golf, A3, 1 Series comparison is relevant, as is perhaps Mondeo, A4, C-Class and C-Max, A-Class / S-Max, B-Class etc though not Focus to S80, that's like comparing a 1 Series with an A8 or an A3 with an XJ.
The original poster asked about comparison of built quality of MB
etc with Ford etc, not executive cars to Fords or Vauxhalls
in general, therefore a Focus, Golf, A3, 1 Series comparison is
relevant, as is perhaps Mondeo, A4, C-Class and C-Max, A-Class /
S-Max, B-Class etc though not Focus to S80, that's like comparing
a 1 Series with an A8 or an A3 with an XJ.

I'm not sure what the key to this logic is - a Benz vs a Ford is fine, A4 vs Octavia is fine, but Volvo S80 vs Focus is like 1 series vs XJ? Perhaps you see Volvo S80 in a different class than it really is? Audi A4 range starts at £20k, ends at 42k, Volvo S80 starts at £23, ends around £43k mark (therefore both are comparable). Meanwhile XJ starts at £40k ends at £75, A8 starts at £46k and goes all the way to £80k. They are not in the same class, not the same price range and most definitely - not the same quality expectations...

--------------------
I'm not sure what the key to this logic is -
a Benz vs a Ford is fine, A4 vs Octavia is
fine, but Volvo S80 vs Focus is like 1 series vs
XJ?

You mentioned S80 in comparison to Focus, all I did is point out that it is an irrelevant comparison, perhaps my other examples were rather extreme.

PS: Renault RS26 V8 is NOT a Nissan engine - va va voom...
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - tom_79
I have found a friend's 55-plate Focus C-Max to be very impressive regarding build quality. The interior and exterior seem to be really tightly built, and so far the car has been completely trouble-free.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Aprilia
As I've posted on here before, this convergence in cars is inevitable. Over the last 10-15 years there has been tremendous consolidation of second and third-tier suppliers - so many vehicle manufacturers are sourcing parts from the same suppliers. Typically a VM will buy from 1/10th the number of suppliers compared with the early 90's. Increasingly the VM's are allowing suppliers to design and produce complete sub-assemblies. Companies like Ford truthfully design less and less of their cars with even engines and transmissions being designed by external consultancies and suppliers. Often it comes down to 'premium' makers specifying a component that is of a slightly higher quality or with more functionality - but that doesn't necessarily translate into better performance or reliability.
Manufacturing systems too have become more similar with the Japanese leading the way. Visit a few different car plants and you get used to seeing the same FANUC robots and similar track layouts. I think its getting harder for the 'premium' brands to sustain their pricing - which is why they put so much effort into image building, brand loyalty and creating a nice "customer experience" - fancy dealerships etc - the dealer playing a bigger part in the car-owning exprience. Personally I find it a bit cringe-inducing, rather like those American restaurants where the 'servers' introduce themselves and make strenuous enquiries about your health and what sort of a day you've had. Some dealerships now employ 'greeters' and all that nonsense.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Stuartli
Modern vehicle build quality has improved in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years or so, but it's hardly surprising in view of the legislation now in force to ensure that vehicles' built-in safety levels meet ever rising standards.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Blue {P}
My 7 year old E46 coupe has covered just over 100K and is wearing very well, with just slight evidence of the miles starting to show on the driver's seat and that's about it.

Blue
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - type's'
>>Totally agree re the SA build quality problems.
The Germans do it better in Germany and even with Fords as one other respected member stated.<<

All RHD 3 series are made in South Africa and they are some of the best quality cars you can buy, so I disagree that the Germans do it better.

>>so many vehicle manufacturers are sourcing parts from the same suppliers.<<
This is true of most but not all car makers.

Alot of the Japanese companies make their own parts or set up companies to do it for them to the standard they demend. Toyota did this with denso. Toyota also have a factory to make their own catatlyst substrates.
Where most manufacturers will use bosch abs and fuel mgt systems Honda create their own - as they do exhaust systems among other parts.

It also really has alot to do with people's perception of build quality - to me it is duarbility and reliability and sorry to be repatitive but the Japs have the lead on this and unless they do something daft (which I would put my mortgage on them not doing) they will always be out in front.
As one Japanese CEO said, we are not worried about the competition as we are 20 years in front of them and while we continue to improve they cannot catch us up on reliability and duarability whilst maintaining the profit levels the Japs do.
When you read/listen to the whole speech it does not sound as arrogant as it does when I write it.
The basic message is that if they want to catch up in the short term the competition will have to spend too much for them to be profitable.

You only have to look at Lexus in the US as a case in point - from nothing they now sell more cars in the US than MB, BMW & Audi put together - that is in a market where quality and reliability is usually put before the badge.

As one Japanese CEO said, we are not worried about the
competition as we are 20 years in front of them and
while we continue to improve they cannot catch us up on
reliability and duarability whilst maintaining the profit levels the Japs do.

So why did Nissan need a hand out from Renault. likewise Mazda from Ford?

When it comes down to it the Japanese manufacturers that are finanicially strong are Toyota and Honda and they are only more profitable globaly at present than for instance GM, Daimler Chrysler or Ford because these three have, as they restructure to meet future market demands, astronomical US domestic social costs to bear.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Collos25
"Toyota did this with denso"

Denso is part of GM
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - lordwoody
In What Cars 2005 reliability survey ( the most recent I could find quickly) Audi came third from bottom. ( Out of 30 manufacturers)
Saab was second from bottom and Land Rover last. Having said that, when you delve further into the survey the A4 was 9th most reliable model.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Stuartli
>>when you delve further into the survey the A4 was 9th most reliable model.>>

...and the Skoda Octavia was more than likely to occupy its usual spot - in the top three...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Roger Jones
Interesting and well informed insights as usual, Aprilia, and not a little ironic that the reputation of MB main dealers has declined over the past ten years, not least since the disappearance of locally owned companies, regrouping, and more centralized control. Come to think of it, there are plenty who would also argue that the intrinsic quality of the cars has declined over the same period, the technical advances notwithstanding.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - Aprilia
"Toyota did this with denso"
Denso is part of GM

No its not, you're thinking of Delphi - which is a spin-off from GM.

Most manufacturers (not just Japanese) have had these spin-off companies.
Toyota have spun off Aisan automatic transmission (used now on loads of cars, inc. GM and Volvo), Nissan have spun off JATCO (which subsequently took over Mitsubishi Diamondtronic). Renault took over Bendix's fuel injection business which then went to Siemens etc etc. Its quite complicated.

The Honda fuel injection system mentioned above as 'their own' (Honda PGMFI) actually has many items licensed from Bosch. Similarly Nissan ECCS fuel injection is a modified licensed version of Bosch LH-Jetronic.

Most Ford petrol engines are now of Japanese design (Yamaha or Mazda) and Ford automatic transmissions are now designed by ZF, and smaller GM transmissions are Japanese designed (Aisan Warner).

Then you get cars like the Daewoo Leganza auto, with an Australian-made GM-derived engine, a German-made ZF automatic transmission and Japanese-designed Korean-made electrical system.
Car Makers & Build Quality!! - mrmender
As i have mentioned previously i'm now working in Saudi i've been riding around for the last 5 weeks in company GMC Sierra pick ups and Yukon & suburban. Basicaly all the same vehicle with either Pick up or estate rear end with varring wheel base (from large to plain silly)
I was used to Land cruser Amazon's whilst working in Sudan. I thought those a little on the large side for UK roads these GMC's make land cruser, look like a Focus.
Anyway the point of this Quality! on these GMC's is appailing in the P/U's you can see wire's & heater workings, on the estate models (yukon & suburban) all they have done is put up a crude plastic screen to cover the heater workings and wires
You would have thought GM would have learnt something from Opel/Vauxhall
I have to say though appart from being crude, with cart sprung rear end and ride to match. When you press the gas pedal and hear the V8 wake up, you can forgive them anything!!!!
>>So why did Nissan need a hand out from Renault. likewise Mazda from Ford?<<
kinda narrows down which one of the CEO's said it.

Also apologies to all - I need to correct something I stated earlier. I said that Lexus were outselling all MB, BMW and Audi combined in the US whichis not what I read after checking again today.
(That will teach me to post stuff at 2 am after a long haul flight)
What I read was that with one model Lexus were outselling all the MB models combined in the US.
Funny thing is I did not think the original incorrect statement I made was that strange.

Question as well - based on the above - did Mazda actually need a hand out from Ford or did Ford just see Mazda as a good business proposition.
I have heard some fantatsic stories related to this merger/buyout - I think we all heard the gearbox one when a Mazda plant and a Ford plant were manufacturing the same gearbox and the warranty costs were so much greater on the Ford gearboxes - not that is better quality. The other one has nothing to do with quality so I will discuss it on another thread.

>>GM, Daimler Chrysler or Ford because these three have, as they restructure to meet future market demands, astronomical US domestic social costs to bear.<<

As you say "as they restructure" - which is more to do with the fact less people want their cars. If they continued to sell cars they could meet their costs.
As we all know the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry continue to challenge for best selling US car (Toyota usually top spot) and these cars have a reputation as being of the highest quality.

Another interesting point is that we all think that it is because Ford and GM only sell SUV's in the US and people want small cars now - well don't GM and Ford sell cars to compete with Camry and Accord - of course the have.
Plus recent sales figures for Toyota show strong growth of SUV sales in the US currently.

So IMO what is driving sales trends in the US is MORE to do with quality and reliability than vehicle choice as in SUV v normal car (although there is no doubt there is an overall decline in SUV sales in the US).