What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ka - touristboy
SWMBO is viewing some at the weekend, 97-99 models and I would appreciate any advice on what to look out for. Have read HJ report and various articles and know about the spark plug issue and rusting around petrol cap...

Would you advise her to replace the spark plugs straight away as a matter of course. She wants the central locking version, the mark 2??? Whichever one she gets it has to be an improvement on her metro!
Ford Ka - carl233
Rust is a serious issue on these cars; check the following very carefully for any corrosion:

Around the jack points (the full length both sides)
The under body where the front seat mountings are fitted
Door edges
Inside door frame area
Area where front suspension arms meet the floor

If corrosion is found around the front suspension arm mounting areas the vehicle may eventually require welding. This issue seems to affect a number of Ford vehicles and is not exclusive to the KA. Mechanically these cars are not that bad just make sure you find one with good bodywork. If it was my purchase I would consider waxoyling the car and re-under sealing as well if you want to be through.
Ford Ka - Wales Forester
With regard to the spark plug issue, I would ask the vendor to remove them whilst you watch. This may seem a tad OTT but better to be safe than sorry........
Ford Ka - Vansboy
Wouldn't she rather a Fiesta - better/bigger car for same/less £$£$£ ?

VB
Ford Ka - Keith S
Whats happened to Girlfriends 97 Model:

Rear Wash Wipe Not Working (Simple earth fault - rusty tailgate hinges)
Idle Speed Control Valve
Central Locking / Electric Window Faults
Heater Temperature Control Valve (Sticks on hot or cold)
Wishbone Bushes
Exhausts dont seem to last long
Anti Roll Bar Bushes

Terrible Rust!

But, they are nice cars. Seem a bit overpriced used tho considering they are around £5k new.
Ford Ka - spikeyhead {p}
Drivers door locks are prone to failure
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Ford Ka - frazerjp
I have a Y-reg Ka with 37k on the clock, in the 2 years of ownership so far, ive had no problems apart from needing a new fuel locking cap & needing the tracking checked & adjusted during service, otherwise a sound perchase even in the long term.

But check for rust around the edges of the bottom sill, its a good idea to apply Waxoyl along it for good measure.

Regarding the spark plug & head issue with the Endura E, try & take it out or get the seller to do it in order it comes out ok, if not its best to walk away & it can cost nearly 1k in some cases!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Ford Ka - Avant
It would be interesting to know if anyone has had experience of Ford's anti-corrosion warranty. It ought to apply to the places mentioned by people above - but does it?
Ford Ka - mfarrow
Chasing anti-corrosion warranties are a waste of time. They are mostly only warranted if the car has had its annual inspection at Ford (which will no doubt cost!) and any problems sorted out.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Ford Ka - AndrewMarc
I bought a ford ka S 1998 a year ago. I have had some probs but have good garage and has been cheap to fix. plugs cost me 100quid.
I have some rust but my car was born near the sea but I am planning to run it into the ground and when it eventually fails it will go to car heaven.

It drives really well and will sit on moterway at 90 without weezing.

I do think its girly but i am a cheap yorkshire man so dont care
Ford Ka - touristboy
Cheers for advice everyone, car was purchased today!!

She looked at a few but the one she bought had much better bodywork than the previous efforts and generally in better nick.

Is a base model S reg, she is going to get it undersealed etc during the week.

Fingers crossed it gives here pleasurable motoring, I will keep you informed.

Is purple by the way!
Ford Ka - Bagpuss
Good luck with the car. My wife's had her Ford Ka for three and a half years now and doesn't want to swap it for anything else. No technical problems apart from the aircon needing to be recharged and no rust anywhere. I wasn't that impressed when she originally bought the car but it's turned out to be much more robust than I ever would have expected. It's also surprising fun to drive, though having just come back from an extended stay in the US, it does feel incredibly small.