What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The Top Gear Thread - Volume 22 - drbe

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 23 *****

Originally titled "A Reasonably Priced Car?" but as Volume 21 has filled up, volume 22 has been started - DD

Why do The Top Gear people use such obscure cars?
A Chevrolet Lacetti? Wossat?

Why don't they use say - a Ford Focus, Audi A3, VW Golf, or whatever? A car that we see on the High Street, a car that we know and love (or hate).
A Reasonably Priced Car? - Dynamic Dave
Why do The Top Gear people use such obscure cars?
Why don't they use say - a Ford Focus, Audi A3,
VW Golf, or whatever?

Because the feature is called "A star in a reasonably priced car", of which the ones in your list generally are not.
A Reasonably Priced Car? - Drash
To my mind "cheap" and "reasonably priced" are not synonyms - a 911 is reasonably priced if it is similarly priced to all its competitors with similar features/performance. A Focus in neither expensive nor cheap, but pitched at a reasonable price to sell the volumes desired by its creators with the required return on investment. Methinks a marketing bung/inducement was received, why else use something so non-mainstream?
A Reasonably Priced Car? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I've just re-watched the programme in which JC spent 2 or 3 days lashing round the Ring in a diesel Jag and wet himself when he manged 9.59. Then the lovely Sabine went round and, on what appeared to be her first lap in the car, but her 50,000th at the Ring, did 9.12! Just awesome!
A Reasonably Priced Car? - Stuartli
>>Just awesome!>>

Even more impressive in a van if I remember correctly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
A Reasonably Priced Car? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Yes - she did tell JC that could beat 10 minutes in a van but she (just) couldn't! She did her best and she terrified the Hamster and it was eye-popping to watch. If you recall she went round, then they took as much weight out as they could and used gaffer tape to fill in the air gaps and finally they had a Dodge Viper ahead of her to break up the air. Still, it was a bog standard Transit SFAIK.
A Reasonably Priced Car? - CTG Drew
That?s part of the problem with this show. They do a lot of fake stuff and then come back to the studio and with a straight face, emphatically try to clamed it was all real! Off the top of my head the episode where the tank was chasing JC in some car and they claimed the tank ?could never get a lock on him?? Yeah right! If that was real he would have been killed so fast it?s not even funny. But then he comes back and is like ?I swear to you it was all real!? Same with the attack helicopter one. These were obviously stunts and skits all planned out on a whiteboard before they were ever filmed.

So because of that when I see the N-ring episode where JC finally makes his time by 1 second in his last try and then claims it was ?all real? I?m sitting there thinking what a bunch of BS! I?m sure some stuff is real and a lot of it is staged. I think the name of the show should be ?Top Gear believe it or not??!
>>?Top Gear believe it or not??!>>

But you have still got to admit (surely) that some of the "stunts" dreamed up are quite remarkable.

Such as the Mini down the famous ski slope...:-)

A Reasonably Priced Car? - nick
It was great entertainment and I laughed out loud at lots of it. Far better than Fifth Gear with their oh-so-smug-we're-racing-drivers-let's-congratulate-each-other routine every week. And does Jason Plato really think it is a good idea to drive at 155mph on a public road in pouring rain however good the car or driver? What a twit.
Oh I agree that a lot of the "stunts" are great! That whole Olympics episode was one of the best ever! But again like the recycled scene where they race the rally car against the bobsled and all the shots are just right so the car is passing under the part of the track at just the right time so you see the car and sled ?neck and neck? (same thing when James raced the kid on the mountain bike in Spain), come on that is obviously staged!

I just wish they would stop going back to a studio shot after one that is obviously fake and trying to claim its "REAL!", ?we didn?t plan any of that!?. Cant they just go on to something else after one of those and just say nothing about it? That would be a lot better.

But of course I love the show! That?s why I made a whole message board devoted to it - clubtopgear.com

Its just to bad that I barely have any users, I fell terrible that I'm sitting here discussing the episode and the MPG article on this board and not my own :(
>>What a twit.>>

I would be perfectly happy being alongside him - the man is a professional driver and, what's more, how can you be sure that he was actually doing that speed whilst it was raining?

It's easy to edit video tape and we've already discussed the possible ways of "creating" stunts...:-)
A Reasonably Priced Car? - trancer
If the road was bone dry someone would still have something to say about the speeds Plato was doing.

I know its a serous earner for them, but the silly quiz bits of 5th Gear absolutely do my head in.
A Reasonably Priced Car? - Citroënian {P}
I'm getting the feeling that not everything I see on the telly is entirely true.... ;-)

Was awed by the 5th Gear rich bloke garage. He had a terrible taste in colours, but that was really quite something.

"Oh, yes. The Carerra GT. I'm rather embarrased to say I've not had a chance to drive that one yet."

No, he was probably too busy in the Zonda F or the pair of Koenigsocks. Or the GT40. or...

Vroom x2 aside, I don't dislike any of the car shows on TV; each has their own merits - TG is my favourite, but I really like Tiff & Plato, Penny & Jason. Any road up - they certainly all beat the soaps!

VBH is rubbish though, time to trade her in for either a classic (Penny Mallory/Louise Aitken-Walker) or a new model (Sabine Schmidt).

{exits stage left}

Lee -- You don\'t sell the steak, you sell the sizzle
>>VBH is rubbish though>>

You jest of course..:-)
A Reasonably Priced Car? - Citroënian {P}
:-)

Lee -- You don\'t sell the steak, you sell the sizzle
Also in this episode Richard says he thinks the only car that could beat the Zonda F is the Bugatti Veyron. I have read people saying similar things on a lot of boards. Am I the only one that sees the problem here? Am I the only one that is NOT that impressed with the Bugatti?

The Zonda F weighs 2711lbs, the Koenigsegg CCX just 2200lbs! The Veyron weighs 4160 lb!!! The Veyron is a boat! It may have 1,000 HP but at that weight that will not be that fast. The CCX has 800HP and weighs almost half as much! How on earth could the Veyron even come close to the times of the Zonda, MC12, and Enzo??

Can someone please explain to me why there is so much hype around the Veyron? I just don?t get it; I don?t even think it?s very good looking!
>>What a twit.>>
I would be perfectly happy being alongside him - the man
is a professional driver and, what's more, how can you be
sure that he was actually doing that speed whilst it was
raining?
It's easy to edit video tape and we've already discussed the
possible ways of "creating" stunts...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

If he actually did it, then he is a twit. On a public road, in heavy rain, 155mph is silly. Even in the dry, it's a bit dodgy, there is other traffic after all. I'm sure he is a wonderful driver but not everyone else on the road is. The laws of physics apply to all.
>>then he is a twit>>

I've had the pleasure of being in the front passenger seat with Stirling Moss on several occasions, a number of rally drivers and various other professional drivers.

Believe you me they make it look easy even at well into three-figure speeds but also, believe you me, they won't take unnecessary risks.
Bugatti?s secret is out! LOL
clubtopgear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=768#768
>>then he is a twit>>
I've had the pleasure of being in the front passenger seat
with Stirling Moss on several occasions, a number of rally drivers
and various other professional drivers.
Believe you me they make it look easy even at well
into three-figure speeds but also, believe you me, they won't take
unnecessary risks.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

On a public road in rain at 155mph? Not risky? Don't make me laugh.
>>On a public road in rain at 155mph? Not risky? Don't make me laugh.>>

Both the car and the driver are perfectly capable of the feat; as I stated before I'm quite sure that Plato would not be prepared to take unnecessary risks whatever the conditions.

As none of us, except those who were directly involved, are aware of the true circumstances, it has to be conjecture on any safety issues involved (if any).
I think we'll agree to disagree. This is tedious.
A Reasonably Priced Car? - Pugugly {P}

"Both the car and the driver are perfectly capable of the feat"

I'm sure. But at those speeds it's other facotrs I'd be worried about.
A slight detour on the subject. Matt Neal, when asked during a Q and A session on this afternoon's BTCC TV coverage what was the fastest speed he had driven, replied 185mph.

By the way, this was on the M5....:-)

Beats my 135mph on the M50 about 12 years ago.
But at those speeds..>

See:

tinyurl.com/q2x8m

for a bit more on this...
TG 14/5/06 - Altea Ego
Rubbish prog this week.

but what was the music played during the last moment of the Jaguar report?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TG 14/5/06 - David Horn
I want to know that too - send a fantastic shiver right down my back.

The radio show was side-splitting though, loved Clarkson's traffic reports and the look of horror on the producer's face when he said someone was ginger and welsh was hilarious!

And that sports bloke was an idiot. I don't understand the rules of cricket but this guy was exceptionally rude about it.
TG 14/5/06 - Imagos
The music was from the movie 'The Rock' starring Sean Connery.
TG 14/5/06 - drbe
And that sports bloke was an idiot. I don't understand
the rules of cricket but this guy was exceptionally rude about
it.

>>

No. He wasn't rude, he made some pointed remarks.

I think it is entirely reasonable to expect an Englishman to know what 253 for 3 means.
TG 14/5/06 - Pugugly {P}
May would know - it was a "Komic Kut" moment.
TG 14/5/06 - Sprice
Did you notice that the Corvette's speedo was calibrated to something like 320MPH? It was definately in MPH and not KPH wasn't it?
TG 14/5/06 - David Horn
He may have made those remarks, but it was extremely unprofessional to do it on radio, as it killed the conversation. Not that it was professional already... ;-)

Are you sure that song's from The Rock soundtrack? I've just worked my way through the previews on Amazon and can't hear it on any track.
TG 14/5/06 - Imagos
Are you sure that song's from The Rock soundtrack? I've just worked my way through the previews on Amazon and can't hear it on any track>>

It is part of the general soundtrack and not an individual track by an artist.

Yes i'm sure!
TG 14/5/06 - David Horn
Drat. So I assume it's going to be rather difficult to get hold of it?
TG 14/5/06 - richy
David, if you really want to know more about this song the drop the gorgeous Jo Whiley off 'v Radio 1 an email. She on from 10 till 1 weekdays and usualy does a feature on any catchy and unheard of tunes on adverts and stuff, tells you the artist/title and plays it afterwards. Good luck!
TG 14/5/06 - Murphy The Cat
And the music that was on whilst in Iceland was pretty damn good as well. Anybody have any details of it ?

MTC
TG 14/5/06 - mare
David

these guys will know the track, give them a few days to work on it.

forum.finalgear.com/viewforum.php?f=28

TG 14/5/06 - JAJ
TVM - agree with you on tonights show. First time in a while that I have had the fast forward button on.

The thing that's starting to driv eme mad is that the humour is becoming more and more lewd each week. I like a laugh just as much as the next person, but I watch normally with my 8 year old son and I'm really not in the mood for nipple jokes or making fun of drugs. I remember with the Alfa coupe last series one of them saying that they had a 'semi' and one saying he needed to change his pants. Is this necessary ?

Grumpy old git (or just a parent who worries).
TG 14/5/06 - bell boy
Grumpy old git (or just a parent who worries).

myself and the wife thought the comedy very funny tonight

sorry mate......maybe 8 year old should be in bed for 8pm
TG 14/5/06 - David Horn
I'm 20 and wasn't impressed with them making fun of the whole drugs thing - particularly involving that guy from the audience. Suspect there'll be a few complaints to Ofcom about that. :)
TG 14/5/06 - bell boy
oh dear
TG 14/5/06 - Imagos
but what was the music played during the last moment of the Jaguar report?>>

Hans Zimmer-The Rock (movie theme soundtrack) you will find it on P2P networks at your own risk (highly illegal)
TG 14/5/06 - Adam {P}
I don't suppose it`s worth me trying tocatch the repeatthen?
TG 14/5/06 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Hans Zimmer - what a fantastic composer! If you are interested go to www.imdb.com and checkout the films for which he has done the music, nearly 100 at the last count. Gladiator is probably the best known (with Lisa Gerrad) and he has done the music, yet to be heard, for the Da Vinci Code. The Film Board wanted to raise the viewing certificate age because the music was so scary! I think it is being re-edited to overcome this.
TG 14/5/06 - Dynamic Dave
TVM - agree with you on tonights show.

Ditto. It would seem they put the best episode on last week, instead of leaving it until the end of the series and go out on a high.

Even The Stig wasn't impressed and walked off mid interview.

Lets hope next weeks episode isn't as dull. More "brainiac" type stuff is what's required.
TG 14/5/06 - CTG Drew
www.clubtopgear.com/images/Clarkson_finger.jpg
Is Clarkson giving Gordon Ramsay the finger? LOL He scratched his face with his middle finger right after Ramsay asked him if he had ever run a marathon! LOL :lol:
TG 14/5/06 - Stuartli
>>Even The Stig wasn't impressed and walked off mid interview.>>

Much of the show is scripted - by JC...
TG 14/5/06 - Altea Ego
Godamn it - you folks are determined to ruin my entertainment.

First Dave the Mod tells me the car wash did not catch fire and it was a stunt, then you tell me its all scripted and the stig did not walk out in protest.

I suppose one of you clever cloggs is going to try and tell me the A team does not exist. (I have been waiting for a call from the los Angles underground for quite some time I have to admit)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TG 14/5/06 - Adam {P}
Shut up fool. Of course the A-Team exist.
Much of the show is scripted - by JC...

/\\
::states the bleeding obvious::
TG 14/5/06 - Stuartli
>::states the bleeding obvious::>>

It might be to you but to some others it obviously doesn't.
TG 14/5/06 - Group B
>> TVM - agree with you on tonights show.
Ditto. It would seem they put the best episode on last
week, instead of leaving it until the end of the series
and go out on a high.

I agree too. I normally enjoy TG but that radio show bit was a complete waste of time, only a tenuous link to cars and was not funny; just as annoying as it must have been for the people driving home that day.
Thought the Corvette and the Tomcat buggy in Iceland were cool though.

Trouble is the show is now so blatantly scripted, I didnt know whether to believe the Stigs lap time in the Liana. I would expect him to beat Mansell because he's been driving it around that track for months, but how do we know Clarkson didnt make the time up to make him look better?
TG 14/5/06 - Round The Bend
"how do we know Clarkson didnt make the time up to make him look
better?>>

Er .... we don't. Does it matter that much? It's only an entertaining TV programme.

Next Week: Fawlty Towers does n't really exist shock!
_______
IanS
TG 14/5/06 - Adam {P}
Take that back.
TG 14/5/06 - Round The Bend
Take that back.>>

OK. Basil Fawlty is alive and well and lives in Torquay.....just up the road from Noddy and Big Ears.
_______
IanS
TG 14/5/06 - AR-CoolC
WHAT? Noddy and Big ears don't live in Toy town?
And now back to discussion of Top Gear. DD.
TG 14/5/06 - daveyjp
Saw the first half, but will need to watch the second half before making judgement - 4 week old's can't scream quietly!! I told her it was my hour to watch TV and that I had taken her out all day and all she did was sleep, but she wouldn't listen!!!
TG 14/5/06 - Group B
"how do we know Clarkson didnt make the time up to
make him look
better?>>
Er .... we don't. Does it matter that much? It's only
an entertaining TV programme.

Perhaps Ellen MacArthur actually came last on the leaderboard, but Clarkson picked her a fast time out of the hat, and they edited it to make her look quick. No it doesnt matter too much, I'm not bothered really.
(Quick get those scary monkeys off the roof, even though we put monkey food on it to make them sit there.)
Next week they'll be telling us with straight faces that Jaguar are shifting all production to the Falklands, and that you can run modern diesel engines on salad cream (with hilarious results!); but it doesn't matter if its true or not, its just entertainment...

;o)
TG 14/5/06 - CTG Drew
Here is my quick review -
(DON?T READ IF YOU DON?T WANT IT TO BE SPOILED)

? The Stig in the Z06 was great! I?m really glad this show is finally showing how fast the Z06 is. The Nürburgring times have been out for a while and everyone already knew it was faster on the Nring that the F430 and Zonda S. However that whole piece where Jeremy drives around with fire burning behind him was pretty stupid.

? The Iceland Rally car VS. kayak was rubbish except for the beautiful scenery.

? Ditto for the Jag Xk piece and why didn?t they let the Stig test that car?

? The Gordon Ramsay part was funny just because I think Clarkson flipped him off! Lol

? That whole radio part was just lame and a waist of video.

? The Stig doing the finally lap in the Suzuki was really cool.

All in all a pretty weak episode. I hope next weeks will be better.
TG 14/5/06 - oldgit
I have to admit and I'm glad my partner cannot read this entry that last night's show was, in the main, rubbish. I usually spend most of the week looking forward to Sunday night's TV and TG but throughout this programme I kept on looking at the clock just to check exactly how much longer there was to the end.
I find certain aspects of the programme format cringeworthy and embarrassing and can see why my partner shuts her eyes and often falls asleep.

I know it is supposed to be lighthearted entertainment but some of it is, well, just boring particularly that Iceland sketch and I wish they would not keep on employing so many distracting visual colour effects.

I just wish that some part of TG could actually be allocated to some 'sensible' aspects of ordinary day motoring, involving cars that the majority of us drive or are likely to drive in our lifetime.
TG 14/5/06 - CTG Drew
Olgit I agree! They seem to be spending a lot more time on their little skits and a lot less time testing cars.

This episode only reviewed 2 cars and one of them didn?t even get driven by the Stig! (I guess you could stretch it and call the Cadillac/Saab a review but they never even said the name of it!! It?s not the CTS, what was it?)

That is not the way the show used to be...
TG 14/5/06 - aaflyer
Is it just me that finds JC and Richard Hammond's habit of sucking air through their teeth / mouth really loudly at the start of every sentence really annoying...!?

Thought last night's bit on drugs during the discussion was just a desperate attempt by JC and RH to look 'cool'; James May at least had the sense to remain (almost) quiet during it... And as for that radio section and the drivel that passed as a review of the Chrysler/Saab...
TG 14/5/06 - Hamsafar
Yes the pace of the show seems slower in this series and it is padded out with nonsense, it should be edited down to a 30 minute show as there is only 30 mins of usable footage.
TG 14/5/06 - David Horn
Not sure how much longer James May is going to last, he doesn't seem to do anything now and is outranked by Top Gear Dog.
Top Gear Dog has neater hair too! Actually I think James May is the best of them but his sensible mild manner of speaking when describing things doesn't fit in well with the show's ongoing 'in your face' attitude and the other presenter's quirky ways of speaking and phrasing what they say.
TG 14/5/06 - oldgit
Personally, I don't want to see any more high performance cars screeching around a track with smoking wheels and doing doughnuts here and there. It becomes very tedious after a while and serves no purpose at all other than to give JC et.al. an adrenaline kick.
I hate being so disparaging about a show that I used to look forward, all week, to watching. My expectations now seem to be crushed now when the actuality happens - if that makes sense.
TG 14/5/06 - Adam {P}
>>best of them but his sensible mild manner of speaking when describing things doesn't fit in well with the show's ongoing 'in your face' attitude and the other presenter's quirky ways of speaking and phrasing what they say.<<

Even though he calls people a c*** all the time?

I actually unintentionally caught it last night. It was a load of crap to be fair but I still watched it all. I didn't actually find the Radio Station bit that bad. Funny yes. Motoring related....sort of.

Not the best one by a long way but it was something to do for an hour.
Hi Adam - I must have missed the swearing by James, he was probably outdone by GR! I am a bit hard of hearing too. I still think that James is the nearest to 'Normal' in the asylum!
TG 14/5/06 - Adam {P}
Don't get me wrong - I don't mind swearing....in the right circumstances obviously. Quite expressive if you ask me - but I think May swears all the time to try and sound "cool".

I don't rate the man much to be honest.
TG 14/5/06 - stevied
He calls people a c***? Which three stars are you using there? : )

Top Gear is TV for 11 year old boys. I can understand it's appeal, heaven knows I am not the maturest of folk, but as an adult (of sorts) it just bores me.

I like driving fast, and I like nice cars. I just want SOMEBODY to approach the subject in an interesting, adult way.

We need that Scottish professor who does the history programmes: he's a great blend of cool and geek. Gool? Ceek?
TG 14/5/06 - Adam {P}
Ceek. Gool sounds too much like Goul. (Which may be right for all I know)

I'm trying very hard not to faul foul of the rules. But the word ends in K! Not the one you're thinking of!

(Nothing like a bit of childish humour to make me giggle ;-))
He calls people a c***?

IIRC, he's only mentioned the word a couple of times - of which were when JC was driving somethingorother and JM & RH were using alternative transport to race JC; rather than calling people it. To quote JM "permission to say cock on the BBC"
TG 14/5/06 - Adam {P}
I went through all that trouble and I could have just said the word on here?!
Yes, but don't get making a habit of it ;o)
TG 14/5/06 - Stuartli
As I was watching on a mono speaker TV at the time (not very good sound) I thought I misheard...
TG 14/5/06 - CTG Drew
What I find most disturbing of all about the changes is they come one year after they started showing Top Gear ?clip shows? on Discovery Channel in the USA. Now I see this show going in a direction I never dreamed of? ?REALITY?!!! I can?t think of anything that makes me to vomit more!

I don?t know if you guys get the show called ?American Chopper? where the Tuttle?s, a father and 2 sons build motorcycles. And the show is reality based meaning it follows the relationships, fights, jokes, etc of the cast as much or more than it does them actually building bikes!

I see Top Gear becoming more about the silly antics between the cast than it is about testing cars! If this show goes down that road much further it will truly become rubbish!!
TG 14/5/06 - Adam {P}
Dad and I have started watching American Chopper.

He hates choppers and like "proper bikes" and I don't really like bikes full stop but that program is hilarious. Mikey always chimes in with funny stuff but watching the arguments between the Paul Snr and Jnr is the best bit!

I don't really care about the bikes - the fights are great!
TG 14/5/06 - CTG Drew
Yeah well it may work for "American Chopper" but I would hate to see Top Gear turn into that kind of show. Which so far this season it has in many ways.

JC is just not likeable enough. And you could say the same about Paul Sr. etc. but at least Paul senior shows a human side every once in a while. I don?t think JC has a human side! And even if he does I don?t want to see it!! lol

Plus I'm so sick of that reality theme. Another good show "Myth Busters" is starting to go that way to!! Can?t anyone just make a normal TV show anymore?!?

That?s why The Office was so great. It was ?fake reality?!
TG 14/5/06 - David Horn
Are you sure that song's from The Rock soundtrack? I've just
worked my way through the previews on Amazon and can't hear
it on any track>>
It is part of the general soundtrack and not an individual
track by an artist.
Yes i'm sure!

Well, The Rock soundtrack CD turned up today from an Amazon seller - but it doesn't actually have the track I was after on it.

The good news is that I managed to get hold of it in the end from AllOfMP3.com (yeah, I feel a bit guilty but I didn't want to spend 12 pounds on it). It's from the soundtrack to "Man on Fire", final track, starts at 8 minutes something.
Stig's lap time in the Liana - pdc {P}
My Sky box stopped recording just as they were about to reveal what The Stigs time in the Susuki was.

Where did he come?
Stig's lap time in the Liana - JH
Top, where else, beating Nigel Mansell by 0.4 secs if I recall correctly and Ellen MacArthur by 2.3 I think. But then he does know the track and al of the short cuts!

JH
Stig's lap time in the Liana - Dynamic Dave
Where did he come?

It's mentioned on the BBC TopGear website

1m 44.4

www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/old_celeblaps.shtml
TG 21/05/06 - pdc {P}
Is it sad to feel a slight sense of excitement seeing them drive through your home town (Newcastle under Lyme) in cars converted to amphibious vehicles?

Thought the choice of the use of The Dambusters Theme was a bit disrespectful though.
TG 21/05/06 - blue_haddock
Is it sad to feel a slight sense of excitement seeing
them drive through your home town (Newcastle under Lyme) in cars
converted to amphibious vehicles?

Actually i felt the same as they drove along Cobridge Road (i live behind Ken Jervis Kia) and stopped by one of the speed camera's.
TG 21/05/06 - Round The Bend
Better one this week. Very little to do with motoring but so what?
Dambusters disrespectful? Are n't we getting a little too sensitive?
_______
IanS
TG 21/05/06 - Stuartli
The logistics of organising the amphibious stunt must have been daunting, as with most of the others achieved during the various series.
TG 21/05/06 - Altea Ego
No way was that a reservoir. No water company would allow vehicles into the water.

Last nights prog was a real pain in the posterior. I now have to clean the leather sofa. I was laughing so much at the welding fiasco on the front of the toybota, the fact the fire wouldnt go out was the final straw and I spilt my Rioja over the sofa.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TG 21/05/06 - Dynamic Dave
Several thoughts spring to mind, regarding the amphi challenge.

1. Were the cars still road legal with all the doors welded up?
2. Was JC's Toybota legal with that dirty great Honda engine hanging off the back end?
3. How did RH's dampervan pass it's emmision test?
4. Who pays the cleanup bill for polluting the reservior with diesel, petrol and engine oil from the upturned Toybota & sunken dampervan?
TG 21/05/06 - mare
2. Was JC's Toybota legal with that dirty great Honda engine
hanging off the back end?

You'd thought that he would have tied a dirty rag to the end of it at least :)
TG 21/05/06 - Nsar
Saw that the programme was on, but simply didn't switch it on. I used to like it, but it seems a shame that for an industry/interest where there is so much to talk about that they are simply repeating ideas like the celeb in a dull car that they were running 4 years ago.
they are simply repeating ideas like the celeb in a dull car that they were running 4 years ago.

could have sworn last nights guest (Philip Glenister) had been on before, but looking through the list of the old celeb laps (www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/old_celeblaps.shtml) it would appear not.

What it could really do with is some more "professional" drivers trying to outdo The Stig's time. Some touring car drivers, or rally drivers for instance. Yes, I know they've already let a couple of F1 drivers (past and present) have a go, so although not a new idea, it might make the feature a bit more interesting, of which last nights guest certainly wasn't.
TG 21/05/06 - tanvir
could have sworn last nights guest (Philip Glenister) had been on before,

I think you're thinking of 'Petrolheads'. He was on there
I think you're thinking of 'Petrolheads'. He was on there

Now you come to mention it, that was where I last saw him. Like a lot of the guests on these type of shows, they all do the rounds and pop up on similar shows.
TG 21/05/06 - Stuartli
>>they all do the rounds and pop up on similar shows.>>

Probably due to one particular TV production company making similar types of programmes.

TG 21/05/06 - No FM2R
>>Probably due to one particular TV production company making similar types of programmes.

Actually no. Usually due to the "star" having something to publicise and therefore being touted around all the shows of the moment by a publicity agent.
Actually no. Usually due to the "star" having something to publicise

In the case of Philip Glenister, the recent release of the 1st series of Life on Mars## on DVD.

## The cop show with all the incorrect cars (motoring link) for the year it was supposed to be filmed in.
TG 21/05/06 - Lud
I saw the second half of last night's TG and thought it the carpiest ever. I think the new modestly priced car looks a bit quicker than the old one, but apart from that what on earth were they playing at?

Pratting around in grotesquely modified collapsing vehicles can't seem much fun even to such jaded characters. And I couldn't help feeling we were being insulted a bit: that is how well-connected motoring hacks (not HJ though I sincerely hope) see the rest of us.

I may stop watching TG if they continue fooling about in this way.
TG 21/05/06 - oldgit
I saw the second half of last night's TG and thought
it the carpiest ever. I think the new modestly priced car
looks a bit quicker than the old one, but apart from
that what on earth were they playing at?
Pratting around in grotesquely modified collapsing vehicles can't seem much fun
even to such jaded characters. And I couldn't help feeling we
were being insulted a bit: that is how well-connected motoring hacks
(not HJ though I sincerely hope) see the rest of us.
I may stop watching TG if they continue fooling about in
this way.

So might I, but how do I do this without losing credibility with my partner as I've always shown such loyalty to TG in the past.

Nowadays, however, it is going nowhere very fast, hilarious though some sketches may be. The latter could be the subject of another show entirely.
TG 21/05/06 - apm
I have to buck the trend- I really enjoyed TG last night. I tend to look less on it as a motoring programme, but more in the ken of a car-related 'last of the summer wine' type of thing, with three lovable (hmmm...) eccentrics messing around to kill time until they die (or get axed by the beeb to make way for 'strictly ready steady changing location on ice from hell'). The amphibious thing had me in stitches, especially JC's burning bull bars. When JC & Hammond capsized the Toybota, I nearly spat food all over the screen!! It's not a serious motoring prog- they don't test 'normal' cars, they zoom around in supercars and do silly things. Great way to end the weekend, if you ask me.

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
TG 21/05/06 - Lud
Zooming around in supercars, OK up to a point. Doing silly things, not. Do they imagine we can't do silly things for ourselves, as often as not unintentionally? Of course not. It's patronising tosh, and they're in danger of losing it definitively.
TG 21/05/06 - No FM2R
Loved it. One of the most entertaining I've seen for a while.

Of course if I didn't like it I wouldn't watch it. I don't understand why all you lot who hate it insist on watching it and then talking about how much you hate it. Kind of like Mary Whitehouse's approach to TV obscenity really.
TG 21/05/06 - jonno
Loved it. One of the most entertaining I've seen for a
while.
Of course if I didn't like it I wouldn't watch it.
I don't understand why all you lot who hate it insist
on watching it and then talking about how much you hate
it. Kind of like Mary Whitehouse's approach to TV obscenity really.

Completely agree. It's a light entertainment programme with a motoring theme, not the consumer-oriented motoring magazine show it once was, and it's all the better for it IMO. Fifth Gear tries to do a bit of both and ends up being no good at either.
TG 21/05/06 - Stuartli
Top Gear. Normally very funny, occasionally hilarious, sometimes sheer brilliance.

Just be thankful that at least one TV motoring programme has some spark of originality.

But, as they say, you can please some of the people some of the time etc...:-)
TG 21/05/06 - David Horn
Just downloaded this today after forgetting about it yesterday, and it's been one of those few occasions where I've laughed pretty much the whole way through the show.

Practically wet myself (sorry) when Clarkson capsized the Hilux at the end.

10/10
TG 21/05/06 - bell boy
well i enjoyed it,and i see cars everyday in my job so its nice to see people messing about without bean counters saying "you cant do that".
its light entertainment.................guys/gals nothing more nothing less
TG 21/05/06 - Citroënian {P}
I watch pretty much anything with cars in it on TV - even tape Vroom x2 and Sky+ through it looking for good bits.

The thing common to them all is that Mrs Citroënian hates them all and won't watch them. Much like me with 'ER'.

However

We both watch Top Gear. Last night's was very, very good, she even laughed at the capsized HiLux (I was howling with laughter at this point!).

It's good entertainment. For me, it's a huge bonus that it's also about cars.

Top marks to TG, great TV, with David and his 10/10
Lee -- There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1
TG 21/05/06 - Imagos
In the case of Philip Glenister, the recent release of the 1st series of Life on Mars## on DVD.

## The cop show with all the incorrect cars (motoring link) for the year it was supposed to be filmed in.

Correct, an astonishing continuity error as Clarkson gleefully pointed out.

Anyway this alledged 'star' is really a nobody.

Quite hilarious watching them trade insults.

JG 'Cortina was a cut and shut'

Alleged Star 'who cares?' (something like that)

Well WE care actually!