Golf III Coolant problem - cottontop
Hi all,

1st post...Ive just had my 108,000 mile Golf Estate from its 1st 10k service in my ownership. I'd asked the Indy VW garage to look at a coolant leak I had (loss of coolant once the engine was warmed up).

They've come back to me saying that the car needs a new pump and radiator costing £260 plus VAT in total . I'm not totally 100% with car and was wondering what people thought ? Have any of you had similar problems in the past, do you think the money is too much ??

Cheers

Richard
Golf III Coolant problem - adverse camber
Well, I have replaced the radiators in several Audi A4's at around the 100K point, rads cost ~£70 from a motor factor.
Water pumps again I would say are looking at replacement at that sort of milage. Last one I bought was for a 5 cyl audi tdi and was £35 from audi(+35 surcharge against the exchange unit). So how reasonable is that on the labour front ?

Is the t/belt on the water pump on your engine ? If so are you due a change (60K ?) IS that included ?

Golf III Coolant problem - madf
It's cheap if a VW dealer. £250 for a TDI belt change.

madf

Golf III Coolant problem - cottontop
The £260 is for a new water pump and radiator to be fitted (includes labour). The timing belt is due in 10k miles time.
Golf III Coolant problem- continued !! - cottontop
Hi all,

I got the radiator and water pump fitted this week so was a bit surprised to see the coolant temp light flashing after a sunday drive today. Did some checking out and noticed that the garage had put G12 coolant in and not G11 (as the sign next to the reservoir says !!) also the level was a few cm below the "low" level.

Question 1 - Does it matter if they put in G12 when it states G11 (bearing in mind the cars done 108k) ?

Question 2 - Do you think the light came on as there wasn't a satisfactory amount of coolant in the car ?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Richard
Golf III Coolant problem- continued !! - mak
Hello Cottontop,

In respect to Q1, you should not mix G11 with G12. Although the engine was drained with parts replaced, was ALL of the old G11 drained from the system? Personally I would have used G12 Plus (purple) which can be mixed with G11.

Martin
Golf III Coolant problem- continued !! - cottontop
The existing coolant was removed and G12 (red/orange)used. I have bought some G12+ to get it up to the min/max level then we'll see where it goes from there....
Golf III Coolant problem- continued !! - Robble
From what I've read, you should NEVER mix the G11 and G12 coolant even if all the G11 has been drained out beacause they react inside the engine and clog up all the wather pathways. You can replace G11 with G12+, but not G12. I should get the G12 drained out ASAP and get some G12+ in there.

Sounds like you already have problem if the light was flashing and your engine overheating. The garage have made a big blunder.