What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford sierra diesel snapped timingbelt - ice1024
after buyin a nice cheap 1990 diesel sierra the timing belt decided it would b a good idea to snap after a supposed 2000 miles sinse it was changed. the garage that fitted it no longer exists lol so i am now left having to sort it myself. altho i have done timing belts on other cars never on a diesel and never without a manual . could anyone tell me where i could download the manual for this car or tell me what i should watch for in doing this repair.
ford sierra diesel snapped timingbelt - Rocketron
Has it not wrecked the engine then? I thought they all did if the timing belt snapped on diesels.
ford sierra diesel snapped timingbelt - daveyjp
It won't completely wreck the engine - I had one go on a Fiesta 1.8 dieselwhich cost £900 to rectify.
ford sierra diesel snapped timingbelt - Galaxy
And a 1990 Diesel Sierra is worth £.......?

Sorry but it's probably beyond economical repair. You could buy another car cheaper than repairing this one, unless, of course, you;ve got away with just the belt breaking and no other damage.

However, on the diesel I think this is unknown.
ford sierra diesel snapped timingbelt - Civic8
Suggests it was not changed in the first place,to my knowledge I cannot remember a new belt snapping at 2k miles.Unless it was incorrectly tensioned,I doubt if other damage that may have been caused would be worth doing.Only a stripdown will tell this,and suspect not worth doing.Only MO
--
Steve
ford sierra diesel snapped timingbelt - sierraman
Haynes do a Ford diesel engine manual.If you are near Leeds I have a 1.8 turbo diesel spare.It would need taking out of the car it is in...
ford sierra diesel snapped timingbelt - daveyjp
It could be that only the belt was changed. It is imperative on these engines that all the tensioners are changed at the same time, but some garages just change the belt. It was a tensioenr which went on mine, the belt was OK when the engine was dismantled.
ford sierra diesel snapped timingbelt - autumnboy
If you're lucky, you may ahve only bent a few valves. But most likely the Camshaft has broken, Camshaft bearing cap broken and valves bent. In this case its a replacement head or engine.

These engines are famously known for the Cam belt failures mostly due for the tensioner failure.