What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - Greg R
Hi

I am looking for a very good car for my dad and I found a Honda Legend as below in the autotrader. My question is, it is worth the money. My dad wants to use the car a lot and would like reliability. What are the problems this car might encounter?

Based on HJ's advice about young but higher mileage, is this too many miles.

'1999 V Reg HONDA Legend 3.5 V6
4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 98,000 miles, Metallic green with full beige leather trim, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Climate control, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Foglights, Electrically adjustable seats, Heated seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Side airbags, Radio/CD Multichanger, Full service history.Insurance Group:17, £5,490.'

Many thanks in advance.

Gregory
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - massey
Seems a bit pricy

From Autotrader site:

Honda Legend (96-03) Saloon 3.5 4dr
Saloon 4dr
1999-V
Mileage 90,000

Honda's third attempt to take on Europe's best executives fails. Refined engines and masses of toys do not compensate for poor ride and image. Extremely expensive when new, its value plummets like a stone, making it a great used buy - if you can find one.

Auto ?boxes can fail and repairs costs may equal car?s worth. Warped discs are common. Suspension problems can be expensive to fix

Prices

Dealer £6,045

Private £4,795

Part Ex £4,345

Trade £4,095
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - Falkirk Bairn
It might be a £5000 car but if something big goes it could be expensive as originally it was a £30K car. Same story as an old Lexus, Toyota Camry etc

Jason Dawe did an article in a well known Sunday paper on it about 1 year ago and was impressed but stated finding one would be the difficult part - apparently Honda UK sold less than 20 new ones in 2002 or possibly 2003 - sells by the shed load in other parts of the world.
Am I better off going for a Lexus. Would it be a more reliable and cheaper to run than the Honda?

The two owner thing makes me a bit wary with this car.
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - boxsterboy
The two owner thing makes me a bit wary with this
car.

Eh? 2 owners in 7 years is surely a good sign.

Any car of this age and complexity will be difficult/expensive/both to repair, wherever it originates from.
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - MichaelR
I thought the whole point in these cars was that the fact they were cheap made up for the nasty interior (Its nasty, plastic-fantastic, lots of kit but still nasty) and soggy handling.

At £5.5k its not cheap. You could buy a V reg E39 BMW 5 Series for that, a better car in every possible way.
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - mike hannon
If you've ever actually owned a Legend you will know the answer has to be 'buy it, be sensible and stomach the servicing costs - and enjoy'.
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - Aprilia
I thought the whole point in these cars was that the
fact they were cheap made up for the nasty interior (Its
nasty, plastic-fantastic, lots of kit but still nasty) and soggy handling.
At £5.5k its not cheap. You could buy a V reg
E39 BMW 5 Series for that, a better car in every
possible way.

Clearly you've never driven a Legend.
You are correct, I've simply had a ride in one. It was... a big comfy wallowy barge with a cheap feeling interior.

As for not paying for a badge, I agree to an extent but at this sort of money you don't pay extra for a badge if you chose an Audi A6 or BMW 5 Series - they cost about the same!

Surely you are not going to try and argue that a Honda Legend is equal or better to BMW's 5 Series and Audi's A6? I was under the impression that despite trying for years to equal these cars Honda never managed and this was only partly due to the Honda badge..
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Bought new and one owner change in 7 years! No problem there IMHO.
Thanks for everyones reply.

I think that BMW's are good cars, although they are over rated. The reliability is a big issue for me.

I think the Legend is a brilliant car...it has such a brilliant spec. And I won't be paying for the badge!!!!

What price should I try to get this car for. If immaculate and well services, they should be able to go on and on!!!!
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - Sprice
Have a BMW and a car like everyone else, or the much better lLegend and something a bit different.
Excellent cars. Excellent engine and pretty good handling too - high levels of comfort.
Check the autobox - see if it rattles when shifting from R-N when cold (sluggish reverse servo).

I reckon if its good then think about £5k as a fair price.
I would get it checked by RAC etc unless you really know your way around cars.
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - helicopter
I drive a company Legend when I'm in the Middle East where fuel is around 11 p per litre.

I would buy one in the UK if the fuel costs were less.Luxury barge with legendary Honda reliability.

The only thing I do not like is the foot operated parking brake .

Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - type's'
11p a litre !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic
How the other half live eh !!!
Oh yeh - and for what it is worth I think the Legend would be a good buy and should last for at least double the mileage with all the proper oil changes. Just seen a 2000 legend with 167K miles for sale @ £5K on autotrader.
Oh yeh - and for what it is worth I think
the Legend would be a good buy and should last for
at least double the mileage with all the proper oil changes.
Just seen a 2000 legend with 167K miles for sale @
£5K on autotrader.

And you think thats a good buy? These are astronomical prices for what is simply a big Honda. I wouldn't pay £5k for a 2000 523i SE with 170k on it let alone a plastic Honda.
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - nutty_nissan
Legends are nice, but even nicer is a Lexus LS400. Test drive both cars, and you will realise the difference is massive.
Legends are nice, but even nicer is a Lexus LS400. Test
drive both cars, and you will realise the difference is massive.

Yes, the LS400 is a truly lovely car. Snag is it is likely to cost more to buy and to run than the Legend.
MichaelR - clearly a badge snob that cannot appreciate how well a Honda is engineered - Of all the reviews I read anywhere nobody has ever described a Honda as plastic - you are showing a little naivity here. This is a Company that prides itself on Durability and the expertise of it's Engineering - it is probably one of the few auto companies left in the world run by engineers and not by accountants and marketing men.
As someone who can see past the badge I agree that BMW's are also well engineered but not as reliable as Honda. This car will do at least double it's current mileage with correct servicing - if not more.

I have also checked a couple of valuation guides and they are listing between £4.5K for a private sale and £5.7K for dealer - so the car is priced about right - according to the people who know what they are talking about - the professionals !!!!

Me? A badge snob? I drive a Ford, I'd hardly do that if I was a badge snob.

I don't doubt the Legend is a lovely car - and at half the price they appear to command, it would be very difficult to say no. But at £5k the price is simply TOO close to the BMW and Audi alternatives to make the car worthy of consideration, sorry.

And Aprilia, do you really think the interior of the Legend can be described as anything other than plastic? It suffers the same thing which affects virtually all Jap cars designed in the early-mid 90's - an awful interior. All the toys are there, all the options are there, but it just doesn't feel the same as a nice BMW or Audi.

£2.5k for a V reg Legend? Now you are talking. But at £5k? Don't be daft, you can do better.

I've got nothing against Japanese cars - we own one (complete with plastic interior) - and I'm not a badge snob - I drive a Ford - but £5k buys better cars than Honda Legends.
let alone
a plastic Honda.

Inane comment.
I agree although I do not want to be disrespectful to MichealR - I was merley pointing out that I viewed a Legend of similar price and 167K on the clock - I do actually think this is overpriced and the Greg R Honda is priced about correct.

I have driven a number of 5 series and they are fantastic cars - particulalry their handling - but Greg R is looking for reliability and a bit of luxury for his dad - hence the Legend will be the choice with this criteria.

I understand Honda are going to sell the new one in the UK soon as well. They do not expect it to sell in great numbers like it does in other countries as we do have alot of Company Car badge snobs in the UK but it will be full of toys including their SHAWD.

No dount it will be a little more than £5K as well.
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - henry k
It might be a £5000 car but if something big goes it could be expensive

>>
Or something small?
- apparently Honda UK sold less than 20 new ones in 2002 or possibly 2003

>>
Which points to another concern.
With such low numbers sold in the UK, I would expect few spares to be stocked so would it be a case of waiting for parts to be flown in?
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - nutty_nissan
Greg,

One piece of advice. Since Legends are normally hard to shift (as they are a bit of an unknown quantity in the UK), don't pay full price. For the money though, it's a cracking car for YOUR dad's requirements. He can waft around in total comfort. Ah, like Aprilia says, do get it inspected.

To those who have been going on about German cars in this thread, I chose not to get a 5 series/E class as their specification seemed so spartan compared with Jap models. No electric seats as standard!!!! Not exactly luxurious!!
Honda Legend...is it a good buy? - Granny
For that money you could buy an 02 Volvo S60 with all the toys.

Much more modern car though probably nothing in it reliability wise.

Or what about a less prestige model such as a nice Passat V5.