What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rover 200 1.1 - Matt Kelly
A colleague is considering buying one of these - in the car by car breakdown it says that this engine is not a good performer for its size.
What are we talking about here ? Real snail's pace, unacceptable noisy at motorway speed ? He's replacing an elderly 309 diesel so he's hardly used to the highest level of refinement.

Any experiences welcome.

Thanks.
Re: Rover 200 1.1 - Gerard Somers

I used to own arover 214 - with a 1396cc K series engine - I don't think Rover brought out an 1100cc version - if they did it WILL be woefully underpowered as the 1.1 was used in the much smaller Metro and Rover 100 series.
The 214 is however perfectly adequately powered.
Re: Rover 200 1.1 - David W
Matt,

The 1.1 may actually seem far more refined than an old diesel. The performance will be broadly similar but the feeling of mid-range torque absent.

David
Re: Rover 200 1.1 - Honest John
The car by car breakdown does not say what Matt says it says. It does quote David at length about 200 diesels, but does not state that the 1.1 is not a good performer.

HJ
Re: Oh yes it does !! - Matt Kelly
Well it is still the panto season :

And I quote :

"What's Good
Compact. Good looking. Low wind noise at speed. Stainless steel kickplate 'Rover' image. All good performers for their engine size apart from 1.1 and 1.4 8-valve. Vi, fitted with MGF VVC engine tremendously quick and also very economical. Perky 1.6 CVT automatic offers instant acceleration out of side roads. 1.1 replaced Rover 100 as a sub-£10,000 offering. All have three three-point rear belts. One of the few cars offering warm air to the feet and fresh air to the face at the same time."

I'm talking about newer Rover 200, same shape as 25, not the old stylee half Honda, half Rover jobs.