What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Goodbye Focus? - PhiL P
After eight months ownership and 8k miles with my '99 Focus 2.0 Ghia 5-dr I have to say that whilst it's a nice drive I'm rather disappointed.

What I was expecting to be a perfect motor, being the newest car I've bought and one that's very highly rated by the press, it's all been rather an anti-climax. The cause? Build quality. Basically, it sucks. Current problems are knocking from front suspension, a weird ignition glitch which I've mentioned here before, a whiny fifth gear, trim squeaks and rattles, and I'm sure it's getting harder to slot into first gear at rest. As an afterthought I'd also say that the 2.0 Zetec engine is, to say the least, uninspiring, and not in the same league as the 1.4 Zetec-SE that was in my previous Fiesta.

So basically I'm thinking of changing my original plan of keeping the car three years plus and trading it in. For what you ask? Something with reportedly great build quality - a Honda Accord!

Major downside I can see is it's rather drab looks, inside and out. Haven't tried one yet, but planning a test drive over next few days. Hoping to get £7.5k part-ex for the Focus (am I dreaming?) and looking to spend about £8.5k on a similar age ('99) Accord 2.0 in as high-spec trim as possible. Also looking forward to more space (child No.1 due within a month!) and that tasty V-TEC engine! Not sure how the residuals compare...

Question - is this a big mistake?
Re: Goodbye Focus? - Gary S
Can you really put a price on enjoyment? And after all it's only money.
Long time dead and all that...
Re: Goodbye Focus? - Peter M
I seem to remember reading in HJ's book a couple of years ago that Ford were now using the name'Zetec' merely as a model designation, and that the engines weren't Zetec spec. If I've got it wrong perhaps someone could correct me. I agree with the choice of Accord,-I'm hoping to find one later this year when I retire - they're as rare as hens teeth on the secondhand market, people hang on to them!
Regards,
P
Re: Goodbye Focus? - Andy P
I don't think the "perfect motor" exists, and I certainly wouldn't expect it to have a Ford badge on it.

As for the Accord, you'll find it to be one of the best cars in its sector (What Car? Family Car of the Year 1999 and 2000). And as for residuals, it's up there with BMW and VW. I bought a 2000 2.0SE end of last July to replace a Cavalier SRi and I haven't regretted it yet. Everyone who's seen it or been in it has rated it very highly.

Andy
Re: Goodbye Focus? - Honest John
Zetec doesn't mean anything any more. Originally it was used to describe a 1.8 litre twin cam motor that shrunk into a 1.6 and developed into a 2.0. Then the same motor was branded Zetec E, the name Zetec was used as a premium model 'special' (basically an LX with met paint and alloy wheels), then the new 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 engines were branded Zetec S, then they changed the names to Dura-something, which also encompass the iron age pushrod four they are trying to foist on us in the new Fiesta (unbelievable). But used values of most Focus models are very strong so Phil P shouldn't sell his car short.

HJ
Re: Goodbye Focus? - PhiL P
Well thanks for the encouragement HJ, been looking at some valuations online and one site gave a part-ex estimate of £6.3k, will made me feel rather sick after spending £10k on the car a mere eight months ago!

Andy P - do you have the manual or auto box? Intrigued by the number of used 2.0's available that have the sequential auto, but have read in numerous places to avoid it due to a huge gap between 3rd and 4th ratios. Plus it seeems to blunt performance somewhat...
Re: Goodbye Focus? - Martin Wall
You should get a good price for your Focus - what about a Honda Civic or a (new shape only!) Toyota Corolla as a replacement - should be a lot more reliable - and you get a real 3 year warranty - rather than Ford's dealer warranty....
Re: Goodbye Focus? - PhiL P
Would be nice to go for new Civic or Corolla but as I only have £8.5k to play with (and that's dependent on a decent part-ex valuation), combined with my insatiable appetite for as much power under the bonnet and as many toys to play with as possible, I've ruled them out. Unless you know of somewhere selling top-spec Civics at rock bottom prices of course!