What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Something for the weekend, DW? - Ian Cook
Todays DT motoring section should provide something for David to read, as its blowing a gale and pouring with rain. Two articles dedicated to Landies! Have you got the rear body back on yet, David?

The purpose built series one with a Defender TDi engine sounds interesting, if rather expensive. Registration AFF suggests Merionethshire, 1955 (dad had a Wolseley AFF 152).

Me? I'm putting this wet weekend to good use finishing off SWMBO's new fitted wardrobes.

Ian
Re: Something for the weekend, DW? - Dwight Van-Driver
Note the comments on the durability of the Series 1.
How many of you with all singing, dancing, 4 wheeled puff parlours will be on the road as long?
and.........what about Page 96 of the DT Mag. Honest John hats for sale without
any comment from him. Is he losing his touch????????

DVD
Re: Something for the weekend, DW? - Andy Bairsto
But I do not think I would be wanting to drive a 49 landie as my everyday means of transport
Re: Something for the weekend, DW? - David W
Guys,

Just had a look at the classic Land Rover article.

Not too bad, I wonder how much he got for writing that? Perhaps I should pull together my collected thoughts.

Only daft statement was the bit about them not being found mud plugging and that a newer vehicle would be more suitable for that. Completely the opposite of reality. The Series Land Rover is the true UK off road vehicle and they will absorb abuse that would have you running for the bodyshop with a smart newish 4WD machine. Many of the off-road "nutty boys" use 30yr old Land Rovers.

He is spot on that an immaculate Series 1 ragtop makes a super town machine.

David
Re: Something for the weekend, DW? - ladas are slow
DW you should write a book about (proper) land rovers, alot of the books i have seen talk mostly about the discovery and freelander.

(i am not kidding, if you have enough stuff for a book then go for it)
Re: Something for the weekend, DW? - Richard Hall
I ran a 1956 Landie as daily transport for a while. It had the engine and gearbox from a later vehicle, but the original brakes. The result was that it would cruise at 70 mph on the A1, but took about half a mile to stop from that speed. But I can't think of many vehicles from that era that you could happily use every day without worrying about them either breaking down, getting run into or vandalised, or going rusty.

When you think about the sort of cars that were available in the late 1940s (Ford Popular, Austin Ten etc) the original Land Rover must have seemed an amazing machine, since it was just as quick and comfortable as many new cars. A bit like the Range Rover in 1970. I wonder if the new Defender (next year) will be the same kind of leap forward - somehow I doubt it, if only because ordinary family cars have got so good.