What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1996 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v - fraz
Hi All, I have just purcahsed a Calibra and have a few Q's:

1, the Oil level low light is on in the dash warning light display. Have checked the oil level and was fine and topped up to max level but the light is still on? however looking under the car there does appear to be a very slight leak.

2, the front brake pad indicator light always comes on in the dash warning lights. Again there seems to be plenty of depth left on the front pads.

3,Resonating noise coming from the passanger door area during acceleration ( i think it MIGHT be the window or window mechanism/runners??)

4, I have switches in the car for both A/C and Heated Seats but no obvious fitment of a/c under bonnet and button doesn't illuminate when pressed and the seats don't heat up! Is it possible vauxhall fitted the buttons regardless of weather the options were spec'ed or not? ie. didn't use blanking plates for option switches like other manufacturers?

Are any of the above common problems?

Any suggestions or advice VERY MUCH appreciated.

many thanks in advance for any help folks

fraz
1996 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v - Dynamic Dave
1. Might be a dodgy sensor.

2. Does the brake pad warning go out once the brake pedal is pressed, or does it continue to illuminate? If it goes out, then it could well be just a brake light check system. If it stays on then either the front pads are worn, or someone has not changed the brake pad sensors when they changed the pads - which should have been done.

3. No idea.

4. The switches would only be fitted by Vauxhall if the options were there. Maybe the previous owner just wanted to fill the blank spaces, or was on the verge of starting a project and only got as far as that. If you have heated seats, then there should be wires underneath the seat leading up from the floor. Don't mistake them for the seat belt pretensioner wires though. And as you say, no obvious signs of A/C, so there shouldn't be a switch for it.

I generally don't make a habit of promoting other forums, but you could try asking over in cavweb.co.uk

Dave - thanks v. much for your useful pointers. I thought it strange that the switches were fitted but a friend said he thought Vaux might have fitted them 'across the board' regardless of wether the items (a/c + heated seats) were specified or not.

Thanks again Fraz
P.S Dave I have registered for cavweb but am unable to post or read forums all classified as 'private'. Do i have to pay a fee to sign up or am i missing something?
1996 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v - Dynamic Dave
No, it should be free.
1996 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v - Victorbox
The same options were available on the Mk3 Cavalier (same dash) and certainly there only blanking plates were fitted to the dash on the lower models. There is no way Vauxhall would waste precious production pennies on unused switches.
1996 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v - Altea Ego
Thher were more than pennies, the switches were quite complex with little lights in them.

It was common for people to buy them at vauxhall dealers and fit them (push fit - tenner each) to make the interior less low rent (and sell the car on with toys - fake toys)
1996 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v - AlastairW
Could the car have had a replacement dash at some point?
1996 Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16v - Victorbox
The dash is made up of many component parts. All those switches are in minor smaller sections of the dash that can be removed independently of the main structure as anyone who has tried to replace the pea bulb behind the heater sliders will know to their cost! So it is unlikely to be a complete new dash.