What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
choosing a small car (up to £1800) - philpalmer100
I'm looking for a replacement for my old trusty Subaru Justy.
It is got to be about a R/S/T reg up to £1800

My choices are :

1.3 Justy (my other one has been brill - if a little agricultural)
1.3 Micra
1.3/1.4 Polo
1.4 Golf (maybe a bit big)
1.1/1.3/1.6 106
or
1.1/1.4 Saxo

I think that is my list to consider.
Does anyone have any views? or alternatives I should be looking at. The only prerequisites are that it must have 5 doors and be relatively cheap to insure. The Justy is useful for one main reason and that is that we live on the edge of Dartmoor and the 4wd mode has been very good when it has been icy.

I think the Justy/Polo and 106 are my main considerations. I also like the 206 but it's a bit new for my budget.

Many thanks

Phil
choosing a small car (up to £1800) - Xileno {P}
I would forget the 106, it's a very old design now first seeing light of day in 1991.

My choice would be the Polo - good Spanish build quality, strong image, pretty good reliability. Watch for rust on doors and rear valence. Hall senders can play up around the 100K mark.
choosing a small car (up to £1800) - Mapmaker
panda 4x4? Do lada still make a small 4x4?
choosing a small car (up to £1800) - Sprice
Not sure what sort of money they make second hand, but how about a Suzuki Jimny?
choosing a small car (up to £1800) - y2k+4
Well...I think I'd consider:

Renault Megane 1.6e RT/RXE
Renault Clio 1.4
SEAT Ibiza/Corboda 1.4 (the latter would be cheaper)
Peugeot 306 DT

Of your list, I guess I'd have the Polo, cause at the very least it won't lose much value. (though, arguably none will at this price)
choosing a small car (up to £1800) - y2k+4
Oooh. Another notable thought! Rover 200's. You should be able to get one of the last 200's with any engine and good spec for this price.