What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Getting Spare Keys for Honda Civic - mqcgyver
Hi there,
I recently bought a second hand Honda civic 1.4i S 2000 V model. I was given only one key with the car and a remote knob attached to the keyring. I was wondering how to get a second key for it?
Can I just get the key cut by a key maker or do I need to go to the dealer? It might be quite costly if I go to the dealer. But m question is, is the key programmed so as to make sure that it can be ordered only from the dealer? How costly would it be?
Many thanks
Getting Spare Keys for Honda Civic - Dave N
You can get blank keys on ebay. They have a transponder in them, so will still need programming by the dealer. Various other locksmith/auto electricians advertise the service, but usually only on the common stuff.

Probably just easier to get the dealer to do the whole lot. Last time I checked it was about £100 all in.
Getting Spare Keys for Honda Civic - Armitage Shanks {p}
These people may help

www.autolocksmiths.net

Getting Spare Keys for Honda Civic - Falkirk Bairn
When the car was new it would come with 2 x Black Keys, 1 x remote ( which only works from a few feet away & is a bind to use) and 1 x RED "Master Key" which is used to produce additional keys and cannot be used to start the car.