What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
protecting new car - BeeBee
Hello everyone!

Well, I now have my shiny new Honda Civic, I'm completely over the moon with it, and I'm wondering, if there's anything I should be doing to keep it corrosion free, etc.?

I went for a paint sealant option at the dealership. Some people will probably argue that it was an expensive option, but I shopped around, compared it with prices that other valeters were offering and I deemed it to be a competitive price, so I went for it. They sealed the exterior paint and the vinyl and carpet surfaces inside the car before I took delivery. I honestly can't tell if it's made a difference, but I do notice that the rain goes up into beads nicely, so I'm assuming it's doing its job.

Is there anything else that I should be doing, while it's still reasonably clean and rust free? Any protection that I should apply in the engine bay? Such as applying vasoline on battery contacts or WD40 in the engine bay (and if so, I've absolutely no idea where, or if this would actually harm electrics)...

Also, are products that claim to keep windows free of moisture worth applying, or are they just gimmicks?

There's one thing I already noticed today, which was pretty much the first time I saw the car in daylight since collecting it from the dealership, and that is that the brake discs visible through the alloys are quite rusty. Is that just because they've never been used and will it be cleared off by the friction of the brakes as they get used? I've never really had a car before with brake discs are quite so visible through the alloys, so if an amount of rust is normal, even when new, then I guess that's fine.

BB
protecting new car - Group B
Also, are products that claim to keep windows free of moisture
worth applying, or are they just gimmicks?

Rain X anti-rain wipes seem to work quite well for a week or so. But do not use them on your windscreen, the wipers don't like it...
protecting new car - Altea Ego
Do nothing. The car when it comes out the factory is protected and it wil be super for 10 years. Just make sure you clean it regularly (underneath as well) and attend to any chips or scrapes.

Thde brake disks will go orange with rust 30 mins after you stop if its wet outside. Its normal and rubs off with the first use of brakes.

Keep wax and any other mosture repelant rubbish off your windscreen or it will ruin it.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
protecting new car - nick
I agree with TVM. Do nothing. Modern paints don't need polishing, just do it if you like to see the water beading. Just make sure you touch up any stone chips immediately.
protecting new car - BeeBee
Well, that's that settled then. I shall do nothing :-)

I suppose I should pre-emptively get some touch-up paint... come to think of it, I'm surprised it didn't come with any -- even just a small can.

Thanks
BB
protecting new car - turbo11
If your attention to detail is anything like mine then,you could go as far as removing the wheels(if they are alloys)and polish/wax the inside and outside the rims.I have done this on my last two new cars and find its worth the aggro.as it makes it easy to wash off brake dust and road salt.My alloys are two years old and as new.

protecting new car - caesar
Modern paints don't need polishing,

You have got to be kidding.
All cars(i have a new one)need periodic waxing
I have never owned a car that says no need to wax the paintwork in there owners manuals.As far as i know they all advise wax application.
protecting new car - mss1tw
I think it's good you're actually interested in taking care of it.

Sounds like the next owner(s) will get a good car.

Also, I think modern paints are actually softer than old paints as they have to be water based for environmental reasons.
protecting new car - madf
My experience with SWMBO's 1993 Peugeot 106 bought new and still almost perfect bodily and mechanically apart from the odd stone chip and dent.

Under bonnet:
Check all bolts and bare metal nuts etc. Aply a fine coat of waxoyl or heavy oil.
Any aluminium pipes eg air con: waxoyl ones near to salt spray in winter.
(Hose radiator external fins at bottom in spring to rmove salt and dirt).

Waxoyl all exposed bare metal (not disks of course) under car.
Ensure wheel to hubs bearing surfaces are copperslipped to prevent sticking on.
Wax polish car once a year.Use a hard wax or one of the better liquid ones.
Clean windows inside and out ditto with a window cleaner.
Treat all unpainted plastics with a silcone based cleaner (not on paint) ditto.
Grease all locks.

Hose under car wheel arches in winter and spring to remove mud and salt.

Touch up all chips at once.

A clean car runs better than a dirty one:-))

madf
protecting new car - Dynamic Dave
>> Modern paints don't need polishing,

>>
You have got to be kidding.

I was wondering that. Modern paints are water based, and are far more susceptible to damage.

Give it a coat of polish / wax at least once a year to keep it from turning a matt colour.
protecting new car - Altea Ego
Dont need polish, its had a paint sealant.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
True in this case. I wondered when you were going to spot that one Wilson.

However, I still stand by what I said earlier (excluding BeeBee's car) - modern paints are far more susceptible to damage.

That aside, the paint sealant won't last forever.
protecting new car - Aprilia
IMHO paint sealants are a con - you're better off with a bit of Super Resin Polish every few months. Paint sealant is similar stuff and will be degraded after 6 months.

Practically all modern auto paints are water-based acrylics. They seem to chip pretty easy to me and some seem very thin (even on the likes of Mercedes!). Still, there's not much you can do about that. Keep if free of bird droppings though - tends to damage the paint.

To keep it rust free underneath I would suggest getting a cheap 'Karcher Compatible' pressure washer (i.e. one that uses same connectors) and a 3 - 4' lance with right-angle end (these cost about £30) then you blast underneath the car every now and again - especially at the end of a cold spell. This shift all the salt and grit off the underside of the chassis. Do the same under the back arches.
protecting new car - caesar
Must admit im a bit of a car detailing nut.
Ask any car detailer about these paint sealants sold by dealers and see what they have to say about them.
They are about as good as the guarantees you take out when buying any electrical goods - nice money spinner for the sales rep but next to useless.
protecting new car - PhilW
"blast underneath the car every now and again"
A,
Any danger of also removing the underseal? Would the ordinary hosepipe "gun" be better for removing salt and grit? My pressure washer, only a cheap one admittedly, is great for getting stuff off the drive but gives the impression it would remove the paint from a car if held too close!
--
Phil
protecting new car - Aprilia
"blast underneath the car every now and again"
A,
Any danger of also removing the underseal? Would the ordinary hosepipe
"gun" be better for removing salt and grit? My pressure washer,
only a cheap one admittedly, is great for getting stuff off
the drive but gives the impression it would remove the paint
from a car if held too close!
--
Phil

Good point. Adjust the spray nozzle for a wide fan, the pressure per unit area is not too high.
protecting new car - Vansboy
Unfortunatly you've been totally misled.

The standard required procedure of all B'roomers, when accepting ownership of a BRAND NEW vehicle, are to assign the entire weekend (or other rest days) to the immaculate detailing of said veicle.

Kindly ensure you follow the hints n tips in www.meguiars.co.uk & memorise fully, before proceeding.

Then complete the weekly checklist contined within your B'roomers manual (or the makers instruction booklet), for moderators inspction & confirmation.

Failure to do so, will result in your NEW car instantly becoming ano longer NEW car!!

NJOY!!

VB

protecting new car - Navara Van man
Every other weekend (weather depenent) i clean the cars and the van as follows:

Wash with cars and van with car shampoo and spray off salt and mud etc from underneath.

Shake mats and vacume footwels and dash.

Wash van seat covers

Mopp floor inside cargo area of van.

Check oil level and top up screenwash.

This is all I do, regular washing enables me to spot stone damage etc. I have never waxed a car and see no need as carshampoo is suposed to wax.

Paul

protecting new car - L'escargot
In my experience more deterioration of the bodywork is caused these days by carpark bumps than by the weather. So if possible always park where nobody can hit you. If this isn't possible, park such that the maximum amount of your car is protected by walls, hedges etc. Give priority to protection of the front rather than the rear. Avoid parking next to a vehicle that (a) has lots of bodywork damage, (b) is not reasonably in the centre of the slot, (c) has been left with the front wheels significantly turned, (d) has wide doors or (e) is generally uncared for.
--
L\'escargot.
protecting new car - mike hannon
I wouldn't worry about using WD40 under the bonnet if I were you - maybe in about ten years time (as it's a Honda) if you get condensation problems. Honda HT leads etc don't seem to deteriorate as fast as some others.
BTW, I finally saw the new Civic in the metal yesterday. Wow! Lucky you.
protecting new car - Yoby
Yes, where you park makes a lot of difference - just adding to L'escargot's list: park well away from the trolley park in the supermarket and as far away form the entrance as possible. Give vehicles with a tow-ball a wide berth too. Y
protecting new car - J1mbo
And I would strongly suggest that if you get any birds c*ap on the car, wash it off STRAIGHT AWAY. Even if that means going out after dark or whatever, even more so in the warmer months.

Also, wash it with a lambs wool mit, not a sponge as this traps dirt and results in many tiny fine scratches. Don't use Alloy Cleaner unless they are stained or have a rough carbon build up, use shampoo and an old flannel. I also use Turtle Wax Alloy Protector which is a sort of wax.

Afraid I totally disagree with the comments that cars don't need waxing. I can see a massive differance and find the car easier to clean, I use Turtle Extreme Wax and then use Autoglym Super Resin Sealant "over the top".

I always park well away from the shop entrance, you'll notice most other owners with new or "nice" cars do the same, its a sort of club!

Once you have clocked up a few miles (2000 or so), pop back for an oil/filter change and get the fluids checked, keep the receipt.

Enjoy!!
>>> Once you have clocked up a few miles (2000 or so),
pop back for an oil/filter change ....

A few years ago maybe. But with today's modern oils, coupled with better machined parts, changing the oil too early *could* mean that the engine will end up using oil as you haven't given the pistons and cylinders time to bed themselves in.
protecting new car - jacks
In my experience more deterioration of the bodywork is caused these
days by carpark bumps than by the weather. So if possible
always park where nobody can hit you. If this isn't possible,
park such that the maximum amount of your car is protected
by walls, hedges etc. Give priority to protection of the front
rather than the rear. Avoid parking next to a vehicle that
(a) has lots of bodywork damage, (b) is not reasonably in
the centre of the slot, (c) has been left with the
front wheels significantly turned, (d) has wide doors or (e) is
generally uncared for.
--
L\'escargot.

--

Don't park next to any car (in carparks) that has child safety seats in the back - as the owner probably will bring the kids right alongside the door in the buggy and the potential for the buggy to scrape your car whilst manoevering the kids into the car is very high. I try to park next to a well cared for and highly polished Merc/Audi/BMW if possible...........and definately avoid Renault Scenics with "Baby on Board " stickers, builders vans, bangers,....in fact don't even go to the supermarket - order from Tesco@home or whatever it's called !!!!!>>
protecting new car - piggy
In addition to this avoid parking near trolley park,and if car park is sloped park on higher side.Trolleys do not roll uphill.
protecting new car - nick
>> >> Modern paints don't need polishing,
>>
>> You have got to be kidding.
I was wondering that. Modern paints are water based, and are
far more susceptible to damage.
Give it a coat of polish / wax at least once
a year to keep it from turning a matt colour.

I've had a 2000 W plate Legacy for 3 years now and have never polished it. It always comes up like new when I wash it using cheap wash wax bought by the 5 litre. However, I thought there must be something in this polishing lark so I splashed out on some expensive Autoglym polish and did one door. I couldn't honestly see any appreciable difference. So I put the polish away and saved it for use on my cellulose-coated classics which do need polishing as the paint oxidises. Modern paints don't do this. I suspect the cleanliness you get after polishing is more to do with the removal of road film from the top laquer coat.
protecting new car - Roberson
I think there is some confusion over the terms polish and wax. Any car, no matter what it is and how old it is will, most probably, never need polishing it its life as long as its looked after. Once or twice a year (just before and just after winter maybe) give it a good coat of wax, and the chances are, it'll be fine.

To me, polishes are more like paint restorers like T-cut etc, where a small layer of paint is removed, in order to restore its finish.

Unfortunately, the terms are now used so that they can mean either a wax/preserver or a restorer.
protecting new car - 007

Take note of HJ's FAQ No.5.
protecting new car - NVH
I wax the car thoroughly every 6 months.
The bodywork at the moment is very grimy in parts and NO ONE parks next to me in the supermarket, because their clothes might get dirty ;-)
btw.Lights/numberplates/windows etc are spotless
protecting new car - Xileno {P}
Make sure you clean any bird poo off asap.
protecting new car - Nsar
Don't park next to 3 door cars - those big doors need to be swung right out.

Don't park next to chav cars Saxo etc or "bird's cars" Vitaras that kind of thing - driven by airheads.

A wax every now and then has the side benefit (as you apply and rub off) of showing you any stone chips that do need sorting.
protecting new car - lazza
My Civic had supaguard treatment 28 months ago and still comes up like new when washed. Don't bother with waxing until it gets warmer though, and don't do it in direct sunshine! Pick a chip pen up from dealer instead of the big orange car parts shop.