Fords with plastic cam belt tensioners - Paul Richards
I note in today`s Telegraph motoring page that H.J. has cited some Ford models with plastic cam belt tensioner wheels. Could somebody please clarify which models are affected, as my daughter is thinking of buying a new Focus TDCi
Re: Fords with plastic cam belt tensioners - Honest John
Ford Zetec S petrol engines have them, but the incidence of failure is very low. Not like the catastrophe on Vauxhalls and FIATs. And in any case your daughter can rest easy with the Focus TDCi because it has a timing chain all the way, rather than the old Ford diesel's part chain part belt arrangement. See car by car breakdown.

HJ
Re: Fords with plastic cam belt tensioners - ladas are slow
and when did fiat start using plastic versions, as my sister STILL has her fiat 127.
Re: Fords with plastic cam belt tensioners - Andy Bairsto
push rod timing chain on 127
Re: Fords with plastic cam belt tensioners - Richard
According to a brochure I have seen, the TDCi engine on the Focus has a cam belt and not a chain. The Mondeo Di and TDCi do however have a chain.
Re: Fords with plastic cam belt tensioners - Honest John
Not on the ohc 1050 Brazil engines. I had one when I lived in Wimbledon and worked in Camden town. Brilliant commutercar. That engine could run on alcohol. Come to think of it, so did I at the time. But I think the plastic tensioners came in with the Bravo/Brava.

HJ