Extracting pure water from coolant syste - MapReader
Today my car over heated - unfortunately it was bone dry. I know, it was all my own fault, nothing wrong with the car at all. I've learnt my lesson.

So, a very helpful person came along and topped my coolant system up with water. Very kind of him, however he filled it right up, leaving no space to add anti-freeze.

Has anybody got any easy methods I could use to extract about a litre of water? I am not technically minded at all and only have limited tools.

It's a Ford Fiesta 1.3, year 2000.

Thanks in advance.

Extracting pure water from coolant syste - bell boy
take the pipe off the expansion bottle,if all coolant lost ,how?why?and what have you done to rectify the fault?
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Extracting pure water from coolant syste - Dynamic Dave
As the sytem was dry, you need to really make sure the car has at least a 30% (50% preferably) mix of antifreeze / water in it.

Removing a litre of water, to then top back up with antifreeze isn't enough.

Suggest you remove the bottom hose from the radiator to drain as much of the system down, then consult your handbook to find out what capacity your cooling system is. Divide that figure by two and put that amount of antifreeze in, then top up to the required level with water.

However, if the system was dry, it would indicate you've got a leak somewhere - which needs investigation.
Extracting pure water from coolant syste - MapReader
Thanks for your speedy replies. I realise the car needs some attention, however it's sat on my drive with zero anti-freeze and the weather forecast says -3 tonight, and I've got no garage to put it in. My initial query was to ensure it had some protection for tonight at the very least. Is it alright to leave it for tonight without anti-freeze?
Extracting pure water from coolant syste - bell boy
no do as i suggested and then run the engine for 10 secs to get a little more out, put the hose back on fill up the bottle and then run again if you can so that the mix circulates the engine/rediator/heater matrix.ok?
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Extracting pure water from coolant syste - markengland
Another easy way is to undo the bleed screw at the bottom corner of the radiator, you don't need to remove it completely, just enough until the water starts to drain. Have a washing up bowl or similar underneath to catch the fluid. Replace the screw so its tight then just top up with anti-freeze through the expansion bottle until its up to the maximum line. I used all of a 1-litre bottle of antifreeze in my 96 Fiesta. Run the engine for 5-10 minutes, allow the system to cool then top up if necessary.
Extracting pure water from coolant syste - henry k
I am not technically minded at all and only have limited tools.

Rather than attempt doing the anti-freeze bit can you get mains power to it.
If so consider putting some insulation, blankets, an old duvet a tarpaulin, etc over the bonnet and a heat source under the engine. Probably an inspection lamp would be enough heat.
You can then get it sorted out more easily in the morning.