What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - Rodger
Last weekend i had a short test drive in an 05 Mondeo 2.0LX petrol auto. It meets all my needs and at £8k ish is real value.
But has the auto box been fixed? HJ identified the problem in "car-by-car"and others refer to it but has Ford done anything to later models that will make it last beyond 60/70 k?
Is the auto diesel a better bet?
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - nutty_nissan
No. I drove the TDCI 130 manual 2005 model, and it was amazing between 60 and 90, but pretty flat performance around town at low revs. Would imagine an autobox would make things worse.
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - Bill Payer
I had an auto TDCi on test for a few days, but it was at least a couple of yrs ago, so the 'box might be better now.

It was *very* slow to pick up from rest - in the end I was spooling the engine up and holding it on the brake. It then took off furiously. Thankfully, it being an auto, I could cling on the wheel with both hands.

On the move, I'd say it was fine - the auto box does cover up the cars narrow torque band by shifting gear itself when it needs to. The 'tiptronic' overide is very easy to use.

The economy takes a bit hit though, and unless you do a lot of miles, especially long steady motorway journeys, then I would imagine that the diesel auto would never pay for itself. Plus there aren't many around, so the price would probably be exaggerated over a Mondeo petrol auto (compared to the normal petrol/TDCi price difference).
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - cheddar
I have not driven the "tiptronic" type auto TDCi (Durashift) though have heard good things about it, it is a lot less economical than a manual though. I have a friend with a 2001 2.0 petrol auto and that is fine, not sure how many miles it has done. "Narrow torque band", perhaps it felt that way in the auto though the manual pulls from 1000, pulls like a train from 1500 and runs crisply to 4500, narrow torque band my foot!
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - fray bentos
Hey Rodger,that was a good price. Was that a Ford Direct car with about 12000 miles,? there seems to be loads.Mind you my local dealer wants £11k for one of his forecourt cars not in the ford direct programme,go figure!
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - MichaelR
Hey Rodger,that was a good price. Was that a Ford Direct
car with about 12000 miles,? there seems to be loads.Mind you
my local dealer wants £11k for one of his forecourt cars
not in the ford direct programme,go figure!

My local dealer is charging more for 1 year old used Mondeos than you can buy them for brand new via Broadspeed.com.

Useful.

'So would you like to buy this ST220 then sir? Bargain at £17999 dont you think?'

Err no.
Hi fray bentos, well this car was £8999 and only 7000 on the clock. Immaculate inside and out, Metallic black.It was in a small independent dealer in Harrogate(andrews autoparks, they have a web site)
I used £8k in my post as an average price. Motorpoint are selling 13000 milers at £7000!! I think other supermarkets are about the same. There seem to be dozens of this spec out there.Try doing a search on the Autotrader site. It is the easiest way of seeing what is out there, register and you can search in more detail.

back to the Mondeo auto. The only thing i did not like about the car was the way the brake pedal is about 3inches higher than the accelerator. To brake i had to lift my whole leg off the accelerator and then onto the brake. I have never driven any car where this was so pronounced and i think it would be VERY uncomfortable. Is it a Ford thing, anyone else notice it??
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - henry k
But has the auto box been fixed? HJ identified the problem
in "car-by-car" and others refer to it but has Ford done anything
to later models that will make it last beyond 60/70 k?

>>
I am keeping my fingers crossed. My 98 2.0 auto hits 100K this month.
I have done 20k in it but have no info on its previous life.
I treat it gently but urban fuel consuption is about 27mpg.
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - machika
I treat it gently but urban fuel consuption is about 27mpg.

>>

I would think that is a lot better than the manufacturer would claim for it. A diesel auto wouldn't do much better in urban driving.
Mondeo Auto,latest view. - colinh
Wait for the Ford DSG!

"Ford of Europe Puts Dual Clutch Transmissions Into High Gear
By: Mike Thomas | Ford Communications Network

DEARBORN, Feb. 13, 2006 -- At last year's Frankfurt International Motor Show, Ford of Europe and its 50/50 joint venture transmission manufacturer, GETRAG-Ford, demonstrated the innovative Powershift System, a six-speed dual clutch transmission.

...the GETRAG-Ford Powershift System promises fuel savings of a solid rate of around 10 percent over an automatic transmission; in other words, the same as a manual transmission.

"We are in the prototype stage," Koch said. "A first generation Powershift in production vehicles is approximately two years away. The Powershift will likely first appear in such vehicles as the top versions of Ford's European C-and CD car architecture."
I tried the DSG in a 2.0tdi Altea. Fabulous, one constant surge of power. A bit shunty at town speed and the Altea not for me. I guess my ideal car would be a Passat with DSG/Tdi. Too pricey for me, need a couple of years depreciation first.

Thanks for input so far, anyone with more info on the Mondeo petrol autobox lifespan? Obviously some will do 100k.