What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Garage flooring options - c h a r l e s
Hi,

I will be moving into a "new build" house in a few weeks and I'm thinking this is the ideal opportunity to prepare the garage before it is filled with the contents of my existing garage. It's just a single garage.

I've been looking at both PVC floor tiles and epoxy resin coatings.

The floor tiles have the advantage of being portable (so I can take them with me to my next house) and easy to lay. The finish from epoxy resin looks superb though.

Questions:

- Does anyone have any experience of applying epoxy resin to their own garage? What finish have you ended up with and was it worth it? What did it cost to do?
- Alternatively, has anyone purchased the PVC floor tiles and can offer feedback on these?

Ebay seems to offer avenues for purchasing both the floor tiles and the epoxy resin at considerable savings over advertised prices (see following link). Would be interested to know if anyone has gone down this route?

tinyurl.com/eyccf

Link shortened using tinyurl. smokie

Thanks in advance,

Charles
Garage flooring options - martint123
Epoxy with sprinkled sand. Plain epoxy can be very slippery when wet. Not too bad to apply, not sure about costs, as I used 'leftovers'. Nothing seems to touch it, petrol, oil, thinners etc. It can chip if a heavy sharp object drops on it. I hired a concrete grinder to get a better floor surface before doing it as it was quite a roughly laid slab.

I can't follow your (shortened) link - blocked by firewall (adfarm??).

Martin
Garage flooring options - Dynamic Dave
See if either of these links work instead:-

snipurl.com/hrc7
makeashorterlink.com/?K64F260DB
Garage flooring options - martint123
Yup, both those work Dave. I think it must be the way tinyurl redirects via adfarm which my firewall stops (Kerio). If I disable the firewall tinyurl works. Odd, as I'm sure I use tinyurl without problems elsewhere.
cheers
Martin
Garage flooring options - storme
as a garage is for a car,,,,why not just paint it with floor paint

or are you one of those people who will clutter up the road and have a garage full of rubbish
--
www.storme.co.uk
Garage flooring options - NARU
I would definately do something - the concrete dust gets everywhere otherwise. I went the garage floor paint route - its stood up pretty well, but is now a little tatty (after 8 years).
Garage flooring options - nick
Garage floor paint will flake sooner or later. I'd go for a 2-pack coating. Sprinkle a bit of sand if you want it grippy.
Garage flooring options - Cyd
I too moved into my house when it was new. I went the floor paint route. I think a lot of the problems with floor paint flaking and peeling are caused by poor preparation. I used a concrete stabiliser first then the first coat was thinned with 25% white spirit. A second coat was applied unthinned. leave several days to dry. After 6 years my floor is standing up to the abuse very well. The only areas where I've needed to touch up are where i use my trolley jack and axle stands. Take the paint up the walls to the dpc (usually 2 bricks).

Certainly the 2-pack route will ultimately last better though.

Being new build you shouldn't have any trouble with damp as the floor will have a membrane below it. This is the case with mine even though it's detached.

If you've exchanged contracts it's worth asking the builders if they'll let you do the garage floor before you complete. That way it'll be ready when you move in. Bryant were very helpful in that respect for me.
Garage flooring options - Oz
Alternatively try a 1-component pure polyurethane (such as marketed possibly by Ronseal?)
Apply 2 coats, with the first coat being almost water-thin (special thinner needed) to gain maximum penetration and sealing effect. Then (because this will dry rock hard) apply the second coat within the same day - again, fairly well thinned. 2 coats will possibly be enough because you can still get fairly high solids content at low viscosity.
The solvent (e.g. xylene) is smelly but will dissipate quickly.
I have used this on my garage and this coating will resist virtually anything you care to spill on it.

Oz (as was)
Garage flooring options - JH
Charles,
I've painted 2 brand new garage floors now, following the instructions to the letter. In both cases the paint started to flake within weeks, where the tyres usually rest. If I'd known about epoxy resin I'd have used that.

Good luck.
John
Garage flooring options - Kevin
I used a water-based two-part epoxy in light grey applied with a large roller. 10 years old and still looks good after having various toxic substances spilt on it. It does discolour slightly under tyres but a quick wipe down with engine cleaner or swarfega usually gets rid of it. You need to prep the surface well before application by getting rid of any dust or loose material or it can start to flake once dry.

I got mine gratis from a friend who was closing down one of his industrial coatings dealerships so it was well worth the cost.

Kevin...
Garage flooring options - petrolheadnomore
This topic came up a while ago. General opinion seemed to be that 2-part paint pack was the best option and Johnstone's floor paints received many plaudits.

www.johnstones-paints.co.uk/site/johnstones.asp?ca...3

Preparation obviously key factor, but if new then you've probably not got too many problems of dust & grease removal. Might be worth checking with the builder about the date the concrete was laid - some of these paints need to have a minimum period of time for the concrete to cure before painting can be done.