What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Yaris disks - strange rusting. - henry k
Yaris passed the MoT OK very recently but with a prompt to look at one of the front disks.

The O/S front disk has the usual small crust of rust around the very outside edge of the face on the outside.
On the inside face it has about half an inch of very slight pitting and rusty area all around the edge.
There does not appear to be a gradual change from clean to damaged area.

It is not the usual surface rust from wet disks left standing as seen after it is washed.

Any suggestions how this has come about etc.?
It is almost as if the inside pad is smaller than the outside pad.
Yaris disks - strange rusting. - fossyant
We have a five and a half year old yaris (from new - fab cars)- from what you say, I'd think you need new disks and pads on the front especially as you say one of the disks has become slightly pitted along a small area. Either the pads are shot and/or the disks are worn/warped causing the pad not to come into full contact on one side.

Brakeparts.co.uk do OEM quality disks and pads for very reasonable prices.
Yaris disks - strange rusting. - madf
Is one of the drivers a gentle one with short journeys? If so disks don't dru out on short journeys, garged wet and rust. gentle braking does not remove it.. and so on.

SWMBO's 106 had same problems until I drove it once a week:-)
madf
Yaris disks - strange rusting. - henry k
Is one of the drivers a gentle one with short journeys? If so disks don't dru out on short journeys, garged wet and rust. gentle braking does not remove it.. and so on.

>>
I am the sole / gentle driver. I have been looking after the Yaris for my offspring. It gets a decent run etc about once a week to get it hot.

Pads have lots left on them.
The rusting is on one face of one disk only
Yaris disks - strange rusting. - Bill Payer
Once the rust sets in then it tends to wear the pad away, so the pad is touching an ever decreasing part of the disk as the rust creeps across the disk. A certain size band will always clean up after the car has been used for a while, largely dependant on how heavily the brakes are used.
We had a 106 a few yrs ago where all the braking was being done on about a half inch section of the disk. It tends to be a bit more obvious these days as with alloy wheels fitted you can generally see the disks, where you couldn't with steel wheels & plastic trims.
Yaris disks - strange rusting. - Andy P
So there you have it - alloy wheels are a safety feature...you can inspect your brakes without removing the wheels! :-)
Yaris disks - strange rusting. - Andrew-T
"Pads have lots left on them. The rusting is on one face of one disk only"

As well as pads and disks, the two sides of the caliper must have some freedom to move as the parts wear. After 5 years it is likely that the caliper and guide pins need freeing up. It might be possible to have irregular disks skimmed flat if they are still thick enough, but that might cost as much as new disks.
Yaris disks - strange rusting. - Civic8
>>After 5 years it is likely that the caliper and guide pins need freeing up. It might be possible to have irregular disks skimmed flat if they are still thick enough, but that might cost as much as new disks.

I would agree, certainly sounds like caliper fault
--
Steve